What is the best antivirus right now?

In your opinion, what is the best antivirus/internet security suite currently available on the market? Please back up your answers with reasoning and evidence.

ZERO internet 

thats the only way. 

but if you must internet then theyre all pretty much the same

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Either Kaspersky or Bitdefender if you're looking for all in one programs. They aren't resource intensive and get the job done. Or you could just avoid shady sites, but it's nice to have piece of mind.

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Honestly there isn't a best due to each having their own 'list' of what they look for and or catch. One might catch this big one but slip right past the other great AV. This is why it's a good idea to update your AV often because they are always adding new suspects to the list.

Right now the list is pretty even when it comes to which is best (tested thoroughly)

- Avast

- Comodo

- Microsoft Security Essentials

- Avira

- Comodo

- UnThreat

- Lavasoft

- Panda Cloud

- AVG

It really is a personal preference on which you want to use. The most common used I find are AVG, Avast and MSE.

On a customers computer who doesn't purchase my AV Suite (eSet Nod32 + Malwarebytes) I often install MSE on their systems.

I don't run any AV on my personal computers. Never have and never had a virus. Just don't click on stupid stuff :)

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

This site makes unbiased tests on all antivirus, and publish the results each month:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

This are the real world usage reports for the month of august:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/avc_factsheet2013_08.pdf

If you look at the chart, only 3 antivirus managed to block 100% of the 440+ threats they were exposed to,  Microsoft security essentials was one of the worst, not even qualifing to be in the table, right now is the lowest denominator in antiviruses, all the tested programs except 1 did better than microsoft's.

I have been using kaspersky since 2 years ago, have to deal with many, many virus from the PCs I fix for clients, and it has never fail me.  (Plus right now kaspersky is giving a free copy of battlefield 3 with every antivirus in my country)

Mystery is the source of all true science.

MSE and Avast's free edition. They're pretty much the only ones worth bothering with. Careful browsing/ torrenting is a far better antivirus than anything.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

MSE and Avast's free edition. They're pretty much the only ones worth bothering with. Careful browsing/ torrenting is a far better antivirus than anything.

Careful browsing is NOT better, several popular sites have had infectious adds on them, you don't even need to click on them.  Not that you should not be careful, it will absolutely help.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I use the standard security that comes with Windows 8 (Windows Defender) and have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running as well, perfect combination for me, doesn't slow my computer down and has kept my computer protected to this day. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Using Webroot Secureanywhere, extremely light and really fast. Very well reviewed too. Expensive though.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Do you guys use third party firewalls, or do you just install a single antivirus program and then let the Windows firewall do the rest?

i like avast, but you have to tweak it a fair bit to stop it poping up all the time.

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

i like avast, but you have to tweak it a fair bit to stop it poping up all the time.

What sort of tweaks?

Careful browsing is NOT better, several popular sites have had infectious adds on them, you don't even need to click on them.  Not that you should not be careful, it will absolutely help.

Ah. I forgot to mention, Adblock :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

What sort of tweaks?

nothing to special, just going into the settings and select things like "gaming mode" and unselecting stuff like "show security popups"

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

I liked Kaspersky because it's lightweight. But I just use commonsense now.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

What sort of tweaks?

I'm not sure what he did, but you only need to click settings, silent mode and then check the box.

I've been using Kaspersky for years and I've recommended it to quite a few friends. Great program.

CM 690 II Lite | Crucial M4 128GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda Intel i5 2500k @ stock | Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Corsair TX650 V2 

Windows 8 Professional 64bit 

Kaspersky or just go with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I use Avast currently because I don't feel like digging out my rarely used ODD to install Kaspersky off of my motherboard disc. Maybe when I reinstall Windows. :P

kaspersky. been using it for a while, its light weight, not a resource hog and easy to use. if you do have a virus their recovery software is phenomenal. never had a virus/trojan/etc with it running.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I have used a few but I just have a preference for Kaspersky.