Optimal air cooling for a new build -best way possible

BigFix

Hello everyone!

I just recently ordered the parts for my upcoming build (after 7 years with a shitty pc..) and unfortunately i'm not a tech savy..especially when it comes

to cooling..

I mainly want the pc to be as quiet as possible and I think my choice of componnents reflects that,but still to maintain decent cooling (not planning any oc as of right now)

So here is what I have:

6700k with coolermaster hyper 212x

asus rog hero

g.skill trident z 32gb 3200mhz

asus gtx 1080 strix

wd cavial black 2 tb

samsung 850 evo 500gb

fractal design define r5 blackout edition

evga 650w  p2

In general,should I expect relatively quiet and cool operation with these componnents? or should I change something?

*I might replace the fans of the case with the new silent wings 3 when those will come out

Now,regarding cooling, what is the best possible way to keep this rig as quiet and cool as possible? should I place the PSU with the fan turning  upside down or up?

The best I can do with two case fans is one at the front for pull and the other for push correct?

Regarding the cpu cooler,how should I place the fan? turning towards the ram sticks or the other way towards the back case fan?

can I remove the upper HDD cage and place the hdd on the lower one,so I can have more air going through the front with the front fan? or should I keep the upper HDD cage

and remove the lower one,so the fan can cool the hdd?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me!

Intel Core i7 6700K || Coolermaster Hyper 212X || Asus Z170 ROG Maximus Hero Alpha ||  32GB (16x2) RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz CL14

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X || Samsung 950 Pro 512GB || Western Digital Black 2TB || Evga Supernova 650w P2

Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout || Dell U2715H || Logitech G502 Proteus Core Spectrum || Steelseries qck mass || Corsair K70 RGB Brown

Sennheiser HD598 SE || Windows 10 Home 64-bit

i would consider u the fractal design define s so u move all the hdds in the back and u get not obstacolated airflow

10 minutes ago, Atlant said:

i would consider u the fractal design define s so u move all the hdds in the back and u get not obstacolated airflow

It's fine as it is

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

20 minutes ago, BigFix said:

Hello everyone!

I just recently ordered the parts for my upcoming build (after 7 years with a shitty pc..) and unfortunately i'm not a tech savy..especially when it comes

to cooling..

I mainly want the pc to be as quiet as possible and I think my choice of componnents reflects that,but still to maintain decent cooling (not planning any oc as of right now)

So here is what I have:

asus rog hero

asus gtx 1080 strix

wd cavial black 2 tb

samsung 850 evo 500gb

evga 650w  p2

In general,should I expect relatively quiet and cool operation with these componnents? or should I change something?

*I might replace the fans of the case with the new silent wings 3 when those will come out

Now,regarding cooling, what is the best possible way to keep this rig as quiet and cool as possible? should I place the PSU with the fan turning  upside down or up?

The best I can do with two case fans is one at the front for pull and the other for push correct?

Regarding the cpu cooler,how should I place the fan? turning towards the ram sticks or the other way towards the back case fan?

can I remove the upper HDD cage and place the hdd on the lower one,so I can have more air going through the front with the front fan? or should I keep the upper HDD cage

I dont think the PSU orientation matters. put one fan in front as intake and one in back as exhaust and put the cpu fan as pull (pulls air through the cooler), it is easier to clean

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

23 minutes ago, BigFix said:

Hello everyone!

to cooling..

So here is what I have:

asus rog hero

asus gtx 1080 strix

wd cavial black 2 tb

samsung 850 evo 500gb

evga 650w  p2

-psu fan down.

-2 fans intake, 1 exhaust so you get positive pressure.

-place the cpu cooler fan facing the rear (so its blowing into the heatsink)

-yeah you can place the hdd cage like that

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I definitely advise turning or removing one of the hard drive cages if possible at all. You'll lose a few degrees with the obstruction otherwise.

Should have asked before ordering your parts. Most of you picks is only so-so when it comes to keeping the noise down.

could have picked a psu with a fan off option under light load

then there is the geaphic card. Should have went msi because asus runs extremely loud under load.

9 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Should have asked before ordering your parts. Most of you picks is only so-so when it comes to keeping the noise down.

could have picked a psu with a fan off option under light load

then there is the geaphic card. Should have went msi because asus runs extremely loud under load.

I'm actually really surprised about what you said..I did quite an extensive research before..

I don't know about the MSI card but about every review I read about the Strix mentioned that it is quiet enough to not annoy anyone.

Regarding the PSU,every review I read and also people onthis forum said it is one of the quietest and quality PSU available today..and it does have an ECO mode.

Any recommendation for different components though?

Intel Core i7 6700K || Coolermaster Hyper 212X || Asus Z170 ROG Maximus Hero Alpha ||  32GB (16x2) RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz CL14

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X || Samsung 950 Pro 512GB || Western Digital Black 2TB || Evga Supernova 650w P2

Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout || Dell U2715H || Logitech G502 Proteus Core Spectrum || Steelseries qck mass || Corsair K70 RGB Brown

20 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Ditto.

The 212x isn't exactly a quiet-tier cooler and the WD Black isn't a quiet drive.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 hours ago, BigFix said:

I'm actually really surprised about what you said..I did quite an extensive research before..

I don't know about the MSI card but about every review I read about the Strix mentioned that it is quiet enough to not annoy anyone.

Regarding the PSU,every review I read and also people onthis forum said it is one of the quietest and quality PSU available today..and it does have an ECO mode.

Any recommendation for different components though?

If you are ok with the stuff you picked then its good then. Do remember though, you could have chosen other quieter options by spending the same budget.

Then can you please recommend me an air cooler model that is considered a quite one? Overclocking is not a priority.

And I took the WD black mainly because I heard it is more

reliable drive..should I switch to something else like the green or blue? 

Thanks!

Have you identified which components are too loud since you've already ordered them?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On June 17, 2016 at 2:37 AM, BigFix said:

Then can you please recommend me an air cooler model that is considered a quite one? Overclocking is not a priority.

And I took the WD black mainly because I heard it is more

reliable drive..should I switch to something else like the green or blue? 

Thanks!

Ditch the hd drive because you already got a ssd.

change the card to msi twin frozer.

get a nd-d15 because size does matter if you want to keep it quiet.

Since the power supply has a fan off option, you can keep it but make sure you dont add unnessasary things that could make the fan turn on.

Ever since i got my power supply, my psu have never turned on because i kept my power draw very low.

On 20.6.2016 at 8:40 AM, Bcat00 said:

Ditch the hd drive because you already got a ssd.

change the card to msi twin frozer.

get a nd-d15 because size does matter if you want to keep it quiet.

Since the power supply has a fan off option, you can keep it but make sure you dont add unnessasary things that could make the fan turn on.

Ever since i got my power supply, my psu have never turned on because i kept my power draw very low.

I listened to some of your advice and changed the card from Strix to the MSI - thanks!

I forgot to mention I had a chance to get the samsung 512gb 950 pro at really low price so I changed the ssd to this model - will this affect any of the noise output?

One more thing regarding the fans - does the fractal ones are quiet enough? replacing to be quiet silent wings 2 or 3 with 2 as intakes and one exhaust fan will improve my airflow and noise levels?

Sadly I can't replace the HDD as I already got it,hoping the case will block some of the noise at least..

Thank you!

Ssd dont make noises.

fractal fans are ok but nothing amazing.

i never used the silent wing fans so i cant say.

5 hours ago, BigFix said:

does the fractal ones are quiet enough?

It depends on how quiet of a system you're shooting for. 

Whether something is quiet enough is up to you.