Did you guys find the 480 benchmarks depressing

21rkosta

Did you guys find the 480 benchmarks depressing  

50 members have voted

1. 1. were the rx 480 benchmarks depressing

• yes
    • no

@stconquest You cannot take a joke now can you

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

3 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

@stconquest You cannot take a joke now can you

You came here to phish for information that promotes the RX 480 as a failure.  So much so, that you cannot see it's potential success. 

No, it's performing how I would expect a 480 to. The disappointment is just that there is no 490.

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

G A M E   O V E R ! ! !

You feel butthurt, admit it.  If the 1060 mimics the RX480 in performance, why are you not worried for Nvidias 1060?  Don't give me that VR nonsense.  The RX 480 will probably run every current VR game @90FPs and continue the trend for quite a while.

99.7% of PC users will not buy any VR gear for a long time.  That market is so tiny it is not even funny.  Devs will come out with a few titles, but VR to the masses is not a thing yet.  How many units have sold?  10K, 20K?  How much does it cost to develop a game?  Where is the profit margin? 

AMD's marketing it to wow people:  Premium VR.

I will be impressed if VR takes off this time round.  VR has been showcased since the 80s man.  Too much money, not much reward.

This card will most likely meet any expectations I (and many others) have, and might even impress us.

AMD is harping about VR!!!  Like it's the second coming.

Most gamers don't have the cash to buy a $800 vr set.  If one can afford $800 for goggles, I think they can afford a gpu more expensive than $200.

Then there's the hype about the 480 in crossfire beating a 1080 for less money.  AMD overlooked a few things:

* To do SLI/CF, one would need an enthusiast board, which costs around $100-$200.  2 480 + CF board = $500 - $600.  One can buy a 1080 and keep their current board.

* CF/SLI is seldom supported on games.  They either run very well, or the game winds up terrible.

* Majority of games are still single gpu optimized.  Meaning if you have 2 weak gpus and the game only runs on a single gpu, your performance will tank.

* DX12 support.  While it is the future, it will take about 3 years for it to be refine.  In 3 years, your $200 gpu will be a potato.  Then it's time to buy a new one. 

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You came here to phish for information that promotes the RX 480 as a failure.  So much so, that you cannot see it's potential success. 

no i came here because i wanted to know peoples opinion on the 480 dude, thats what the whole post is about, i think the 480 may be a good card, may not be, im just not sure if it will live up to the hype

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

The new wave of cards has changed my opinion of the users on this site. Seems all the kids are coming out of the wood work. 

What happened to coherent and reasonable responses? 

2 minutes ago, Brad Rifkin said:

AMD is harping about VR!!!  Like it's the second coming.

Most gamers don't have the cash to buy a $800 vr set.  If one can afford $800 for goggles, I think they can afford a gpu more expensive than $200.

Then there's the hype about the 480 in crossfire beating a 1080 for less money.  AMD overlooked a few things:

* To do SLI/CF, one would need an enthusiast board, which costs around $100-$200.  2 480 + CF board = $500 - $600.  One can buy a 1080 and keep their current board.

* CF/SLI is seldom supported on games.  They either run very well, or the game winds up terrible.

* Majority of games are still single gpu optimized.  Meaning if you have 2 weak gpus and the game only runs on a single gpu, your performance will tank.

* DX12 support.  While it is the future, it will take about 3 years for it to be refine.  In 3 years, your $200 gpu will be a potato.  Then it's time to buy a new one. 

That's marketing for you.

I agree with everything you said, mostly... yup all sounds okay.

The only reason they showcased it against the GTX 1080 is because the 1080 is the new top dog.  To get anywhere near that at 1/3 less cost is a positive thing to try and show off.

Ain't no one buying an RX 480 instead of a GTX 1080.  They are not in direct competition.

@alexokan thats what im saying, honestly if you have an opinion thats fine, and its also fine to comment on other peoples opinion, but you should be respectfull while doing so

11 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

The new wave of cards has changed my opinion of the users on this site. Seems all the kids are coming out of the wood work. 

What happened to coherent and reasonable responses? 

I already feel a little bad for laying in on him/her.  Thanks for rubbing it in.

I kid, I kid.  I don't know who you were directing at.  I do feel a little bad though.

