Powerline disconnecting

Venn

So I've had this powerline adapter for around 2 years, its a lincsys PLE400. A few weeks ago it randomly started disconnecting at random points throughout the day. The disconnects last around 30 seconds and then i get my internet back. If i let it this way it will disconnect every 5-30 minutes. If I unplug them both and plug them back in, i can get around 1-8 hours of no disconnection. I've tried replacing cables, moving the adapters to different sockets, nothing. 

I'm considering calling my isp (Bell) and get a ethernet connection (my pc is far away from the router). But the internet connection with it is good, just the disconnects annoy the crap outta me.

7 minutes ago, Venn said:

So I've had this powerline adapter for around 2 years, its a lincsys PLE400. A few weeks ago it randomly started disconnecting at random points throughout the day. The disconnects last around 30 seconds and then i get my internet back. If i let it this way it will disconnect every 5-30 minutes. If I unplug them both and plug them back in, i can get around 1-8 hours of no disconnection. I've tried replacing cables, moving the adapters to different sockets, nothing. 

I'm considering calling my isp (Bell) and get a ethernet connection (my pc is far away from the router). But the internet connection with it is good, just the disconnects annoy the crap outta me.

Distance from the computer can effect powerline adapter reliablility, as well as if you use it on an extension cable rather than plugged straight into the wall.

If it only started happening recently it could mean something else, like electrical wiring problems or some other new device interfering with the adapters.

Almost as cool as my temps  

If you've had them for around 2 years they could be going bad perhaps? Are they still under warranty by chance?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I doubt they are, and they are both plugged straight into the wall.

From various reviews, these devices seem to run 24/7 very hot.

These devices use electrolytic capacitors in the circuit that converts 110-220v to the low voltages (5v, 3.3v , 1.8v, whatever) required to run the chips inside and electrolytic capacitors can go bad if they dry up (due to constant heat for long periods of time).

The capacitors may be just bad enough to cause instability in the power supply, making the chips inside reset or turn off for a short period of time allowing the insides to cool down slightly and then restarting the process.

So the point is if that's the issue, just replacing electrolytic capacitors with new ones may solve everything.  Can't just use any capacitor though, they have to be quality low esr high lifetime ones.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

From various reviews, these devices seem to run 24/7 very hot.

These devices use electrolytic capacitors in the circuit that converts 110-220v to the low voltages (5v, 3.3v , 1.8v, whatever) required to run the chips inside and electrolytic capacitors can go bad if they dry up (due to constant heat for long periods of time)

So the point is if that's the issue, just replacing electrolytic capacitors with new ones may solve everything.  Can't just use any capacitor though, they have to be quality low esr high lifetime ones.

Do you suggest for me to unplug them when im not using my PC?

If this is the problem (bad capacitors), unplugging them now won't make much of a difference, the capacitors are still bad and they should be replaced. Of course, if you start unplugging them after use (or use an extension cord with on/off button), when you turn them on they'll be cold so naturally it will take a much longer time for the insides to reach that temperature where everything may go wonky, so you may not experience interrupts. It's important to understand you don't solve the issue this way, you just found a workaround, the devices are still problematic.

My suggestion would to be to find a company that repairs computers or laptops or  tvs around your area and ask them if they have the equipment and willingness to open up one of your adapters to check if this is the issue and if so, to replace the capacitors for you. Shouldn't be more than 5$ in parts and maybe $10-20 for his wasted time.

Here's a picture of the insides of Linksys PLE400

linksys_ple400_inside.jpg

The capacitors are the round tall things. The brown one at the top on the left is a quality United ChemiCon capacitor, which charges with energy from mains to feed it through that yellow transformer below to get lower voltages. That one is good quality and not "stressed", it's unlikely to go bad.

The two capacitors under the transformer seem to be high quality Sanyo/Suncon ones (based on the K groove on the top and green color on cover) but i can't be 100% sure, because a few other brands use the same grooves on top. They should last a long time but they are in a location that doesn't have much ventilation, so they may in time dry up due to inside temperature.

The one with the highest potential to go bad is the black one right by the transformer (yellow thing) and optocoupler (on the right), it's the one storing the low voltage energy before going to chips, as far as I can tell. It would warm up from the transformer and the diode that's located right near it to the left side.

The imprint on top is the pattern used by Teapo, which is a decent capacitor manufacturer, but not quite to the level of UnitedChemiCon or Nichicon or Rubycon.

If you open up your adapter and that capacitor looks swollen or in any way weird, that's probably the issue.