polaris 10/rx 480 can hit 1.5ghz++++

balmung11

ok.

1.5 ghz means absolutely nothing until we actually see performance numbers, and scaling of performance when overclocked.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

ok.

1.5 ghz means absolutely nothing until we actually see performance numbers, and scaling of performance when overclocked.

no ur noob

but layz is correct, mhz dont mean shit.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

ok.

true but in general because amd has mostly had lower clocks with better ipc(is it ipc for gpus?) even 50-100 MHz made a bigger diff than 50-100 MHz on nvidia.

ofcourse remeber to wait for benchmarks.

1 minute ago, balmung11 said:

what is the base clock of 1070 again ? :D

What difference does base clock mean when GPU boost is a thing? Lol.

Mhz literally means nothing in this day and age, the only thing anyone should care about is the performance and price.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So a "beast mode" 1.5Ghz Rx 480 will perform similarly to the Fury X? 

Not bad. So this is what AMD meant by letting AIBs do their thing. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yea when I overclocked my 7850 it's small overclocks made large differences. I think I got mine to go as high as 1150 core, forget the mem specs now but it came stock at like 860.

So I got quite a jump in performance out of that card until games like The Witcher 3 finally came out. That card simply could not run the game maxed out with decent frame rates.

The GTX 970 was just so far beyond the 7850 but it was 2x the price but I only paid $100 more for the 770, then got 970 from the 770 RMA so it worked out.

Clock for Clock it has been better than Nvidia many times... but the GPU itself just wasn't better.

Nvidia usually overclocks easily to 200+ on the cores and people get salty if it "doesn't" overclock well.

1 minute ago, balmung11 said:

im just asking dude chill but for more mhz = more performance right ?

Not every time. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'm getting more and more excited about getting one of these cards. It's going to be such a huge jump from my HD 7870. This kind of performance at these prices is just insane, even if they don't quite reach marketed expectations.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Not every time. 

good to know ^_^

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Not every time. 

actually every time. more mhz is always more performance. how much though remains to be seen.

I remember seeing similar claims about amazing performance when the 9590 was announced because of the clockspeed.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

i hope sapphire is the one creating this "BEAST MODE OC at 299$ price tag" rx 480 toxic name scheme or something since it says air cooled

2 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

I remember seeing similar claims about amazing performance when the 9590 was announced because of the clockspeed.

well yeah but those were hype pieces based only on the clock speeds. this we have seen 2 benchmarks for what it can do at stock so we can make some guesses as to what it can do OC.

7 hours ago, Pohernori said:

So a "beast mode" 1.5Ghz Rx 480 will perform similarly to the Fury X? 

Not bad. So this is what AMD meant by letting AIBs do their thing. 

7 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

IAs for the thing hitting 1.5GHz: we already know the base clock of around 1250 MHz and we know that it's at about 90% of a 1070 at those clocks, so I expect an RX480 to be slightly if not considerably faster than a stock 1070 when the 480 is at 1.5GHz. For the price that you're paying for an RX480, I'd say that's pretty amazing.

Oh gee, you guys are going to be so disappointed... ahah 

AMD RX480 won't be faster than 390X on all average.  
They will have additional ~10% increase performance with overclock.  which would be able to come on top of 390X in the end, but not close to 1070 at all. not to mention if you overclock the 1070, you wont even see the RX480's in the mirror. 

1 minute ago, lukart said:

They will have additional ~10% increase performance with overclock.  which would be able to come on top of 390X in the end, but not close to 1070 at all. not to mention if you overclock the 1070, you wont even see the RX480's in the mirror. 

sure but a 1070 is twice the price.

Meanwhile people are hitting 1500Mhz on gtc 670 windforce ahahahah

8 minutes ago, lukart said:

Pretty big talk for a card that hasn't even been released. 

From the article: 

Now, all of these are just meaningless numbers without a performance comparison. So to put it all into perspective, an overclocked RX 480 will actually perform within striking distance of AMD’s current R9 Fury X flagship. 

Rx 480 wasn't even meant to be a 1070 competitor anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

sure but a 1070 is twice the price.

Im not saying its not. Im just saying people are hyping about this card being almost as fast as 1070, and stock being faster than nano or GTX 980 OC, when in reality it doesnt even beat 390X.  

It will be indeed a great card, but not as great as many websites are saying. They just need good headlines for traffic.. and looks like its working.

6 hours ago, lukart said:

7 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

As for the thing hitting 1.5GHz: we already know the base clock of around 1250 MHz and we know that it's at about 90% of a 1070 at those clocks, so I expect an RX480 to be slightly if not considerably faster than a stock 1070 when the 480 is at 1.5GHz. For the price that you're paying for an RX480, I'd say that's pretty amazing.

You guys do realise the rx480 is competing with the gtx 1050/1060, and wont be anywhere close to 1070 performance as the 1070 with CPU boost 3.0 wipes the floor with the Fury and the Titan . so top cards right now are the 1080 and 1070 by quite a margin

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Pretty big talk for a card that hasn't even been released. 

From the article: 

Rx 480 wan't even meant to be a 1070 competitor anyway. 

Some people actually know what they are talking about ;)

1 minute ago, lukart said:

Some people actually know what they are talking about ;)

Yes yes and pigs will fly tmr. 

In all honesty just looking at leaked benchmarks Im kind of disappointed in the rx480 performance.  Performance/dollar doesn't seem that good. If we scale back the 1070 and 1080 the 1060 looks like it will outperform teh rx480 and will be similiar price.. maybe 30 to 50$ more

6 minutes ago, Flavlus said:

In all honesty just looking at leaked benchmarks Im kind of disappointed in the rx480 performance.  Performance/dollar doesn't seem that good. If we scale back the 1070 and 1080 the 1060 looks like it will outperform teh rx480 and will be similiar price.. maybe 30 to 50$ more

since the 700 series the x60 cards have been a serious cut down compared x70 cards