Apple...

ItsMinJunLol

Hi guys, I really want things like GTX 1080s and Core i7-6700k in a osx ver. Why hasn't apple done shit in the computer part? Like, if they don't give a shit about computers now. Their mac 'pro' costs 4000$. You can get f*ckin double, or maybe triple the perf for half the price. I really like the apple OS, but I really hate that they don't have much support for anything. Like, no support for DDR4? Really? Can't put the latest, at least somewhat good graphics card? Can't shove a i7-6700k in? You can't download games that are better than mac supported ones?. I know apple's not focusing on gaming, but some people who game just are too fond of their OS. I tried using a windows, but I can't. apple's OS is much better BUT no support. Just shit. If you aren't gonna improve your hardware and performance, why don't you just sell the OS like windows? Or at least make it so that you can put a DDR4 in it and a decent CPU and GPU. I just hate apple that way. Please, PLEASE have more supported GPU, CPU, RAM, and software apple. I just can't use windows and I'm sure other mac lovers do too...

Apple is not interested in the computer market as a whole. They are almost entirely backing their macs off of three very distinct markets.

Professionals: people with enough of a budget to purchase high end machines that need to perform specific, usually artistic or media creation applications (Music, art, modeling)

College Hipsters: people with more money than reason to do any research, and purchase an item based off the logo it has, and how much aluminum it's made from. These people have no specific reason to want a mac, or to have bought one, but they did because its a mac. That one reason is enough.

Non-Computer Friendly Persons: Apple is famous for this bullshit. They market their phones and tablets at the same crowd. Because they can offer an identical experience on any apple device, it leads people down a single path, because they don't have to relearn anything when they get a new device. 

Apple doesn't care about adding support for hardware or software that doesn't fit into any of those three fields. Apple doesn't care about gamers, they don't care about powerusers, or hardware enthusiast. They lost that market long ago. If they don't care about gamers, then adding support for a 1080 makes no sense, since its a purely gaming oriented card. The 6700k also doesn't slot into their mindset, since its an overclocking oriented chip. We'll see support for the mobile versions of the 6700k, and probably the 6700 non-k, but not the overclocking skew.

TLDR: Apple doesn't care about the kinds of people who buy those products, they have no reason to add support for it.

If you really love osx, then you'll probably really love linux. I'd suggest you try one of the beginner friendly linux distros.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Apple is not interested in the computer market as a whole. They are almost entirely backing their macs off of three very distinct markets.

Professionals: people with enough of a budget to purchase high end machines that need to perform specific, usually artistic or media creation applications (Music, art, modeling)

College Hipsters: people with more money than reason to do any research, and purchase an item based off the logo it has, and how much aluminum it's made from. These people have no specific reason to want a mac, or to have bought one, but they did because its a mac. That one reason is enough.

Non-Computer Friendly Persons: Apple is famous for this bullshit. They market their phones and tablets at the same crowd. Because they can offer an identical experience on any apple device, it leads people down a single path, because they don't have to relearn anything when they get a new device. 

Apple doesn't care about adding support for hardware or software that doesn't fit into any of those three fields. Apple doesn't care about gamers, they don't care about powerusers, or hardware enthusiast. They lost that market long ago. If they don't care about gamers, then adding support for a 1080 makes no sense, since its a purely gaming oriented card. The 6700k also doesn't slot into their mindset, since its an overclocking oriented chip. We'll see support for the mobile versions of the 6700k, and probably the 6700 non-k, but not the overclocking skew.

TLDR: Apple doesn't care about the kinds of people who buy those products, they have no reason to add support for it.

Well just to correct you on the whole "6700K also doesn't slot into their mindset, since its an overclocking oriented chip"

Apple has put a 4790K on their 5K 27-in iMac....you can't overclock it, it is in that system.

if you try windows for more than 12 minutes and actually learn how to use it, it is far better than OSX

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No. People go to Apple for something that is noob friendly and simply works. They let their wallet get raped in exchange.

