RX480 (x2) or 1070?

Currently have a 970, but I'm going to upgrade as soon as I can to a new card(s). Just need to know about whether I should buy two RX480's or one 1070. I have a 144hz panel so I want to know which option will give me the best results. The games I play include GTA V, Battlefield, CS:GO(not GPU intensive, I know), DayZ, and the Assassin's Creed series. Just want to hear what you guys think on this, so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Budget is $400ish so the 1080 isn't an option.

The RX480 hasn't even been released yet. The only benchmark we know is that it gets 62.5fps on Ashes of the Singularity.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

1 minute ago, Joegeddon said:

The RX480 hasn't even been released yet. The only benchmark we know is that it gets 62.5fps on Ashes of the Singularity.

And we all know that ashes of the singularity is a bullshit game for benchmarks.

I'd say that a single card would be better than a dual card solution, though we'll have to wait for legit benchmarks.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, Joegeddon said:

Obviously I'm going to wait until more benchmarks are released. 

3 minutes ago, ThatOneGuyThatOnlyPlaysPC said:

Obviously I'm going to wait until more benchmarks are released. 

And there you have your answer. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

And we all know that ashes of the singularity is a bullshit game for benchmarks.

Well put, I don't see how using a randomised visual as a test is a good idea. I would definitely muster up my patience and wait for the two RX 480's, even though you will (as everyone does) have to deal with micro-stutter issues etc, the 2x value might be excellent and I feel that it is extremely likely that the two will beat a 1070 most of the time.

1 minute ago, RaceOfAce said:

Well put, I don't see how using a randomised visual as a test is a good idea. I would definitely muster up my patience and wait for the two RX 480's, even though you will (as everyone does) have to deal with micro-stutter issues etc, the 2x value might be excellent and I feel that it is extremely likely that the two will beat a 1070 most of the time.

This is what I wanted to hear. Thank you!

Wait for vega.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

1x  gtx 970.

SLI.

I would sell my 970. Not going to pay $300 when I could sell it and only pay $100 for one/two cards that would perform better.

1 minute ago, ThatOneGuyThatOnlyPlaysPC said:

I would sell my 970. Not going to pay $300 when I could sell it and only pay $100 for one/two cards that would perform better.

you will be able to get one super cheap and get close to 1070 performance for a lot less. And you don't have to worry about selling stuff.

Ever since AMD showed the performance of the 480 in crossfire, every noob "enthusiast" wants dual 480s. Please for the love of pc gaming, don't go for multiple low end graphics cards, you WILL regret it no matter how much your ego tells you it's worth it. 

Go for the 1070.

Just now, kurahk7 said:

Ever since AMD showed the performance of the 480 in crossfire, every noob "enthusiast" wants dual 480s. Please for the love of pc gaming, don't go for multiple low end graphics cards, you WILL regret it no matter how much your ego tells you it's worth it. 

You're probably right. :/

multi-GPU configs can go to hell

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

multi-GPU configs can go to hell

i'm honestly kinda agreeing here, not for the first half, but for the second half.

24 minutes ago, ThatOneGuyThatOnlyPlaysPC said:

You're probably right. :/

its like asking whether to buy 2 950`s or a single 970...... two low end cards or a high end card, single high end card is usually the better option

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Just curious, are multiple gpu's still an issue? I'm not very caught up in pc tech, but doesn't sli/ cross fire cause issues in certain games? Or is that issue so limited to a small number of games that it doesn't matter anymore? Just wondering since in youtube comments and what not, the question of dual 480 vs a 1070/ 1080 is popping up a lot. And i expect more threads like this throughout numerous forums. 

25 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

doesn't sli/ cross fire cause issues in certain games

It does indeed, but for newer games using DX12 these issues can be reduced somewhat. 

OP forgot to mention:

• Another GTX970 could be good value for SLI, though not as powerful as 2x RX 480's. Used sales will be excellent, as the RX 480's value means the used sales of older cards will be cheap and you might snag a good bargain.
  • There will likely be a more powerful Polaris 10 card announced with GDDR5X or 40 CUs, or both.
  • Maybe the GTX1070 if you can afford it and you find a good deal. Do not get impatient and buy the Founder's Edition.
  • Vega will beat the current Pascal cards IMO due to HBM2. NVIDIA might release the GTX1080 Ti with HBM2 to compete, not that you could afford this card.

Just keep your eyes and ears open for news over the next couple of weeks. You should wait at least a month from today to make this choice.

Get the best single card you can afford since devs don't always support multi-gpu. Also for RX 480 chances are you are going to want more vram on both the cards so you need to get the 8GB versions which will likely be about $250ish each unless they decide not to charge extra for the 8GB ver which just isn't happening.

27 minutes ago, TrueMegaManiac said:

Get the best single card you can afford since devs don't always support multi-gpu. Also for RX 480 chances are you are going to want more vram on both the cards so you need to get the 8GB versions which will likely be about $250ish each unless they decide not to charge extra for the 8GB ver which just isn't happening.

Heard 229 which i hope is true. He should wait until he sees what amd has in store for the 490 and 490x. Because if they are calming this at 199 whats the 399 one do.