Is the RX480 that impressive ??

Jiraiya2016

So based on conversations circulating around the forum, basically the performance of RX 480 closely reassembles that of the R9 390, which is +/- 5% that of the R9 290. The R9 290 was released 2-3 years ago with a price tag of $399. I am not really sure but I personally think the price tag of RX 480 is somehow unimpressive, considering it is just an updated version of R9 290 (2-3 year old VG) (Obviously the new architecture and improved performance/watt, but I am just considering the performance/dollar here). 

If what we have been shown is completely true, the the performance/dollar is amazing. If thats just what your considering then you already know its crazy performance for a low price.

Where did you read its just an updated R9 290? If they can make a 290 perform that good at that low of a wattage, I wouldn't care if its the same core.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

You just said it, more performance for half the price.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

Yeah, after 2-3 years, that seems reasonable to me.

Wait until the card get's to reviwer's hands and then we'll know if it really is impressive or not.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Well AMD showed a slide with performance above the GTX 980 Ti (or maybe GTX 1080?) I believe. If it can do that in all games, for 200 USD, that would be amazing!!!

Of course not everyone is as skeptical as me.. The benchmark (Ashes of Singularity I believe) is made together with AMD and generally seems to run better on AMD's GPU's. It's also just one benchmark. We really don't know too much and people shouldn't get hyped too much now.

If it can live up to the hype some people are creating, yes it will be impressive. If not: we'll see.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

great performance+efficiency for the price

but anyone thinking to do CFX to match the 1080 performance is not very smart

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

If what we have been shown is completely true, the the performance/dollar is amazing. If thats just what your considering then you already know its crazy performance for a low price.

Where did you read its just an updated R9 290? If they can make a 290 perform that good at that low of a wattage, I wouldn't care if its the same core.

Just in term of performance, after 2-3 years and getting the same performance of the R9 290 for half the price isn't really that impressive though.

4 minutes ago, Jiraiya2016 said:

So based on conversations circulating around the forum, basically the performance of RX 480 closely reassembles that of the R9 390, which is +/- 5% that of the R9 290. The R9 290 was released 2-3 years ago with a price tag of $399. I am not really sure but I personally think the price tag of RX 480 is somehow unimpressive, considering it is just an updated version of R9 290 (2-3 year old VG) (Obviously the new architecture and improved performance/watt, but I am just considering the performance/dollar here). 

*cough* 28nm != 14nm *cough*

Also, 390X~ performance from what people have estimated (from the 3DMark benchmarks) for $200 is quite impressive.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Well AMD showed a slide with performance above the GTX 980 Ti (or maybe GTX 1080?) I believe. If it can do that in all games, for 200 USD, that would be amazing!!!

Of course not everyone is as skeptical as me.. The benchmark (Ashes of Singularity I believe) is made together with AMD and generally seems to run better on AMD's GPU's. It's also just one benchmark. We really don't know too much and people shouldn't get hyped too much now.

If it can live up to the hype some people are creating, yes it will be impressive. If not: we'll see.

Above 1080 on AoS with crossfire.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Jiraiya2016 said:

Just in term of performance, after 2-3 years and getting the same performance of the R9 290 for half the price isn't really that impressive though.

show me a Nvidia card that does that?

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Above 1080 on AoS with crossfire.

Ashes doesn't require crossfire, that's why it was used.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Not really trying to compare with Nvidia, just thinking of getting the performance of the card that was released 2.5 years ago for half the price isn't so exciting (in terms of performance only).

1 minute ago, Jiraiya2016 said:

Not really trying to compare with Nvidia, just thinking of getting the performance of the card that was released 2.5 years ago for half the price isn't so exciting (in terms of performance only).

You can't look at the last few years with AMD and use it to forecast anything. The reason AMD shows the performance over the years is it's the same chip, just rebranded. So all the support caries over. So we will see how support is handled from this point on.

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

The 480 at worst will perform roughly similar to the 390 which is barely slower than the 390x. The 390 can be had for under $300, making the 480 with a reference cooler, 33% cheaper. The 980ti is around $550, making the 1070 which performs similarly, 30% cheaper. So, if you compare current gen hardware, the expected performance roughly lines up with the msrp. 

If all holds up, it would be the best performance/$ on the market, by quite a bit.

1 minute ago, kurahk7 said:

The 480 at worst will perform roughly similar to the 390 which is barely slower than the 390x. The 390 can be had for under $300, making the 480 with a reference cooler, 33% cheaper. The 980ti is around $550, making the 1070 which performs similarly, 30% cheaper. So, if you compare current gen hardware, the expected performance roughly lines up with the msrp. 

but your comparing the Nvidia card  at its best compared to the 480 at its worst.

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

but your comparing the Nvidia card  at its best compared to the 480 at its worst.

All these discussions about how cheap the RX 480 is aren't hitting the point that the price tag is right at where it should be after 2.5 years of demonstrating the same performance in another card, which was the R9 290.

The RX 480 is actually aimed at the GTX 980 in terms of performance, not the R9 290. If y'all would stop posting about the card which we still don't know a lot about, and waited for benchmarks done by independent reviewers, that'd be great.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I agree with Jiraya2016.

A price drop on a GPU after 2.5 years of $200 is not impressive.

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

The RX 480 is actually aimed at the GTX 980 in terms of performance, not the R9 290. If y'all would stop posting about the card which we still don't know a lot about, and waited for benchmarks done by independent reviewers, that'd be great.

And if AMD would let the testers test BEFORE the card is for sale, that would be great.

2 minutes ago, Jiraiya2016 said:

All these discussions about how cheap the RX 480 is aren't hitting the point that the price tag is right at where it should be after 2.5 years of demonstrating the same performance in another card, which was the R9 290.

Im not sure what your getting at. If this is the only card to have such a huge performance for the price, meaning it breaks from the normal generational change from something like a 290->390 or 970->1070, then it is amazing price to performance. You cant simply disagree that it isn't. If you don't accept that then no GPU is going to please or impress you, and I don't know what your asking.

And you do know the R9 290 was a $399 GPU. Which means in only 3 years they halved the cost of the same performance

Just now, App4that said:

And if AMD would let the testers test BEFORE the card is for sale, that would be great.

If it was up to me, i'd let the independent reviewers to do their thing before the release date. But i'm not part of AMD. :)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just now, Fulgrim said:

If it was up to me, i'd let the independent reviewers to do their thing before the release date. But i'm not part of AMD. :)

So why would AMD do that? It's not logical, unless they are stalling. So why would they stall? Low performance, they need time to try and get the thing anywhere close to where they said it is.