AMD Radeon RX 480 Leak

hazzerjt

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10-graphics-card-leak/

It will feature 8GB of GDDR5, 5.5TFLOPS with only a single 6-pin connector and is aimed at 1440p/VR and expanding these into the mainstream

IMO the specs of it seem good for the price. Although it is kinda strange that they are comparing it to the 900 series of cards:

AMD is also pitting the card against the GeForce 900 series Maxwell parts such as the GTX 980

it makes sense as there aren't any competing Pascal cards.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
fixed quote of source

please read and correct your post 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

AMD is also pitting the card against the GeForce 900 series Maxwell parts such as the GTX 980 which means they are going to battle NVIDIA in the mainstream market.

AMD is going to battle the previous generation of graphics hardware? I guess that's picking your battles.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

-snip-

You're not a mod, just report it.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Amd live stream tonight at 10pm est

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

AMD is going to battle the previous generation of graphics hardware? I guess that's picking your battles.

The hardware generation is irrelevant.

AMD is battling at a certain level of performance, and at the moment all Nvidia has there is older hardware. The important thing is price. 980 performance for $300? That sounds good to me.

AMD is making a good move by hitting the larger chunk of the curve first. They need to build up their market share. If they can provide cards with the excellent price/performance that is rumoured, then they should take up a decent amount of the market before Nvidia can respond.

14 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

There is nothing new from NVIDIA to compare it to at the moment.

The 480 is supposed to compete with the 1050 ( like the 380 vs 950, 380x vs 960), which isn't here yet. It does however compare to the 980 according to AMD's slide there.

Even so we only need to wait a few hours to see what AMD has to reveal at Computex.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Yeah, I can get that. But if this happened because AMD mis-predicted what Nvidia was going to do, and thought we'd all go for another lap around the same general throughput, and that they could milk consumers for one more gen while being an obstacle to the already very-slowed advancement PC gaming graphics, then I'd be pissed off.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

So, AMD for low-end; nVidia for high-end. Simple as that. Both companies have respective price brackets covered for everyone.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

If the RX 480 brings 980-like performance at a mainstream price (under 250), they will do very well with this card. We will have to wait for full details and ultimately the GTX 1060 to find out exactly how well though.

Getting excited for tonight's livestream. I was sold on getting a gtx 1070 but I might have to wait this one out a bit.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

So, AMD for low-end; nVidia for high-end. Simple as that. Both companies have respective price brackets covered for everyone.

Ignoring that AMD is bringing Vega for the high-end and enthusiast levels at the end of the year. They have two nodes , Polaris and Vega.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Ignoring that AMD is bringing Vega for the high-end and enthusiast levels at the end of the year. They have two nodes , Polaris and Vega.

Vega is next year, but nVidia is also bringing the Titan/Ti as well as GP106.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

There've been rumours that Vega might've been bumped to October, 2016. Has there been anything clarifying whether that is or isn't the case?

8 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Next year or late this year, AMD have not stated when yet. NVIDIA however has stated P100 is early next year, and seeing as the rumors for the new Titan shows it using GP102, it seems to be a heavily cutdown version of P100( all the compute slashed most likely).

Also Polaris 10 is geared to compete with GP106 in the mainstream, and according to the OP's source the 480 is supposed to come in at $199-$249.

That's a not a bad price for GTX 980 performance at all. Makes you wonder what the 480X, 490 and 490X will do on Polaris then. Never mind Vega 10 and Vega 11

Just a little less than GTX1070 performance for $130 less?
I guess this is the new sweet spot for price/performance.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

There've been rumours that Vega might've been bumped to October, 2016. Has there been anything clarifying whether that is or isn't the case?

I made a thread where Roy Taylor(?) or somebody from AMD said Polaris will be it for this year. You can check my thread history and find the info. Can't do it right now as I'm at work.

Next year or late this year, AMD have not stated when yet. NVIDIA however has stated P100 is early next year, and seeing as the rumors for the new Titan shows it using GP102, it seems to be a heavily cutdown version of P100.

