My computer reaches 80 Degrees C when playing games!

Hey my computer reaches 80 degrees C when playing "demanding" games such as GTA 5 and it used to be around 60-65 at it's highest. Recently it's been exceeding that and I have no idea why! I'm using the Corsair H55 water cooler as well. Here are my specs...

AMD A8-6600K
Corsair H55
16GB Dual Channel Corsair RAM
GTX 560TI
MSI A78-E35
1tb HDD
2X Samsung 850 EVO 250GB RAID 0
500W Corsair PSU
NZXT S340 Case
I've had a look on AMD website at my CPU and it says that it can damage it if it gets hotter than 75 degrees C and when running chrome and spotify it reaches roughly 67 degrees C. This is kinda worrying... hahaha Oh also I've got a fan in the back and 2 fans in the front of the case (I used to have the water cooler mounted on the back but it was creating dust problems fast. I only have 3 case fans in total). Oh also it's a positive air flow too. Thanks! 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Is the pump functioning? Stop all the fans in your system. If it's not vibrating, you have a slight problem.

I'll have a look thanks and do I need to replace the water every now and then I had it for like 5 months?

5 minutes ago, Aztec said:

I'll have a look thanks and do I need to replace the water every now and then I had it for like 5 months?

No. The watercooler should have enough water until it ceases to function completely.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

No. The watercooler should have enough water until it ceases to function completely.

If one uses destilled water, will it matter? even for couple of degrees? I mean, it should, as salts and what not will not be in there and transfered around the system

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Okay, I'll check it tomorrow as it's kinda late in the UK and I'll see better in daylight thanks.

35 minutes ago, Aztec said:

It's a sealed unit. You can't open it to change the fluid. 

The H55 isn't very good either. Just make sure it has good fans on it at a reasonable speed. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 6/26/2016 at 5:53 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

It's a sealed unit. You can't open it to change the fluid. 

The H55 isn't very good either. Just make sure it has good fans on it at a reasonable speed. 

It should be good since it's Corsair but it used to be 65 degrees C at max when playing games.

On 6/26/2016 at 5:16 PM, TheRandomness said:

Is the pump functioning? Stop all the fans in your system. If it's not vibrating, you have a slight problem.

Hey I've disconnected all the fans and I can feel the pump so it's working.

2 hours ago, Aztec said:

It should be good since it's Corsair

Careful.

H55 is an entry level, low end cooler.

Just because it's Corsair doesn't mean it will magically make your temperatures any lower than any other AIO with that size radiator and similar fans.

9 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Careful.

H55 is an entry level, low end cooler.

Just because it's Corsair doesn't mean it will magically make your temperatures any lower than any other AIO with that size radiator and similar fans.

fair enough I get you, do you think it's because it's summer too?

Summer certainly doesn't help us here in Australia... raising CPU temps anywhere from +10*c to +15*c

But mine does go up a bit (58-61*c Maxed Winter> 72-74*c Maxed Summer)

But other countries Summertimes could be better or worse.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

A friend had the same issue with his air cooled system and turned out it was just excessive amounts of dust on the cooler. Is you system clean enough ? 

12 hours ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

A friend had the same issue with his air cooled system and turned out it was just excessive amounts of dust on the cooler. Is you system clean enough ? 

Hey I've cleaned it and moved the location roughly 1 month ago so I don't think it would have had like loads of time for the bust to build up if you get me?

17 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Summer certainly doesn't help us here in Australia... raising CPU temps anywhere from +10*c to +15*c

But mine does go up a bit (58-61*c Maxed Winter> 72-74*c Maxed Summer)

But other countries Summertimes could be better or worse.

I thought with it being water cooled, it wouldn't make much of a difference but I'm in the UK (North East) so it's not very warm tbh and it used to be 38 on idle and now it's 60 on idle.

2 hours ago, Aztec said:

Hey I've cleaned it and moved the location roughly 1 month ago so I don't think it would have had like loads of time for the bust to build up if you get me?

