AMD Radeon RX 480 Leak

hazzerjt
1 minute ago, DXMember said:

i know that but I don't want to believe that Vega's gonna have HBM1

They have said hbm2 several times 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Polaris and Vega are gcn 4. It's the same damn architecture. Tonga and Fiji have different names but they're both gcn 3.

To quote someone before, they're different macroarchitectures based on the same microarchitecture.

Possibly the only difference besides size on Vega chips is the different memory controllers.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I am sorry, but yes HBM 1 and there is no performance benefit for a consumer to get HBM 2

More memory, the fury x is held back by 4gb's of ram.  amd-gpu-roadmap-navi-vega.jpg

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

1 minute ago, marldorthegreat said:

They have said hbm2 several times 

but tell that to @Dackzy

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

More memory, the fury x is held back by 4gb's of ram.  amd-gpu-roadmap-navi-vega.jpg

you can have more than 4gb of ram with HBM 1

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

More memory, the fury x is held back by 4gb's of ram. 

HBM1 can support 8GB of VRAM.

HBM2 can support 32GB of VRAM.

the Fury X is held back by a lack of ROPs more then its VRAM. For fucks sake, it has the same amount of ROPs as the 390X.... Despite nearly twice the shader count, it STILL cannot push that much more pixels. Just apply effects to images faster.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

HBM1 can support 8GB of VRAM.

HBM2 can support 32GB of VRAM.

the Fury X is held back by a lack of ROPs more then its VRAM. For fucks sake, it has the same amount of ROPs as the 390X.... Despite nearly twice the shader count, it STILL cannot push that much more pixels. Just apply effects to images faster.

Then why didnt the fury x have 8gbs of ram 

Because that would not help anything, they needed to have more ROP.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

most likely yields. HBM yields werent great (read: bad) for the first two three months of the FuryX launch.

If it was hard to get good yields with 4GB, imagine 8GB.... remember, they pioneered a new memory tech. There will take some time before the process is able to mature.

Its not like we saw 32GB of GDDR5 running 6GHz right after GDDR5 came out either. The technology needed time to get chip density, frequency binning and yields in check.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Because that would not help anything, they needed to have more ROP.

Most high end games at 4k, what the card was targeted at, uses up all 4gb's. 

3 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

Yeah, but then they will run in to a problem with the ROPs and as Prysin said it would be insanely hard to get 8GB of HBM. When new tech comes to marked it will take some time, before it is good and cheaper and easier to make.

no. The benchmarks showed, and proved that the Fury X didnt hit VRAM limit before 5k.

The memory compression and massive bus (data can reside in the bus and in VRAM, giving you more "effective" VRAM) makes it so that only a few games can hit that 4GB limit at 4K. With the massive shader array, most of the VRAM heavy stuff like shaders and AA, is dealt with so fast it doesnt need to stay in VRAM for long.

Just now, Prysin said:

no. The benchmarks showed, and proved that the Fury X didnt hit VRAM limit before 5k.

The memory compression and massive bus (data can reside in the bus and in VRAM, giving you more "effective" VRAM) makes it so that only a few games can hit that 4GB limit at 4K. With the massive shader array, most of the VRAM heavy stuff like shaders and AA, is dealt with so fast it doesnt need to stay in VRAM for long.

HBM does have pretty wide buses.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

According to this article, the RX 480 is priced at $199 and delivers performance similar to $500 graphics cards (assuming the 980 & Fury).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/amd-prices-3-d-cards-to-spur-virtual-reality-market-1464725394

Reveal hidden contents

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is angling to lower the cost of virtual reality, targeting the field with a new line of graphics hardware priced at $199—half or less the cost of comparable products.

