Can Skylake as opposed to Haswell be used for anything besides Gaming or......?

Hi,

Currently deciding what the CPU should be for my soon to be PC Build later on this year and I was wondering, CAN Skylake truly be used for anything besides Gaming..?

The CPUs I'm referring to is the 6600k and 6700k.

The reason I'm curious is because, the CPU for me at the moment is currently the hardest decision, I've got all of the other components sorted and now I just gotta figure out the CPU, budget and maaaybe a monitor (x2? ;)) but that's a different story.

I have several intended purposes and the CPU I'm liking the look of is the 5820k but that's raising my budget a little bit too much. :/

Also... this ties in as one of my intended purposes for this build.

http://bit.ly/28Zbv82

Thanks ~ Xiauj ^_^

Edited by Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

What do you WANT to use your computer for?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Hi,

Currently deciding what the CPU should be for my soon to be PC Build later on this year and I was wondering, CAN Skylake truly be used for anything besides Gaming..?

The reason I'm curious is because, the CPU for me at the moment is currently the hardest decision, I've got all of the other components sorted and now I just gotta figure out the CPU, budget and maaaybe a monitor (x2? ;)) but that's a different story.

I have several intended purposes and the CPU I'm liking the look of is the 5820k but that's raising my budget a little bit too much. :/

http://bit.ly/269vQLU

Thanks ~ Xiauj ^_^

Skylake will work for rendering as well. The 6700(k) can virtualize or render or do anything really.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

What else would you want to use it for?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

@HPWebcamAble

@NinjaJc01

@Clanscorpia

--------------------------

Just realized I put the wrong link, have fixed that.

My intended purposes are:

• Gaming, Video/Photo Editing, Programming, Game/App Development and a lot of Rendering within CINEMA 4D.

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

@HPWebcamAble

@NinjaJc01

@Clanscorpia

--------------------------

Just realized I put the wrong link, will fix that now.

• Gaming, Video/Photo Editing, Programming, Game/App Development and a lot of Rendering within CINEMA 4D.

Should be fine, but an X99 board may be better.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

4 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Hi,

http://bit.ly/269vQLU

Thanks ~ Xiauj ^_^

Skylake isn't a "gaming" CPU, it's just that, a CPU. It'll do anything you want it to do like rendering, calculations if you do a lot of scientific shit, or even play games.

What else are you wanting it to do, make you a grilled cheese sandwich or something?

I'm a little confused. Are you asking if CPUs are separated by purpose -- like some can only run games, some can only run Excel, others can only run Photoshop?

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Yep, pretty much any CPU works for those. Skylake CPUs are some of the most recent ones so they're the best right now.

Rendering is better on GPUs though.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

What else are you wanting it to do, make you a grilled cheese sandwich or something?

Listed reasons are above.

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I wish my CPU made grilled cheese sandwiches!

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Listed reasons are above.

Posted reply right as you listed the reasons...

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I wish my CPU made grilled cheese sandwiches!

Technically it probably could only once though lol.

Just take the heatsink off and throw your sandwich on it and fire her up ;)

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Technically it probably could only once though lol.

Just take the heatsink off and throw your sandwich on it and fire her up ;)

I do have an old socket 478 athlon actually, and I reckon, frying pan, thermal compound and P95 might work.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Should be fine, but an X99 board may be better.

Yeah, this is true.

I do prefer them, not gonna lie. Lol :P.

8 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Yep, pretty much any CPU works for those. Skylake CPUs are some of the most recent ones so they're the best right now.

Rendering is better on GPUs though.

Well that's the problem you see because, some render engines are set by default to use the CPU and I don't actually know if you can change that or not because:

• The standard, physical and arnold renderers I think uses the CPU and
    • If I were to say render an animation and it would take say... 3-4 minutes for one frame then multiply that by [X] number of frames, would the 6700k be able to handle that? Because if you have an animation of say I dunno... 600 frames, that could take quite a few >HOURS< and what I'm trying to ask is, 
  • Can the 6700k handle a long hourly session whilst at a high CPU usage..? That's whats concerning me the most, with a 6700k.

As for the Octane renderer, that uses the GPU I think, might have to check that.

Yeah, this is true.

I do prefer them, not gonna lie. Lol :P.

