Teamviewer compromised, reports of money lost via paypal and possibly other sources

Syntaxvgm

Many people so far on reddit have reported being hacked via teamviewer. Some catching it in action, seeing their mouse move and unplugging their mouse ethernet lol, others, not so lucky ending up with unauthorized transactions in their paypal account. 

Some believe there has been a breach of teamviewer's servers, others think it may be malware related or even password reuse- other sites were compromised and they attempted to log into teamviewer with those credentials. 

So far, Teamviewer is not acknowledging any breach, just network issues. 

https://twitter.com/TeamViewer

If you have teamviewer installed, I urge you to remove it, and investigate if you've been compromised. 

Seriously, that's why I'm posting this, I did not see this topic here. 

Head over tot he teamviewer sub for more information, including checking your connection logs. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/

Just a few link of people claiming to be hacked- there are MANY more, not just on reddit. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4m56gu/my_teamviewer_was_hacked_gift_cards_were/

https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4m5r3p/got_hacked_caught_them_in_the_act_heres_what_i/

https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4m3cbp/so_i_was_one_of_them/

https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4l4oq3/tv_hacked_with_2_factor_enabled_and_password/

https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4ktn46/wifes_machine_hit_through_tv_1000_in_amazon_gift/

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

Honestly, running an RDS connection 24/7 on your home PC isn't too wise... :|

While I do agree that you shouldn't run remote desktop servers on a home PC 24/7 unless you absolutely have to, and you know what you're doing. I'm not familiar enough with Teamviewer to discuss it particularly. But, I've been running SSH, and RealVNC Enterprise for externally connecting to my home network for years without any problems, ever. 

The main difference is that I follow (not perfect but) much more strict security practices than most people. I use SSH in most situations, with RealVNC limited to the local network. When necessary, I can SSH in with x11 forwarding to pass a RealVNC session window. But I can also SSH in and open up access to RealVNC directly over the internet if necessary. I always use 4k keys for SSH, 40+ character password for RealVNC, and change them frequently. 

While this may be an issue directly related to how Teamviewer works, or some flaw in their program. I think the bigger issue is how lax most people are with their own security practices.

9 minutes ago, Apathetik said:

While I do agree that you shouldn't run remote desktop servers on a home PC 24/7 unless you absolutely have to, and you know what you're doing. I'm not familiar enough with Teamviewer to discuss it particularly. But, I've been running SSH, and RealVNC Enterprise for externally connecting to my home network for years without any problems, ever. 

The main difference is that I follow (not perfect but) much more strict security practices than most people. I use SSH in most situations, with RealVNC limited to the local network. When necessary, I can SSH in with x11 forwarding to pass a RealVNC session window. But I can also SSH in and open up access to RealVNC directly over the internet if necessary. I always use 4k keys for SSH, 40+ character password for RealVNC, and change them frequently. 

While this may be an issue directly related to how Teamviewer works, or some flaw in their program. I think the bigger issue is how lax most people are with their own security practices.

See, that is exactly what you should be doing. Way to go sir!

Actually, they have responded with a full statement on their website saying people are essentially reusing old or insecure passwords:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/company/press/statement-on-service-outage/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social%20&utm_content=statementserviceoutage&utm_campaign=Social

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Many people so far on reddit have reported being hacked via teamviewer. Some catching it in action, seeing their mouse move and unplugging their mouse, others, not so lucky ending up with unauthorized transactions in their paypal account. 

Thats why i dont keep any important passwords saved in a browser nor anywhere else on my PC. Old pen and paper always safe :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

If you have teamviewer installed, I urge you to remove it, and investigate if you've been compromised. 

thats bullshit.

they cant open the program and connect to your computer just cos you have teamviewer installed lol.

if you are silly enough to have it running all the time with some remote connection, then dont do that.

not really sure how but they got my email and sent me a "contact request":

rrsd@ziggo.nl would like to add you as a contact in his/her TeamViewer contacts list.

To accept rrsd@ziggo.nl as a contact please click the following link.
https://login.teamviewer.com/accountnotification.aspx?lng=en&token=(removed)

as long as you don't leave the door open, you are fine.

27 minutes ago, Thony said:

Thats why i dont keep any important passwords saved in a browser nor anywhere else on my PC. Old pen and paper always safe :)

that is imposible, ive gather so many of them i would need a catalogue full of them, searching for anything in there would take forever, best is to keep it in a document locked in an encrypted archive, and without googles password memory i would have to use same account and password for everything, else i wouldnt remember them

1 hour ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

See, that is exactly what you should be doing. Way to go sir!