If the rumors are true, it's actually not a heavily cut-down version of the P100. What they did is remove the 64-bit compute units that aren't needed for gaming, and potentially switch to GDDR5X. 

The P100 is actually not the full fat chip. According to the report the GP102 will have more cuda cores than the P100.

1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

If the rumors are true, it's actually not a heavily cut-down version of the P100. What they did is remove the 64-bit compute units that aren't needed for gaming, and potentially switch to GDDR5X. 

The P100 is actually not the full fat chip. According to the report the GP102 will have more cuda cores than the P100.

That would be interesting, although once again a Titan without compute is just a terrible buy over the Ti under it.

Shall be interesting to see how that develops.

That would be interesting, although once again a Titan without compute is just a terrible buy over the Ti under it.

As far as I'm aware they're keeping all/most of the 32-bit compute units. The 'TI' version will still likely be a much better buy, assuming they don't go GP102 for the TI, and GP100 for the Titan (i.e. Titan has HBM2).

19 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

There is nothing new from NVIDIA to compare it to at the moment.

The 480 is supposed to compete with the 1050 ( like the 380 vs 950, 380x vs 960), which isn't here yet. It does however compare to the 980 according to AMD's slide there.

Even so we only need to wait a few hours to see what AMD has to reveal at Computex.

Since when did the gtx 950 compete with the r9 380 non-X? The r9 380 is about 10%+ faster than the gtx 960 4GB the r9 380x is adding about 15% more performance o top of that. The competition for the gtx 950 was the GCN 1.0 R7 370 non x (basically a hd 7850).

8 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

As far as I'm aware they're keeping all/most of the 32-bit compute units. The 'TI' version will still likely be a much better buy, assuming they don't go GP102 for the TI, and GP100 for the Titan (i.e. Titan has HBM2).

we won't be getting gp100 in the next titan. Too expensive to manufacture , and has useless features for the consumer (which cost die space =money )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

7 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Not gonna happen, you know why? You can´t just change the memory interface, going from HBM2 to GDDR5X would mean, that they have redesign the whole chip for a market that would not even pay them back the R&D they used to make it (with no DP, they can not make any quatros, or Teslas, well maybe some for machine learning). Not gonna happen, GP100 will be only found in the tesla P100 and they will design a new chip GP102, which can be used to actually make money in the not very profitable gaming market.

that the info i was waiting for... if its the flagship model.... going for a 1080 or 1070 for sure...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

970Perf>>>>.<<<<<<980Perf

......I personally think the performance from it,...will be in the above scale.

Based on not much.... but we'll see.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, Mr_Troll said:

that the info i was waiting for... if its the flagship model.... going for a 1080 or 1070 for sure...

If it is, and if Vega isn't coming this year, then I'm going to get a 1080. That wasn't my plan, and I was hoping for a HBM2 Vega card. But I'm running a 280x, and I don't see myself waiting until next year to get a new graphics card.

I think AMD has picked a nice spot for their RX 480, but I think we also need something edging above a GTX 1080 right now. If Vega is next year, then it'll possibly be matched, or maybe beaten, with a 1080Ti.

Both Nvidia and AMD have gone about capitalizing on sales in the entirely wrong manner. They see people not buying cards that often, and so they slow down their graphics tech progression, to milk more money for each micr-step they take, and this consequently slows down what game developers are willing to do to push graphics in their games, as people won't have systems capable of running higher graphics, and they want as many people to buy their games as possible.

What Nvidia and AMD should be doing, and should have been doing all along, is financing a small number of AAA studios each year to add a top layer setting of envelope-pushing graphics in their games, that exceed whatever the best single GPU on the market is capable of handling. That, in turn, would lead to more people buying high-end graphics cards, letting graphics card companies make their money back, while not reducing the market for a game's sales. Nvidia claims to have spent $2.8 billion researching the GTX 1080. Well, just $40 million could fund 3 AAA studios to add a layer of graphics that would push graphics card sales beyond an additional $40.