XFX RX 480 Black Edition OC PCB Photo & Info

M4st4M1nd

Looks much better than the red PCB's I've seen floating about. Lets hope these OC well too :)

XFX is planning at least 2 and likely 3 RX 480 models for launch day. There will be 2 Black Edition cards, one with a heavier factory OC as well as the stock AMD card. For the RX 480 Black Edition OC, the card will run at 1328 MHz and comes with a DP to DVI-D adapter as well as a nice black backplate. The normal Black Edition still features a factory OC but a relatively minor one, clocking in at 1288 MHz.

AMD-XFX-Black-Edition-RX-480-1.jpg

http://www.eteknix.com/xfx-rx-480-black-edition-oc-pictured/

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

wow. Thats an interesting PCB layout. have the power delivery near the back of the card. also, that's a boodly small card.

- snip-

12 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

wow. Thats an interesting PCB layout. have the power delivery near the back of the card. also, that's a boodly small card.

with a blower mean core will be cooled better than VRM

but that indeed looks freaky... I wonder what's the reasoning behind that... maybe some kind of noise reduction?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

10 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I, for once, would like to see a red PCB. Not the flashy kind, but a dark red color would be badass.

I'm inclined to disagree, give me a nice black PCB any day. Any other color limits your color scheme or throws off the one you have, even with a large cooling solution on the card, you can still see them 90% of the time. Flashy fan shrouds is one thing, keep the PCB neutral.

Also the red PCB just makes me think of a cheap product. 

My 2 cents. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

35 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Looks much better than the red PCB's I've seen floating about. Lets hope these OC well too :)

AMD-XFX-Black-Edition-RX-480-1.jpg

http://www.eteknix.com/xfx-rx-480-black-edition-oc-pictured/

If a AIB puts a 8 pin and more than 6 VRMs, will it lead to better OCs on the RX 480?

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

2 minutes ago, derick90 said:

I'm inclined to disagree, give me a nice black PCB any day. Any other color limits your color scheme

a white PCB, like the HOF cards... but even whiter, cus those look kinda gray because of the dark traces

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Seems kind of small, maybe the cooler will hang over the PCB (like what Nvidia had on the GTX 670)

21 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I, for once, would like to see a red PCB. Not the flashy kind, but a dark red color would be badass.

10 minutes ago, derick90 said:

I'm inclined to disagree, give me a nice black PCB any day. Any other color limits your color scheme or throws off the one you have, even with a large cooling solution on the card, you can still see them 90% of the time. Flashy fan shrouds is one thing, keep the PCB neutral.

Also the red PCB just makes me think of a cheap product. 

My 2 cents. 

^this

Red PCB = ugly af. it also reminds me of decade old products and stuff.. So pls no red PCB

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

a white PCB, like the HOF cards... but even whiter, cus those look kinda gray because of the dark traces

As I love black/white builds i would agree, but in the spirit of neutrality, even white can throw it off, but i do love some HOF cards ~.^ 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

35 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

If a AIB puts a 8 pin and more than 6 VRMs, will it lead to better OCs on the RX 480?

No idea. But possibly won't see much of an increase in OC performance from that tbh. These seem to be pretty damn cool and low powered chips. I imagine they'll OC quite well on custom PCB's with just a 6pin connector.

still looks like a 6 pin? Not surprising, they dont allow voltage control on their cards (at least they didnt back in the 200 series days)

6 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

still looks like a 6 pin? Not surprising, they dont allow voltage control on their cards (at least they didnt back in the 200 series days)

With the rx480 they are releasing a new tool so that you can control the voltage :)

source: http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-2/

2 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

With the rx480 they are releasing a new tool so that you can control the voltage :)

source: http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-2/

Great... now what am i going to do with my 2x 8 pin extensions =\

HeadsetLogitech G430  

56 minutes ago, DXMember said:

with a blower mean core will be cooled better than VRM

but that indeed looks freaky... I wonder what's the reasoning behind that... maybe some kind of noise reduction?

reckon it has to do with being able to squash it smaller.

- snip-

1 hour ago, derick90 said:

Great... now what am i going to do with my 2x 8 pin extensions =\

With the way GPUs are heading now where they are getting more and more efficient I feel you will have to put them in a box and never use them again lol.

2 minutes ago, SuperShires said:

With the way GPUs are heading now where they are getting more and more efficient I feel you will have to put them in a box and never use them again lol.

Please dont say that... They're pretty though!

HeadsetLogitech G430  

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

Please dont say that... They're pretty though!

You and me both, goodbye my cablemod cables :(

I'll find somewhere to stick them dammit, even if it's zip tying them to the back wall.... 

HeadsetLogitech G430  

5 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

isn't this reference design?

I think Black Editions are reference design,

I think XFX doesn't do custom PCB at all even with their DD coolers

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

No, no, no.  We need a WHITE edition.  White pcb or backplate at least.

There's only one brand that does white PCBs: Galax 

2 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

There's only one brand that does white PCBs: Galax 

That's why I said backplate at least. I know all about the hof. :)  

6 hours ago, Minibois said:

Seems kind of small, maybe the cooler will hang over the PCB (like what Nvidia had on the GTX 670)

^this

Red PCB = ugly af. it also reminds me of decade old products and stuff.. So pls no red PCB

I have my mug sitting on the remains of a card that had a red PCB.. IMO, that's the only thing they're good for.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

8 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I have my mug sitting on the remains of a card that had a red PCB.. IMO, that's the only thing they're good for.

Couldn't agree more! or perhaps a heavy frisbee lol 

HeadsetLogitech G430