Mass Effect: Andromeda will ditch Paragon/Renegade system in favor of "more shades of grey", and won't acknowledge your ME3 ending

Bouzoo

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-logo.jpg

Apparently, Bioware is ditching the traditional ME Paragon/Renegade from the now old trilogy in favor of a new system.

If you haven't played any previous ME games, P/R meant that sometime in dialogues, you would have 2 options, 1 Renegade (red) option, which meant the you were going on the dark side, and 1 Paragon (blue) option, which meant that you wanted to be a hero, while in reality you lied to yourself about being good because you really wanted to punch that dude. It's really just fancy names for good and evil. But things are about to change.

According to Mac Walters, the creative director of ME:A, that is sort of "too easy" and not what they want at the moment. Instead, players will have more "grey" options, which won't always hint if they are good or bad. This could mean we could have even more options to choose from, which could lead to even more complex character development.

“I think in general, with all this sophistication of games or engaging in any kind of entertainment right now, [gamers are] looking for more of those shades of grey”.

Walters thinks the old system “was a core part of who Shepard was” and fit with the original trilogy, but when it comes to the future, “I think now we’re moving away from that. We’ve been looking for other ways to engage more of those shades of grey; less about it being obviously being right or wrong and more about giving people a sense of choice”.

Additionally, Mas Walters and Aaron Flynn, BioWare studio boss, have revealed that ME:A won't acknowledge your ME3 ending. All your decisions and things you've done won't (almost) mean anything in the new game. However, that doesn't mean that ME lore of previous games will be lost. It will be present somewhere in the background. 

"We acknowledged it in the endings of Mass Effect 3 and I think that's where we want to leave it for now," Flynn said.

"We want this to be a new story and it would be very hard to say it's a new story but also that you need to understand how [the past trilogy] ended."

"It's important for us to have elements from the Trilogy for fans to have in the background," Walters explained. "Ultimately this is intended to be a fresh story, but we want to have things for people to find and go 'oh, I remember that character'.

I'm all in for this, for both things. For new decision making system because this could lead to even more complex character development which could result in more unique interactions between you and your team which, for me, is the most important thing in ME games. Could this mean we could have even more different endings depending on how good/bad we are? I certainly hope so. 

Now imagine if they decided to use your previous endings in the new games. That could mean too much unnecessary work for something just to be mentioned here and there. I would like to see it, but I can understand them. I'm sure they will mention some characters, like for instance, Wrex, and you'll get manly tears, but they won't go into specifics if he survived, died or something after the game, depending on your ending.

What do you think? Want the traditional system or are you prone to changes? Upset about all of your hard work not being implemented in the new game?

Sources: 

New system

A new beginning

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Hey, I loved my ME3 ending. Though, to acknowledge it, the whole game of Andromeda would have to be written differently.

**Spoiler**

Shepard has become one with everything, and organics and synths have merged and ascended into new, perfectly considering while feeling beings.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Hey, I loved my ME3 ending. Though, to acknowledge it, the whole game of Andromeda would have to be written differently.

**Spoiler**

Shepard has become one with everything, and organics and synths have merged and ascended into new, perfectly considering while feeling beings.

The ending was horse shit :D - no offense but I wanted to see my work gathering the largest fleet in the universe pay off, not get raped since I told the god child to go stick it up his bum

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Thing is it won't. Not the whole game at least. This will be a new galaxy (Andromeda), and the synthesis happened only in Milky Way. No one in Andromeda was affected by it. 

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

The ending was horse shit :D - no offense but I wanted to see my work gathering the largest fleet in the universe pay off, not get raped since I told the god child to go stick it up his bum

Sounds like you gave a different response :)

I think the ending I experienced is beautiful, and the most powerful possibility: Which is mightier, a fleet of ships, or a living omni-being that is present and a part of everything in the galaxy? Think of all the millions of orgasms Shepard is feeling every moment from all the creatures in the galaxy. Also, Shepard is a part of all ongoing in the galaxy in the 'green' ending, including all ship circuitry, and creature thought, meaning he is influencing all fleet of ships, and their commanders, more than any of their captains or crew are.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

One thing that isn't appealing to me in Andromeda is the 'band of heroes on a ship' element copied straight from the old games.

Well you are in a new galaxy, you came on a ship, there are not many places you can go to and many things you can do. Maybe this is just the start. Maybe we will see in other games HQ or something similar, but I highly doubt it. If you are to explore the whole galaxy, you will have to be on a ship, and naturally have your crew with you. 

I am so disappointed by these news. I read the title and was expecting more BDSM stuff in the new ME, but as it turns out the "more shades of grey" were referring to choices not being morally black or white, not the literary masterpiece formally known as "Master of the Universe".

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Hey, I loved my ME3 ending.

I liked the (and my) ending too. But it needs to be experienced after playing the leviathan dlc.

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Think of all the millions of orgasms Shepard is feeling every moment from all the creatures in the galaxy.

This was the culmination of all the boning Shepard did throughout all the games, becoming one with all orgasms of the universe everywhere.