Oh telling people to remove the program that may be compromised is bullshit? Especially when TV is flat out denying this is happening? Fact is we don't know 100% what caused this, and I only said that as A LOT of people set up unattended access, and have it start with windows so they can access their computer any time away from home. It sounds stupid, but a lot of people do that, believe me. You're right, it's smarter to not have it open when you are not using it, but that's not how a lot of people use it. In fact, I think setting up unattended access is part of the installation prompts. 
I think what you are missing here is the reason people use teamviewer is it's very easy to set up for those that aren't necessarily power users, and simply telling them to remove it is a pretty safe bet until this is figured out. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

34 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

simply telling them to remove it is a pretty safe bet until this is figured out. 

Its already been figured out. Its just people reusing passwords and using insecure passwords. 

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

31 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Its already been figured out. Its just people reusing passwords and using insecure passwords. 

that's a theory, but likely. 

muh specs 

All parts black

thanks for the heads up

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

How exactly did people think unplugging their mouse would stop an attacker who has a remote connection from controlling the cursor?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How exactly did people think unplugging their mouse would stop an attacker who has a remote connection from controlling the cursor?

My exact first thought too, if you going to unplug anything it should be the power, not the mouse. 

I have RDC running on my fileserver 24/7 and have never had any issues, I use a really obscure username which is the only account that has access (Admin account is using a stupid passphrase no one will ever brureforce, heck I can't even remember it) and a secure passphrase. If you gonna allow anything full in and outbound Internet then you'd better go out of you way to ensure its secure. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

so.. up until i heard of this i was still running teamviewer off a hideously old password of mine, i checked my home server, and nothing. i've actuallyn dug trough my (ridiculously long) logs and there's nothing but my main desktop and my laptop there.

needless to say i decided to swap to a new password just in case. (fyi, the password i used on teamviewer was older than the one that was compromised on this forum with the big man in the middle attack)

do as i say; not as i do: if you're gonna give people a direct link to your device, MAKE DANG FRIKKIN SURE ITS PASSWORDED GOOD.

This is only if you're made an account right?

If you just use the ID and random password assigned per TV launch, then you're fine? 

7 hours ago, M4st4M1nd said:

If that is true, this isn't a hack.  It's just people with bad passwords falling victim to said passwords, which could (and has) happened on every other website in existence.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This may sound stupid, but I want to ask anyway,

I use Teamviewer but I haven't had the application running for the past week or so. does that mean I'm safe since there was no client to connect to?

Also Teamviewer responded - http://www.teamviewer.com/en/company/press/statement-on-service-outage/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social &utm_content=statementserviceoutage&utm_campaign=Social

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I would remove it, but it is the only one that lets me transfer files from my desktop to laptop while I am at school, port 21 is blocked unless on a school computer and I usually grab files all the time from my desktop while in class that I need only two computers have the account set up and one has been off since January and the other TeamViewer has been closed since I installed it (classes had ended for the term).  So I have to stick with TeamViewer unless anyone has a good windows and linux FREE alternative with file sharing

4 minutes ago, flowalex said:

I would remove it, but it is the only one that lets me transfer files from my desktop to laptop while I am at school, port 21 is blocked unless on a school computer and I usually grab files all the time from my desktop while in class that I need only two computers have the account set up and one has been off since January and the other TeamViewer has been closed since I installed it (classes had ended for the term).  So I have to stick with TeamViewer unless anyone has a good windows and linux FREE alternative with file sharing

VNC and RDC both support file transfer. Heck you could SSH in and file transfer, you can manually set a port for your SSH connection then run putty from a flash drive at school. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

RDC is blocked except on school computers (in the computing and Digital media labs only) only ports available are 80 and 443.  And for VNC the only ones that I have found that support file transfer cost 30 USD per device, if there is one different than the one below link it to me

https://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/ 

It may have actually been a hack. If their DNS was hijacked, they could probably then approve any connection they like, regardless of method. Some have reported being compromised even with two factor.

29 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

It may have actually been a hack. If their DNS was hijacked, they could probably then approve any connection they like, regardless of method. Some have reported being compromised even with two factor.

Not without breaking the encryption first, I'm damn sure TV is using some form of encryption, right? 

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

really? they did? That's funny. I noticed one said they unplugged their Ethernet, which is the correct thing to do. 

muh specs 

All parts black