@21rkosta  I apologize.  I just want you to understand why you "feel" this thing.  A GPU launch should not "depress" you in any way.  The GPU industry is moving forward, better and cheaper cards.  Screw Nvidia's bullshit markup.  They have millions of kids wrapped around their finger.

AMD would probably do the same in Nvidia's position, I don't give them any undue praise.  Focus on the tech, don't get too emotional.

What would be really disruptive is if Nvidia releases the final GP104 card (rumored to be the 1060ti), with 4 and 8GB of memory for RX 480 prices. They won't do it because Nvidia only competes with themselves, but it would be a fanboy roller coaster across the internet if they did.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

@stconquest dude i meant depressed as in like, man i thaught this card would be better

1 minute ago, 21rkosta said:

@stconquest dude i meant depressed as in like, man i thaught this card would be better

Why would you think that?  Maybe because Nvidia launched their enthusiast line so you figured AMD should do the same? 

@stconquest its been overhyped i guess, idk, just kinda thaught it would be better

2 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

@stconquest its been overhyped i guess, idk, just kinda thaught it would be better

In what way was it over-hyped? 

Anything like:  GTX 1080!  Twice the performance of a Titan X..................................................

................................in VR.

9_9

@stconquest LOL nvidia was also so overhyped, and btw i voted no if thats what your wondering

1 minute ago, 21rkosta said:

@stconquest LOL nvidia was also so overhyped, and btw i voted no if thats what your wondering

I wasn't.  :P

So we learned that companies "over market" their product.  Now it will never surprise (depress) you again.;)

@stconquest didnt depress me bro LOL, but i wondered if it depressed anyone else, i could imagine someone going to the therapist and saying "aww man i feel so depressed, the 480 benchmarks came out today and they make me feel sad"

NVIDIA find themselves in a similar position to last gen. If they don't gimp the 1060, 1070 sales will drop drastically. However, if they do gimp it, it wont be able to compete with the RX-480. I for one, am simply glad that NVIDIA will have some competition to end their price gouging. I also hope the same happens with the CPU market once Zen releases. Even if your a NVIDIA fanboy, more competition can only be a good thing. It ought to force NVIDIA to drop the prices of their products making them more accessible to more people. It is a Win-Win situation. I think most of us can agree that the initial numbers for the RX-480 look promising. However, to reiterate what others have already said, I think it wise for us all to withhold judgement (good or bad) until the third party reviewers get their hands on the card and we get some solid data 

@Verseus i agree with you, i voted no

not buying anything less then a rx 490. If amd doesnt release it then ok, no money from me

I get this card appeals to those on a restricted budget, taking last generations performance and making it half the price has been AMDs strategy for a while with die shrinks, it actually got broken with the 7970 release where they marketed high end to begin with. Its kind of nice to see them return to the same strategy they had with the 4870/5870 etc as those were really popular cards. Back then their plan was to address the high end of performance with crossfire and it looks like the same is true with the RX480 at least until Vega next year.

Its not depressing its just not compelling for a chunk of the market that already have performance meeting or exceeding that or who want more performance than it can offer. Nvidia is going straight to the higher end as per usual and its comparatively a lot more expensive, but the 1070/1080 is no 580 so its going to be compellingly faster for its price. But they really aren't playing in the same market at all right now.

I have used VR on 2x970's and the issue is that no games support dual cards currently. They might in the future but the idea that this is going to take off and everything supports it is wrong, I have been a dual card user for 8 years and I can tell you that is not going to happen and I am more pessimistic about SLI/Crossfire now than ever before. For VR you really do want more than the minimum and two cards isn't going to help you. With VR its not just a question of low graphics, any drop below 90 fps is a disaster, sickness inducing. Besides a $800 headset and you buy a $200 RX 480 that barely meets minimum spec just makes no sense, heck even the Razor VR headset is going to be $400. You aren't going to see the super cheap headset appear anytime soon.

More than that the minimum spec for VR is going to move in time. As new hardware comes out we will see that minimum requirement increase as games get more complex. Its not like any card is going to be good for 1080/1440/4k for all its life because the games are going to soak up that power. So I would expect in the next year to see more games requiring more than the 970 minimum spec now that faster cards are available.

3 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

SNIP

The 480 is over minimum specs just so you know.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.