XPS 13 gaming?

Hi there

I'm looking at a xps 13 with a 6200u and I was wondering if if I bought an external graphics enclosure whether or not the 6200u with 8gb of RAM would be enough to power it?

Thanks

uh, you cant attach an external graphics card....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

uh, you cant attach an external graphics card....

Im pretty sure you can through thunderbolt 3 bro.... Like a razer core or any of the ones that will come out soon..............

1 minute ago, Tigercub72 said:

Im pretty sure you can through thunderbolt 3 bro.... Like a razer core or any of the ones that will come out soon..............

oh, i never used thunderbolt

you still need some software and drivers that support external GPU, you cant just plug in a GPU into a port and have it magically work

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you still need some software and drivers that support external GPU, you cant just plug in a GPU into a port and have it magically work

Dude I know that already..... I was only asking if the CPU would be enough to power like a 1070.

2 minutes ago, Tigercub72 said:

Dude I know that already..... I was only asking if the CPU would be enough to power like a 1070.

the 2 core 4 thread i5?

i can play minecraft just fine on it

Spoiler

the 2 core 4 thread i5?

i can play minecraft just fine on it

Yes the 2 core 4 thread I5. Would that be enough to play like warhammer total war with a 1070 attached to it.

1 minute ago, Mantayd17 said:

Never going to recommend an eGPU solution if the CPU is a dual-core U, or something in that range.

What about the Razer stealth?

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

except that is how it works, I have a eGXP beast egpu cradle

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

19 minutes ago, Tigercub72 said:

Yes the 2 core 4 thread I5. Would that be enough to play like warhammer total war with a 1070 attached to it.

yeah it would work

a laptop with a 4 core 8 thread i7 would be way better though

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Tigercub72 said:

What about the Razer stealth?

2 minutes ago, Mantayd17 said:

I see it this way: eGPU to me are hardly justifiable. Such setups usually cost quite a lot and you buy the notebook based on your needs, not adapt it to them.

Also, ultra low voltage CPUs aren't exactly powerful, and a 1070 paired with them... The Razer Stealth looks like a fine ultrabook to me indeed, but just that. If I want to game decently on a laptop I'd get one with a good enough dGPU already inside, which on the other hand is surely going to have much better specs than ultrabook hardware.

As far as I know the Razer stealth is the only ultrabookish laptop that is working with the Core. Also, most of the time the CPU is not the limiting factor when it comes to your game. Unless you have something like a pentium, most games end up hitting the ceiling when it comes to something like VRAM, etc. The thing about going with the eGPU is you really have to want that kind of thing. If it isn't going to fit in with how you already use things, then you might want to consider just building a cheaper desktop and buying a decent laptop. I agree a lot with Mantayd on this because even though you can upgrade your GPU, the ULV chip in the Stealth or XPS 13 is where you are going to hit your limit.