Dynamic Audio Output Switching

Schyken

I'm going to preface this by saying that my computer is running Windows 10 and everything involving the display is handled by a GTX 745. I've got my monitor set up through the big white connector, the one with the holes and stuff. and my tv is hooked up to it as a second display through HDMI. I always use the 'Extend Screen' option where I can just drag windows over from one desktop to the next. However the audio just loves to play though ONE device (Usually the TV). I have speakers plugged into the 3.5mm jack... I want the audio to play through the device that the window is associated with. If I drag a window over to the tv, I want the audio to play there. If I drag it over to my monitor, I want it to play through the desktop speakers. How do I do this? Is it even possible?

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

Honestly, I doubt this is possible. The video and audio systems on a computer are typically completely separate.  They know nothing about each other, so there's no way to swap the audio of a single application depending on where it's located on the physical displays.

Probably not possible, since windows has pnly two different audio devices active at the same time, one for audio and one for communication (as listed in your "Playback" devices). What might work for you: I use a program called Auto Hotkey to change the default audio device betweent my Audio Card and my Onboard audio when I switch between speakers and headphones - simply by pressing Windows Key + H (for Headphones :P) You could use it to switch between your Onboard and HDMI Audio.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

17 hours ago, Speakerator said:

Probably not possible, since windows has pnly two different audio devices active at the same time, one for audio and one for communication (as listed in your "Playback" devices). What might work for you: I use a program called Auto Hotkey to change the default audio device betweent my Audio Card and my Onboard audio when I switch between speakers and headphones - simply by pressing Windows Key + H (for Headphones :P) You could use it to switch between your Onboard and HDMI Audio.

AutoHotkey uses LUA, right? The funky coding language that starts from 1 instead of 0?

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

TBO I have no Idea. I set it up over a year ago. The "audio switch" problem is quite widespread, so I simply copied a script I found online and made some minor changes. Nothing anyone with even the slightest knowledge in any programming language can't figure out^^

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Funny I was just about to post a similar question on the forums.  I recently bought a Patriot Viper V360 headset and was surprised to find out it uses a USB connector instead of the more traditional audio jacks (note to self:  read specs more thoroughly next time).  Unfortunately all of my gear - the built in headset jacks on my gaming keyboard, the exterior headset jacks on my pc case - are no longer relevant, and the audio switch software (VIA?) running under Win10 doesn't recognize a change when I connect/disconnect the headset's USB.  To make things that much more "fun", even though the specs do say this headset has a mute switch, it does not!  After calling Patriot's tech support, they said you can fold the boom mike back into the left speaker to mute - umm thanks but no thanks.

So I found a little app called "MicMute" which can be mapped to a hotkey and that's how I mute this headset - not perfect, but I don't have much choice.  However I'm still left with the problem of getting Windows (and some of my games) to know whether I'm using speakers or the headset.  So far the only thing that seems to be consistent is going into Windows and manually changing the default playback/recording device each time I want to switch.

I'm going to try your suggestion with Auto Hotkey and see how the works out.  Thanks for the tip!