Well that's the problem you see because, some render engines are set by default to use the CPU and I don't actually know if you can change that or not because:

• The standard, physical and arnold renderers I think uses the CPU and
    • If I were to say render an animation and it would take say... 3-4 minutes for one frame then multiply that by [X] number of frames, would the 6700k be able to handle that? Because if you have an animation of say I dunno... 600 frames, that could take quite a few >HOURS< and what I'm trying to ask is, 
  • Can the 6700k handle a long hourly session whilst at a high CPU usage..? That's whats concerning me the most, with a 6700k.

As for the Octane renderer, that uses the GPU I think, might have to check that.

Yeah, a properly cooled 6700k could handle that.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Also guys....

I really hate to be rude :( but, grilled cheese sandwiches aren't quite relevant despite the fact I'm now feeling hungry  :P !

Also guys....

I really hate to be rude :( but, grilled cheese sandwiches aren't quite relevant despite the fact I'm now feeling hungry  :P !

Sorry...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Can the 6700k handle a long hourly session whilst at a high CPU usage..?

Yes, if you keep the temps safe (under 85 C is good)

Of course, I'd expect any decent rendering software to correctly use the GPU while actually rendering anything.

5 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

I run most of my CPUs 24/7 under Prime95 like loads. Just do two things: have sensible cooling and avoid extreme overclocks.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Yeah, a properly cooled 6700k could handle that.

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Yes, if you keep the temps safe (under 85 C is good)

Of course, I'd expect any decent rendering software to correctly use the GPU while actually rendering anything.

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I run most of my CPUs 24/7 under Prime95 like loads. Just do two things: have sensible cooling and avoid extreme overclocks.

Oh... erm... this could change the conversation entirely but I definitely need to ask you guys about this.

I'm not touching liquid cooling as a part of this build. I forgot to mention until now and I apologize for a little bit of confusion -_- Sorry!! This is primarily because, AIR Cooling is my personal preference which is why I'm concerned if a 6700k can handle hourly-consuming tasks within CINEMA 4D. I know it can handle Gaming which is good to know.

My CPU-Cooler will probably be a Noctua NH-D15 AIR Cooler, I've heard it's quite good and I'm not concerned about the price too much; as long as the total cost doesn't go sky high.

I do plan to overclock the 6700k/_____ but have never done it before, will be asking LTT Forums for some help and advice once the build is fully working! :D

For Octane, Gaming and whatever else where the GPU is needed, I'll be using a GTX 1070 (Not sure whose version!), not a RX 480. I decided to not go for a RX 480.

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Sorry...

Don't be sorry, It's ok don't worry about it ^_^, it's just that I heard a lot of "pinging notification-noises" from Google Chrome, haha!

I'd recommend the 5820K for programming and especially game development because you are going to be rendering a lot for development and a 12 thread CPU will greatly help in that.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Oh... erm... this could change the conversation entirely but I definitely need to ask you guys about this.

I'm not touching liquid cooling as a part of this build. I forgot to mention until now and I apologize for a little bit of confusion -_- Sorry!! This is primarily because, AIR Cooling is my personal preference which is why I'm concerned if a 6700k can handle hourly-consuming tasks within CINEMA 4D. I know it can handle Gaming which is good to know.

My CPU-Cooler will probably be a Noctua NH-D15 AIR Cooler, I've heard it's quite good and I'm not concerned about the price too much; as long as the total cost doesn't go sky high.

I do plan to overclock the 6700k/_____ but have never done it before, will be asking LTT Forums for some help and advice once the build is fully working! :D

For Octane, Gaming and whatever else where the GPU is needed, I'll be using a GTX 1070 (Not sure whose version!), not a RX 480. I decided to not go for a RX 480.

Don't be sorry, It's ok don't worry about it ^_^, it's just that I heard a lot of "pinging notification-noises" from Google Chrome, haha!

Air cooling should be fine. I would personally say either the D15 as you suggested or a Cryorig, especially the high end ones.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I'd recommend the 5820K for programming and especially game development because you are going to be rendering a lot for development and a 12 thread CPU will greatly help in that.

True and because it's a Hex-core AND can overclock. Read above for a little bit more info btw :P 

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Air cooling should be fine. I would personally say either the D15 as you suggested or a Cryorig, especially the high end ones.

Sweet!

Just checked on PCPartPicker to see if it's even compatible and yes, it's compatible thank goodness! :)