I never knew the ending was so deep. ;)

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

How many shades of grey will there be? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Fuck Bioware. I poured thousands of hours into playing ME2 over a hundred times for the "wonderfully different" experiences that would come in the third game. I hope their company goes bankrupt.

It's not even the same character and considering they are in a completely different galaxy, it's very likely that they do not have news of what happened since they left. It makes entire sense really.

12 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Thing is it won't. Not the whole game at least. This will be a new galaxy (Andromeda), and the synthesis happened only in Milky Way. No one in Andromeda was affected by it. 

There are multiple ending choices, including one in which Shepard lives.

12 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Getting over a certain amount allows for an additional ending in which Shepard lives.

I never felt upset about the final scene. The whole journey felt like I spent the entire time saying goodbye. There was never going to be a final scene that lived up to expectations so I just enjoyed the journey.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Enough to call it an abusive relationship?

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Enough for my professor with a PhD in Psychology to legitimately argue that it teaches 'women want to be raped.'

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I loved all 3 ME games and feel reasonable confident that I will enjoy this.

I do hope that they don't mess up the dlc strategy. I was very unhappy with how they handled Mass Effect 3 dlc. Things like from ashes (Javik- prothean character) and Leviathan are just way too important to the core story for it to be relegated to dlc. They directly affect the players understanding of the plot and lore. It bothers me that some players did not experience that.

On 6/22/2016 at 7:47 AM, No Nrg said:

This was the culmination of all the boning Shepard did throughout all the games, becoming one with all orgasms of the universe everywhere.

I never knew the ending was so deep. ;)

When it snows, it's because Shepard is cumming.

Do you know what? Why not.

If they just made another Mass Effect game it would just feel hollow without Shepard in it somewhere.

Do something new with the franchise. The ME Universe is far too interesting to just sit idle with one game concept.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Good. I don't want it to acknowledge my ending... not because I hated it (because I didn't) but because I want a completely new game that has a new story.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I wonder which of the endings will be canon?

Mass+Effect+3+Ending+Joke.jpg

Hahahah like it matters.

At least they state your choices won't be used in the new game.

endings-e1333226268925.jpg

Hahaha like it matters.

rcLg7qzXi.png

I really loved the Mass Effect game.. until the ending of the third games went full retard. I'm very interested in seeing a new Mass Effect game with up to date graphics, but not only do they need to convince me after the travesty of the third game, since it's EA it will be a 120€ for the version with the season pass to get the ending to the second dlc that was an extension of the first dlc, that served as an ending for the final chapter of the main game. Yeah no thanks.

Because of the shitty bioware points never going on sale, and it's the only way you can buy the dlc, because frack reason, the 3-4 year old dlc's are still as expensive as a 1 year old AAA game (actually the 1 year old Wolfenstein The New Order is actually half of 1 ME3 DLC).

This game is not out for at least half a year, and I'm already tired of it.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I hope it actually turns out nice. I don't like the idea of not knowing the "type" I'm going for though...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

think mass effect 3 was a very good game. Missions like curing the genophage are probably some of the best emotional highs I got in gaming.

the reason why they do not need to canonise any of the endings is that the ark ship which carries survivors from multiple species in cryo-sleep left the milky way before the end of the 3rd game. And they travelled for hundreds of years in cryo sleep to wake up in andromeda where they have a chance to build a new galactic civilization far away from the reapers. This plan was a fail safe since there were no guarantees on the outcome of reaper war. And now they wake up so far away in andromeda that they have no hope of finding out what happened or establishing contact. I think it's a compelling backstory to start the new game.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

think mass effect 3 was a very good game. Missions like curing the genophage are probably some of the best emotional highs I got in gaming.

the reason why they do not need to canonise any of the endings is that the ark ship which carries survivors from multiple species in cryo-sleep left the milky way before the end of the 3rd game. And they travelled for hundreds of years in cryo sleep to wake up in andromeda where they have a chance to build a new galactic civilization far away from the reapers. This plan was a fail safe since there were no guarantees on the outcome of reaper war. And now they wake up so far away in andromeda that they have no hope of finding out what happened or establishing contact. I think it's a compelling backstory to start the new game.

To be fair, I think ME3 was the best game, when looking at the whole package. :ph34r:

What I'm interested in is how many humans have left Earth. After all we saw multiple N7 members in the first promo iirc. You say civilization, but that's not doable if like only 4 people left earth. And for now we only know Krogans and Asari have either "landed" safe in Andromeda, or have been there in the first place, with you or w/o if I've no idea about, so which civilizations are with you will be interesting to see. 

Hopefully they add more options to each dialogue instead of just giving benefits for being a shade of grey in general. Wish I could remember an exact example but typically these sorts of games just have two options and they'd be something ridiculously polar opposite like "Set him free and give him a 100 credits for his trouble" or "KILL HIM! KILL HIS FAMILY! KILL HIS DOG! BUT LEAVE HIS CATS SO THEY CAN EAT THE EVIDENCE!" I'd be like...oh, gee, I really just wanted him arrested and sent to jail but between the two I guess I'll end a bloodline and create a cat sanctuary with the money I saved.