Why do they accept such high prices? Beats me. Must be something wrong with those people.

People generally don't game on Macs

The Mac OS is available for free...

If you want custom parts, you can make a hackintosh

Osx isn't technically free. You need a machine running 10.6.8 or newer, but it can upgrade to any other new version of osx available for free.

It is insanely cheap though, you can get usb install drives for osx for like 13$ on amazon.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

Well just to correct you on the whole "6700K also doesn't slot into their mindset, since its an overclocking oriented chip"

Apple has put a 4790K on their 5K 27-in iMac....you can't overclock it, it is in that system.

If you cannot overclock it, then what's the point eh? Its not better than the 4790 then.

13 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Hi guys, I really want things like GTX 1080s and Core i7-6700k in a osx ver. Why hasn't apple done shit in the computer part? Like, if they don't give a shit about computers now. Their mac 'pro' costs 4000$. You can get f*ckin double, or maybe triple the perf for half the price. I really like the apple OS, but I really hate that they don't have much support for anything. Like, no support for DDR4? Really? Can't put the latest, at least somewhat good graphics card? Can't shove a i7-6700k in? You can't download games that are better than mac supported ones?. I know apple's not focusing on gaming, but some people who game just are too fond of their OS. I tried using a windows, but I can't. apple's OS is much better BUT no support. Just shit. If you aren't gonna improve your hardware and performance, why don't you just sell the OS like windows? Or at least make it so that you can put a DDR4 in it and a decent CPU and GPU. I just hate apple that way. Please, PLEASE have more supported GPU, CPU, RAM, and software apple. I just can't use windows and I'm sure other mac lovers do too...

Apple, for the last few years hasn't been using Nvidia GPU and been mostly using AMD GPU so the chances of them adding a 1080 to ANY of there computers is very slim. Not to mention that you would be a laptop version of the 1080 (if such a thing ever comes out) because Apple is probably not going back to the traditional PC form factor based on their latest Mac Pro. 

1 minute ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

Higher Turbo speed.

4790 is stock at 3.6Ghz and turbos to 4.0Ghz while the 4790K is stock at 4.0Ghz and turbos to 4.4Ghz

Its basically then just a custom skew of the 4790 with a higher clock speed.

If you can't overclock it, then there's not point in calling it a k skew other than to distinguish it from slightly slower clocked cpus of the same architecture.

9 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Its basically then just a custom skew of the 4790 with a higher clock speed.

If you can't overclock it, then there's not point in calling it a k skew other than to distinguish it from slightly slower clocked cpus of the same architecture.

The chip itself is overclockable. Its the motherboard the the bios that Apple has created that is preventing it from being overclocked. 

34 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

First would be heat, I guess. A high-end gaming graphics card would produce more heat than can be comfortably dispersed from their all-in-one PC builds. 

Second is that those graphics cards don't meet Apple's target market. They don't target the gaming market, and the people who buy their products aren't in the market for a great gaming build. 

The Mac Pro hasn't been updated since end 2013, but it was a great deal for what you got back then. It was actually cheaper than a PC put together from scratch, and you cannot compare gaming graphics cards with workstation graphics. 

Apple isnt perfect, but many of the statements here just smack of pure ignorance and prejudice. 

3 hours ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

SNIP

Hold on, give them time, they have not addressed new hardware yet

its possible new macbooks, imacs, minis etc will use the new hardware, possibly even an update to the mac pro (although this product is aimed at workstation users)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4 hours ago, Atmos said:

If you really love osx, then you'll probably really love linux. I'd suggest you try one of the beginner friendly linux distros.

