NVIDIA will bleed us

BunnyLab

Video cards are just getting too expensive.  Nvidia will drain us with the new 1080 series.  They need to make up for all their R&D for GDDR5X and have a healthy profit.  I'm sick of it.  I'm staying with my 970 for a long time.

2 minutes ago, BunnyLab said:

Video cards are just getting too expensive.  Nvidia will drain us with the new 1080 series.  They need to make up for all their R&D for GDDR5X and have a healthy profit.  I'm sick of it.  I'm staying with my 970 for a long time.

I agree. AMD, don't fail me now!

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

I've been using nvidia cards now for 14 years (admittedly few distinct cards during that time and not all personally owned, but still) but that new 480 is really starting to look good :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

go buy a 480 and quit complaining

you dont need a 1080

you just want one, like everyone else

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, BunnyLab said:

The 1080 is overpriced. Just like the TitanX was. Just like the 980. And just like the Fury X was, so it's not as if AMD wasn't doing the same.

Please understand, the top end card is always too expensive. It's the other offers that are worth it. And let me tell you: the 1070 has amazing performance for the price.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Guess youll have to prioritize what you spend your money on and which hobbies are more important to you then

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

go buy a 480 and quit complaining

you dont need a 1080

you just want one, like everyone else

I don't want a 1080; but I think you do want one.

3 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Guess youll have to prioritize what you spend your money on and which hobbies are more important to you then

Nooo, that's sensible and being an adult, we can't have that.

Also, video cards have been getting cheaper over time, or at least you're getting much more for your money. Ten years ago high end cards cost the same, so they were muuuch more expensive than cards now.

While it's not cheap but IIRC every top of the line, first batch of new gen video cards by nvidia have always been 600 to 700 dollars (inflation adjusted) since the RIVA TNT 2 probably.

14 minutes ago, BunnyLab said:

I just realized the way this is worded is kind of funny:

"They need to make up for all the R&D.  I'm sick of it"

what? xD  So you'd rather they just sell it at cost and go bankrupt 1 or 2 gens from now?  Sure you'll get cheap cards now, but then never any more new ones.  IS that really what you want? :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm still considering between a secondhand 980Ti for ~ 100$ cheaper than the 1070, the 1070 itself and the 480. Since all we have so far is Firestrike and AOS, which I both dont trust too much, 480 is at the bottom of that list right now. But if it turn out to be true, the 480 could very well be the first AMD card to make it into my computer

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just realized the way this is worded is kind of funny:

"They need to make up for all the R&D.  I'm sick of it"

what? xD  So you'd rather they just sell it at cost and go bankrupt 1 or 2 gens from now?  Sure you'll get cheap cards now, but then never any more new ones.  IS that really what you want? :P 

Do you really think a 1080 is worth $900 Canadian?

1 minute ago, BunnyLab said:

No certainly not.  Nor the 1070 worth the ~$600 they are charging.  But remember that those prices are a combination of nvidia gouging AND our terrible dollar :P

Well, I would LOVE to have the 1080, but really, I'm not going to get it. I simply cannot justify throwing money at what is basically a toy for me.

I'm already set on the 480. I've been using AMD for nearly 10 years now and so far they have not let me down. Damn good value and it appears the 480 will keep their end of the bargain again.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

20 minutes ago, BunnyLab said:

GDDR5X didn't require that much R&D and actually isn't all that different from GDDR5, physically. 

It's just the current fastest card on the market and priced accordingly. Happens with each new generation. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, BunnyLab said:

900 cad is 700 usd. thats msrp. though I think people forget that the 700 was 400 at luanch and the 780ti was 700 at launch. Either wait for used cards or just save your money for what you really want. Key word here is WANT not NEED

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No certainly not.  Nor the 1070 worth the ~$600 they are charging.  But remember that those prices are a combination of nvidia gouging AND our terrible dollar :P

Now you are contradicting yourself.  Which is it; gouging or avoiding backruptcy? 

1 minute ago, BunnyLab said:

Now you are contradicting yourself.  Which is it; gouging or avoiding backruptcy? 

There's a happy medium they've gone a little beyond in my opinion, but I was just pointing out what I thought was odd wording in your OP.  To me, it sounded like you were saying "I'm sick of them making a profit" :P

15 minutes ago, BunnyLab said:

I don't want a 1080

ok great, then stop making posts complaining about prices you cant afford :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There's a happy medium they've gone a little beyond in my opinion, but I was just pointing out what I thought was odd wording in your OP.  To me, it sounded like you were saying "I'm sick of them making a profit" :P

You are correct to say there is no point in selling and going bankrupt.  I'm sick of gouging.

I think nvidia are bigger gougers than Intel.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

900 cad is 700 usd thats not guaged thats exactly in like with the us price. These prices are a direct result of your dollar being worth only one cent in usd.

3 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

900 cad is 700 usd thats not guaged thats exactly in like with the us price. These prices are a direct result of your dollar being worth only one cent in usd.

I know it's at least a direct currency conversion, which I'm very thankful for, since many products don't even have the decency to do that, but $700 US is too much in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Like I said, nVidia is milking us.  They would bleed us dry if they could.