AMD said the first chips based on its new Polaris design are expected to arrive in graphics cards for personal computers at the end of June. The company aims to help push the starting cost of PCs that can deliver VR experiences as low as $799 from above $1,000.
Consumers also face the cost of the latest generation of VR headsets—$599 for the Oculus Rift from Facebook Inc. ’s Oculus VR unit, for example, or $799 for HTC Corp. ’s Vive.
ADVERTISEMENT
But the need for a PC with an add-in card that includes a beefy 3-D graphics chip is another barrier that stands in the way of widespread adoption of VR. An online survey conducted in April by the Advanced Imaging Society found that 68% of respondents said VR equipment was too expensive.
“Less than 1% of PC users have systems that are capable of doing VR,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect of AMD’s Radeon technologies group. “The entry point is very, very high.”
AMD said its new Radeon RX cards, certified for use in VR by HTC and Oculus VR, deliver performance equivalent to that of $500 graphics cards used for VR.
Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy briefed on AMD’s strategy, estimated that the current minimum price on cards comparable to AMD’s new models is $399. He said the $199 pricing comes as a surprise.
“It’s great for getting more people into VR,” said Kelt Reeves, president of Falcon Northwest Computer Systems Inc., a boutique maker of gaming PCs that serves the market.
AMD competes with Nvidia Corp. in the chips known as graphics processing units, or GPUs. Mercury Research estimates that Nvidia had 70.6% of shipments in the first quarter of 2016 to 29.4% for AMD, though the latter’s share is up three percentage points from the fourth quarter.
Standard practice in the GPU business has been to start new product lines with high-end cards that command hefty prices and profit margins. Mr. Koduri said AMD hoped that breaking from tradition by starting with a lower-cost model could have a bigger impact. For one thing, he said, computer retailers prefer to stock machines for less than $999.
Nvidia on May 7 introduced a new flagship model called the GTX 1080 at a $599 price tag that is expected to succeed a $1,000 model called the Titan X. Nvidia also introduced a $379 model called the GTX 1070, which is likely to be seen as competition to the new AMD model.
“It’s up to Nvidia to come up with a lower-priced card,” Mr. Moorhead said.
An Nvidia spokesman had no immediate comment.
AMD, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., plans to formally announce the new chips early Wednesday at the Computex trade show in Taiwan.

And I quote:

Whoa...

6591c415409087.562909be737fb.jpg

Keep the news coming. :D

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

4 hours ago, Valentyn said:

That's a not a bad price for GTX 980 performance at all. Makes you wonder what the 480X, 490 and 490X will do on Polaris then. Never mind Vega 10 and Vega 11

From my understanding of the rumor mill the X90(X) and Fury will be Vega 10 and 11 respectively. 

4 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Whoa...

6591c415409087.562909be737fb.jpg

Keep the news coming. :D

in about 4-5 hours they will start the conference

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

in about 4-5 hours they will start the conference

giphy.gif

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

giphy.gif

Yeah if you don't live in a part of the world were it starts like 4-5 in the morning.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I made a countdown!

AMD's Thingy

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I made a countdown!

AMD's Thingy

Good for you. I will be sleeping when it starts and maybe wake up 3-4 hours after it started.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah if you don't live in a part of the world were it starts like 4-5 in the morning.

That's fine. I'm not watching the entire thing, probably not even live. I just want to be updated.

Even if it started at 4AM in my time, that is fine by me. I can wait. ^_^

It's not like the news is going to disappear after the event, and you can watch the whole thing later too.

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

That's fine. I'm not watching the entire thing, probably not even live. I just want to be updated.

Even if it started at 4AM in my time, that is fine by me. I can wait. ^_^

It's not like the news is going to disappear after the event, and you can watch the whole thing later too.

I will just read all the more important things, when i get up.

3 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So the performance of a $400 GPU (980) for $250-$300 with a single 6-pin and fully capable of VR. Or does the RX mean that it's the 480X? 

I'm happy with that. Makes me even more exited for the -X variant and the 490(X) GPUs. Not to mention the behemoths that are Vega 10 and 11 (the latter of which is apparently having over 6000 stream processors).

Where did you get that 6000 stream processors info from ? I can get find it anywhere. 

With the "mainstream" segment of litterally tomorrow rivaling the "enthusiast" segment of today, I am as excited by the next few GPUs releases as If I were about to experience a mad roller coaster dive and looping.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I will just read all the more important things, when i get up.

See? Nothing to fret. It's actually better if you wait, people can summarize the event for you.