Price tag of RX 480 Revealed: $199 4GB, $229 8GB (Confirmed)

Briggsy
2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're right, except for one small detail. Nvidia can drop prices if AMD is gaining a sizeable market share (Nvidia isn't selling as well as they would like). Undercutting isn't an effective tool when you're competition can do exactly the same thing. A price war would occur either way, but pricing something far lower than the competition only speeds up the decline (good for consumers, not great for a bottom line). 

Oh, and the last time I checked, being the "cheaper" option hasn't worked out too well for AMD. 

Unless the card competes witha 980ti it wont be beating the 1070 in performance if anything itll be gunning for the cards below the 1070. I find it funny when AMD said they didnt want to be the cheap option but now cementing themselves as the cheap option.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Probably?

Fail safe.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Fail safe.

How´d they even do that? Pay whoever makes 3dmark to give a fake number for crossfire setups? Crossfire has always scaled pretty well, don´t see why´d they bother.

58 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Pipe dreams, probably won't outrun the 1080 at all. A single 1080 FE with no overclock beats the RX480 CF by ~2,000 points in 3Dmark.

To be fair, we don´t know what those 480´s were running at in that benchmark.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

How´d they even do that? Pay whoever makes 3dmark to give a fake number for crossfire setups? Crossfire has always scaled pretty well, don´t see why´d they bother.

Again, I could care less about everyone's insults.  It's what people do when they're incapable of defending themselves in a rational manner.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Again, I could care less about everyone's insults.  It's what people do when they're incapable of defending themselves in a rational manner.

I apologize if it seemed I was insulting you, it was not my intention. I´m genuinely asking how´d they do that.

34 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Fail safe.

Seriously though, how would they go about doing that?

12 hours ago, Megazero said:

This is every single different scene in their "benchmark", I think the different in terrain detail is quite clear, and in some case the number of unit it also really different too. I'm not too familiar with the AoS Benchmark so anyone can tell for certain can you set those setting up in the benchmark? (like number of unit etc?)

The presenter also said clearly that the right one is the 700$ card, so we know without a doubt which side is which now

(Full size picture here, capture at 1080p setting for youtube: https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2016_06/AMD.png.4819bf44a8319f06f5e1d6c560db7113.png )

AMD.png

Of course they will put their settings down.

Where is the Fury X part ii?? This isn't as fast as a fury, that card is over 8 teraflops. All they need to do is release the 4096 stream fury card on the new process node, except this time, don't be a moron and give us 8gb of memory instead of 4gb of hbm and include HDMI 2.0. Done. The only reason I never bought a fury was lack of hdmi 2.0 and 4gb of vram being completely inadequate, especially for crossfire.  Guess we are waiting on better yields.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

10 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Where is the Fury X part ii?? This isn't as fast as a fury, that card is over 8 teraflops. All they need to do is release the 4096 stream fury card on the new process node, except this time, don't be a moron and give us 8gb of memory instead of 4gb of hbm and include HDMI 2.0. Done. The only reason I never bought a fury was lack of hdmi 2.0 and 4gb of vram being completely inadequate, especially for crossfire.  Guess we are waiting on better yields.

you do realize that its not possible to have more then 4gb hbm1

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

4 minutes ago, ltguy said:

That's gonna be Vega, basically.

On topic, while I'm kinda hyped for Polaris, I'm genuinely worried about Zen.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

13 minutes ago, themaniac said:

you do realize that its not possible to have more then 4gb hbm1

Yes, yes I do. Sorry for that omission. I would have preferred they stuck with 8gb of gdrr5 or now gddr5x until hbm2 was ready.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Furthermore 3Dmark probably gives a lot better crossfire results than most games, so real game benches will likely show a bigger performance gap.

lol NOPE. CF scaling for 3DMark is worse then most games. Hell, BF4, SWBF, RotTR and Hitman has better scaling then 3DMark by a long-shot

13 hours ago, Megazero said:

This is every single different scene in their "benchmark", I think the different in terrain detail is quite clear, and in some case the number of unit it also really different too. I'm not too familiar with the AoS Benchmark so anyone can tell for certain can you set those setting up in the benchmark? (like number of unit etc?)

The presenter also said clearly that the right one is the 700$ card, so we know without a doubt which side is which now

(Full size picture here, capture at 1080p setting for youtube: https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2016_06/AMD.png.4819bf44a8319f06f5e1d6c560db7113.png )

AMD.png

iv'e run that benchmark a shitload of times. The only way i can replicate those results are to play with color and contrast settings in my GPU drivers.

Only the second and last image show clear differences in shadows. However even that can come down to display cable used.

HDMI often look slightly washed out on some projectors compared to DisplayPort. I do not know why, but i imagine it has to do with the compression used.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

iv'e run that benchmark a shitload of times. The only way i can replicate those results are to play with color and contrast settings in my GPU drivers.

Only the second and last image show clear differences in shadows. However even that can come down to display cable used.

HDMI often look slightly washed out on some projectors compared to DisplayPort. I do not know why, but i imagine it has to do with the compression used.

I think the washed out look is because some GPUs run in a limited range over HDMI instead of full RGB. I can't remember the exact setting. If my memory is correct, you have to manually switch to full RGB mode or the colors will look awful. I think this is an issue that only affects HDMI (might be wrong).

The AotS benchmarks can be found on the site, they use the same settings.

GTX 1080

RX 480 CF

Found on the AMD reddit.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That's gonna be Vega, basically.

On topic, while I'm kinda hyped for Polaris, I'm genuinely worried about Zen.

Lol why are you worried about Zen?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

Lol why are you worried about Zen?

its probably because theres a difference between competing with Intel and competing with NVidia

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

I think the washed out look is because some GPUs run in a limited range over HDMI instead of full RGB. I can't remember the exact setting. If my memory is correct, you have to manually switch to full RGB mode or the colors will look awful. I think this is an issue that only affects HDMI (might be wrong).

I have no idea what those pictures show, but what you said is true for Nvidia GPUs.

Nvidia GPUs default to 16-235 levels for RGB when you use HDMI. I am pretty sure AMD defaults to the full 0-255.

The reason for this is because HDTV content actually use the limited 16-235 range, and Nvidia GPUs simply assume that you are connected to a TV whenever you use HDMI.

8 hours ago, Overkilled said:

so $200 is £138 so theoretically 3 of these are £414 which is right around 1070 territory.

Just curious how will three of these perform  

Oh, $200 won't translate to £138. Probably around ~ £200.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

-snip-

Eh, I can't be asked, and isn't that for 7th gen APU? AMD likes to market them towards MOBA players.

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

Eh, I can't be asked, and isn't that for 7th gen APU? AMD likes to market them towards MOBA players.

Yep, which is what has me really worried. LoL is pretty CPU intensive and 36 or so FPS isn't far from a Kaveri APU.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

-snip-

You do understand Bristol Ridge APUs are Excavator based? These aren't the 8th gen of APUs, which would be Raven Ridge based on Zen.