You are probably right and I guess that given you are using a water cooler you know how to clean it properly. My friend cleaned it but didn't clean the dust between the metal parts on the cooler so there was no airflow and it was basically like he didn't use a cooler at all. Are you sure the radiator fans are spinning like normal ? It might be an issue with the motors being broken and not being able to ramp up when needed. I had that happen on my laptop's fan before.

I would say it has to do with summer since your system is only 5 months old.  Not long enough for dust.  Also since the pump and fans are working I would have to say that it isn't the cooler it's self.

Remember that even though water cooling is better at removing the heat from the cpu, it's ability to transfer temperature to the room is influenced pretty much the same as an air cooler.  Ambient will swing the cooling ability on both (larger and more radiators won't be affected quite as much but will be noticeable)

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

16 hours ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

You are probably right and I guess that given you are using a water cooler you know how to clean it properly. My friend cleaned it but didn't clean the dust between the metal parts on the cooler so there was no airflow and it was basically like he didn't use a cooler at all. Are you sure the radiator fans are spinning like normal ? It might be an issue with the motors being broken and not being able to ramp up when needed. I had that happen on my laptop's fan before.

how would I check the motors? I'm sure I've cleaned it out properly since I remember there was a sh*t ton of dust coming out between the metal parts in the cooler so that's all clear. 

14 hours ago, Psittac said:

I would say it has to do with summer since your system is only 5 months old.  Not long enough for dust.  Also since the pump and fans are working I would have to say that it isn't the cooler it's self.

Remember that even though water cooling is better at removing the heat from the cpu, it's ability to transfer temperature to the room is influenced pretty much the same as an air cooler.  Ambient will swing the cooling ability on both (larger and more radiators won't be affected quite as much but will be noticeable)

#PCGAMERPROBLEMS haha yeah I get what you mean, just like I didn't think it would be affected as much since it used to be at like 38 when idle and now it's 60 and using only about 4% of CPU power too! I understand it's not the best cooler out there but I didn't think it would make too much of a difference giving that it's 13 degrees C outside. 

28 minutes ago, Aztec said:

how would I check the motors? I'm sure I've cleaned it out properly since I remember there was a sh*t ton of dust coming out between the metal parts in the cooler so that's all clear. 

Use some monitoring tool to see the spin rate of the fan while running a stress test

6 minutes ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

Use some monitoring tool to see the spin rate of the fan while running a stress test

As stated by @HeadsUpHigh use a monitoring tool to detect the spin rate. Depending on your motherboard you should have software included with it to help monitor and control your fans. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

7 hours ago, deansmylie1993 said:

As stated by @HeadsUpHigh use a monitoring tool to detect the spin rate. Depending on your motherboard you should have software included with it to help monitor and control your fans. 

It's 13 degrees C outside and dropped down to 46 then goes up to 55 when Idle (4% CPU usage). It's weird haha. I'm using Speccy to read the CPU temps and I've also used Corsair software too (not at the same time). I don't have an expensive motherboard so it won't really have that sort of feature on it I don't think. 

10 hours ago, Aztec said:

It's 13 degrees C outside and dropped down to 46 then goes up to 55 when Idle (4% CPU usage). It's weird haha. I'm using Speccy to read the CPU temps and I've also used Corsair software too (not at the same time). I don't have an expensive motherboard so it won't really have that sort of feature on it I don't think. 

You dont need to have an expensive motherboard to have CPU monitoring. At least 90% of boards have CPU monitoring features. 

How is your fan setup optimized? 

Another reason this could be happening is the Cooler might not be seated properly. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

If you have removed the CPU recently, Make sure you have reapplied the thermal paste correctly. 

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

11 hours ago, deansmylie1993 said:

You dont need to have an expensive motherboard to have CPU monitoring. At least 90% of boards have CPU monitoring features. 

How is your fan setup optimized? 

Another reason this could be happening is the Cooler might not be seated properly. 

I've had the rad mounted in the back of the system before but loads of dust built up in 2 months or less. Also, I don't have a fan at the top but it was 60-65 when under load (in the same config as shown).

20160630_194216.jpg