Server OS help

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a tower server on a really good deal. 

The specs are:

Intel Xeon E3-1226v3 3.30 GHz

16GB (2 x 8GB ECC)

2 X Enterprise HDD's

I'm looking to use this as NAS, for Plex and for VM's. Which OS is best for this? Also are there any other uses? I want to try and make the most of the hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Well if you want to run vms, Imwould say go with Proxmox. its easy to use and is super feature rich. Not to mention its also free. You can spin up a linux or windows vm to run the plex server. Thats the way I have my stuff setup and it has been working fine for over a year.

My native language is C++

5 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Well if you want to run vms, Imwould say go with Proxmox. its easy to use and is super feature rich. Not to mention its also free. You can spin up a linux or windows vm to run the plex server. Thats the way I have my stuff setup and it has been working fine for over a year.

Thanks I'll look in to it. 

On 6/11/2016 at 3:52 AM, InfiniteM said:

Thanks I'll look in to it. 

And if you want more options there is ovirt, exsi, hyper-v and xen. All freeand does the same thing

Windows, unless you're already very familiar with NIX based systems, NIX based security and backup solutions, etc.

If you don't know these and don't have the time to properly research it, your server will eventually fail, resulting in loss of data or downtime.

Basically, whatever OS you know best. Windows, OSX, Ubuntu etc. They're all fine.