I've got a hackintosh (dual booted with win10 using clover) and a macbook air, and i prefer osx to linux because of program compatibility, and i prefer osx to windows because of the terminal and the better support for full screen (loving the full screen split feature on el capitan)

my advice: eiter build a hackintosh or buy the cheapest macbook air and upgrade it :)

but: hackintoshes are against apple's TOS so we can't help you with your hackintosh (discussed this with a mod, falls under piracy they think), but there are other forums just for hackintoshing where you can ask your hackintosh questions :) 

and OP, they will probably renew their mac pros this fall, would be stupid not to, the broadwell-ep chips just came out and apple is launching new products ;)

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

No. People go to Apple for something that is noob friendly and simply works. They let their wallet get raped in exchange.

Why do they accept such high prices? Beats me. Must be something wrong with those people.

People generally don't game on Macs

The Mac OS is available for free...

If you want custom parts, you can make a hackintosh

That what I want to do but there's not much supported hardware that I want to use. 

To ALL = Do I have to learn to use a windows? And how long do you think I would take to get used to it? I know nothing and have been a mac user for 3 years and never experienced a windows. I just know that there's 1 page u can use, I don't know how to delete to increase storage, I don't know basically anything. Where can I learn the basics?

4 hours ago, mikat said:

I've got a hackintosh (dual booted with win10 using clover) and a macbook air, and i prefer osx to linux because of program compatibility, and i prefer osx to windows because of the terminal and the better support for full screen (loving the full screen split feature on el capitan)

my advice: eiter build a hackintosh or buy the cheapest macbook air and upgrade it :)

but: hackintoshes are against apple's TOS so we can't help you with your hackintosh (discussed this with a mod, falls under piracy they think), but there are other forums just for hackintoshing where you can ask your hackintosh questions :) 

and OP, they will probably renew their mac pros this fall, would be stupid not to, the broadwell-ep chips just came out and apple is launching new products ;)

I like the idea but new mac pro will be too expensive. I want to build a hackintosh, but the GPUs and good CPUs they support are all shit. I can't even play a low-end game without it thermal throttling and me getting about 1-5 fraps. Like, when it turbo boosts, it's fine, but as soon as it starts to throttle down, gg. 5 fraps max. total destruction of gaming. I've had this happen several times, and I'm just pissed off at apple for just not letting support for everything.

8 hours ago, abazigal said:

First would be heat, I guess. A high-end gaming graphics card would produce more heat than can be comfortably dispersed from their all-in-one PC builds. 

Second is that those graphics cards don't meet Apple's target market. They don't target the gaming market, and the people who buy their products aren't in the market for a great gaming build. 

The Mac Pro hasn't been updated since end 2013, but it was a great deal for what you got back then. It was actually cheaper than a PC put together from scratch, and you cannot compare gaming graphics cards with workstation graphics. 

Apple isnt perfect, but many of the statements here just smack of pure ignorance and prejudice. 

I know, but I saw a video that this guy managed to get 2X perf on a custom pc with half the price than mac pro. I was just REALLY annoyed. I know apple don't target gamers, but for gamers who are just too used to osx, and who can't learn how to windows, it's annoying and hard.

9 hours ago, Atmos said:

but wouldn't the real professionals buy something with a xeon or a titan gpu? because Apple's macs don't usually come with that type of hardware afaik

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

2 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

but wouldn't the real professionals buy something with a xeon or a titan gpu? because Apple's macs don't usually come with that type of hardware afaik

True, the guy in the video explained that it took twice the time to export the same movie on mac than his custom pc

31 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

I like the idea but new mac pro will be too expensive. I want to build a hackintosh, but the GPUs and good CPUs they support are all shit. I can't even play a low-end game without it thermal throttling and me getting about 1-5 fraps. Like, when it turbo boosts, it's fine, but as soon as it starts to throttle down, gg. 5 fraps max. total destruction of gaming. I've had this happen several times, and I'm just pissed off at apple for just not letting support for everything.

my i7-4790k and gtx 960 work flawlessly?

apple focusses on people who give no two shits about what goes on under the hood and need it to "just work"

examples:

- macbooks with zero upgradability, but they also dont *need* upgrades to work properly. (with the intent you buy a new one every time it's outdated, its "easier")

- iphones/pads that go as far as to block the user from accessing the filesystem

- ipods that unlike a normal MP3 player require software to "drag and drop" music onto them instead of just a folder to drag into like the rest of the world does.

