Usages of Server

Ok so I don't know if I posted this in the right place but here it goes :-).
I'm planning on building a way overpowered NAS / media server / private cloud etc using FreeNAS. I'm planning on using 2 Intel Xeon E5 2670's in my build with 28 GB of RAM.

So, anybody got any ideas of doing fun stuff with it? And I mean like things that could actually benefit me of course :-).

For now I have: plex, transmission, sickrage, couchpotato, ftp, cifs shares, maybe a vpn if that's possible (need to do more research), ownCloud, and after that I'm at a loss.

Anyone got any fun ideas?

You could fold or do other intensive tasks and use your server as a heater. xD

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

virtual machine inside virtual machine, inside a virtual machine, and so on...

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

13 hours ago, paradigm249 said:

virtual machine inside virtual machine, inside a virtual machine, and so on...

Actually, that's what I'm doing right now :-P. I'm using virtualbox to try some things with freenas and it in turn runs a virtualbox jail on which I'm installing ubuntu :-P

I like this thread, because I like to do the same sort of thing.

But I may also have some alternatives to some of that software.

I would use something like Emby instead of Plex, but I just watch stuff directly from SMB shares.

I would definitely use Sonarr instead of sickrage.

And for VPN you could use turnkeylinux OpenVPN. https://www.turnkeylinux.org/openvpn (or you could look into Pritunl)

And essentially the possibilities are endless with VMs

Comb it with a brick

8 hours ago, .:MARK:. said:

I would use something like Emby instead of Plex, but I just watch stuff directly from SMB shares.

I would definitely use Sonarr instead of sickrage.

Why those two? I use plex and am happy with it sure, is it that much different? I've read some comparisons giving plex like 75% and emby maybe 77%, so very little difference in my opinion.

Is Sonarr that much better than Sickrage? I've been using it for half a year now and haven't had any problems with Sickrage actually.

On 6/7/2016 at 10:24 AM, jowdemanne said:

Why those two? I use plex and am happy with it sure, is it that much different? I've read some comparisons giving plex like 75% and emby maybe 77%, so very little difference in my opinion.

Is Sonarr that much better than Sickrage? I've been using it for half a year now and haven't had any problems with Sickrage actually.

I have tried both Plex and Emby, and I've found Emby to be nicer to use and better at detecting media.

I've tried many TV downloaders, Sonarr by far was the best and has been in use on my server for ages.

The best way to determine what's best is to try them.

Comb it with a brick

Are you running linux? ; then try out Docker and put all ur stuff in different docker containers,

Oh and nextcloud is going to be the new owncloud, so you might want to keep an eye on that the ongoing months.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

On 6/3/2016 at 5:32 AM, Lurick said:

Folding@Home for idle CPU power or even sell the idle CPU power for a few bucks.

How would i sett my cpu power?

4 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

Are you running linux? ; then try out Docker and put all ur stuff in different docker containers,

Oh and nextcloud is going to be the new owncloud, so you might want to keep an eye on that the ongoing months.

I'm going to run FreeNAS, just because I think it's pretty good, hassle free and uses ZFS. Maybe I'll change later, don't know yet.