- sure they offer you specs for the latest mac pro trash can, but all that matters is that you need it in order to run their newest video editing software smoothly. 

- dont ask questions about gaming, install the mac version of steam, and any mac game will run, some even surprisingly good, just dont try to make it work better.

- they invented (yes, to me they invented this horrible idea) being unable to replace the battery on a high end notebook without disassembly, because people dont want to worry about a big clunky battery being there, and the possibility of that battery breaking. if it breaks "the laptop stops charging" its not "it may be the battery, but i dont wanna care about the guts of this thing"

wether you or i like it or not, apple has figured out the "closed ecosystem" and there's a large amount of people (intentionally or unintentionally) going for it because its easy, and when it goes wrong you just toss dollar bills at apple to have them solve it. however much people on this forum love to ignore that category of people, there's a large group that needs a computer for "something" (school, facebook with the grandkids, work, w/e) but either dont care or get confused by the hardware inside, with apple offering them this "magical box" that may be expensive, but it makes their lives easy, and thats all they care about.

signed, someone who will never buy an apple product, but is not blind as a bat and realises they have a valid place in the market.

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

if you try windows for more than 12 minutes and actually learn how to use it, it is far better than OSX

Not necessarily true, there are things OSX does better,  its based on UNIX and terminal basically lets you really mess around with the OS, possibly even more than windows etc

MacOS as an OS is actually really really really good - only downsides to Apple are the lack of enthusiast hardware and high price of entry - in terms of what you can do with software its equal (and down to preferences) 

To the OP - windows is easy to learn

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

35 minutes ago, manikyath said:

apple focusses on people who give no two shits about what goes on under the hood and need it to "just work"

examples:

- macbooks with zero upgradability, but they also dont *need* upgrades to work properly. (with the intent you buy a new one every time it's outdated, its "easier")

- iphones/pads that go as far as to block the user from accessing the filesystem

- ipods that unlike a normal MP3 player require software to "drag and drop" music onto them instead of just a folder to drag into like the rest of the world does.

- sure they offer you specs for the latest mac pro trash can, but all that matters is that you need it in order to run their newest video editing software smoothly. 

- dont ask questions about gaming, install the mac version of steam, and any mac game will run, some even surprisingly good, just dont try to make it work better.

- they invented (yes, to me they invented this horrible idea) being unable to replace the battery on a high end notebook without disassembly, because people dont want to worry about a big clunky battery being there, and the possibility of that battery breaking. if it breaks "the laptop stops charging" its not "it may be the battery, but i dont wanna care about the guts of this thing"

wether you or i like it or not, apple has figured out the "closed ecosystem" and there's a large amount of people (intentionally or unintentionally) going for it because its easy, and when it goes wrong you just toss dollar bills at apple to have them solve it. however much people on this forum love to ignore that category of people, there's a large group that needs a computer for "something" (school, facebook with the grandkids, work, w/e) but either dont care or get confused by the hardware inside, with apple offering them this "magical box" that may be expensive, but it makes their lives easy, and thats all they care about.

signed, someone who will never buy an apple product, but is not blind as a bat and realises they have a valid place in the market.

those are all arguments against apple hardware & iOS, not against OSX :)

and the older macbook pros/macbook airs are upgradeable (SSD) :D

44 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

Real professionals buy Eizo monitors, Quadro/Firepro (workstation end) GPUs...

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, mikat said:

those are all arguments against apple hardware, not the software :)

and the older macbook pros/macbook airs are upgradeable (SSD) :D

well, they kinda go hand in hand dont they, since hackintoshing is not supported :P

and i bet you the only reason the old ones are upgradable because it was cheaper back then :D