Building a PC for the first time could use some help

sauce55

This is my first time trying to build a gaming PC can any help me out with a few things?  I have a budget of only $1000 this what I have in mind let me know what you think.

MB...........MSI MSI Gaming 970 Gaming AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 and SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

CPU........AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

GPU........MSI GeForce GTX 980 GAMING 4G

RAM........HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

HD...........WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA

Power......Rosewill RD700-M - Stallion Series 700-Watt Modular Power Supply

Case........Rosewill Stryker M, ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case

Nothing is set in stone only thing I would like to keep is the GTX 980. I would appreciate any help I can get. 

I wouldn't be buying a 980 unless you can get it for a lot cheaper than the $380 1070 which is better.

980's look like they're still $450 and they're a full performance tier behind the 1070.

4 minutes ago, sauce55 said:

This is my first time trying to build a gaming PC can any help me out with a few things?  I have a budget of only $1000 this what I have in mind let me know what you think.

MB...........MSI MSI Gaming 970 Gaming AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 and SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

Nothing is set in stone only thing I would like to keep is the GTX 980. I would appreciate any help I can get. 

Get a 650 watt EVGA or seasonsic power supply with an i5 6600k, Z170 motherboard and DDR4 RAM, it will smoke the 8350 for the same cost... if u wanna save a bit go Z97 with a i5 4690k and DDR3.

if your gaming, you only need 8GB RAM, use the extra money for an i5 6600k

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

3 minutes ago, sauce55 said:

i think that when picking a cpu you should always pick an intel one, just personal preference and they are acc quite good value if you get a haswell one like 4690k, you wont need fast ram so that could be cheaper if you went with some 1600 mhz ram go for it and i quite like corsair but hyper x is still great. GET AN SSD, wether it is nvme or not (only compatible with intel, i think and only z97 and newer.) the rest is just personal preference.

9 minutes ago, sauce55 said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6Nv2Fd

5 minutes ago, rtpb5642 said:

Get a 650 watt EVGA or seasonsic power supply with an i5 6600k, Z170 motherboard and DDR4 RAM, it will smoke the 8350 for the same cost... if u wanna save a bit go Z97 with a i5 4690k and DDR3.

if your gaming, you only need 8GB RAM, use the extra money for an i5 6600k

i have 8gb and run out regularly, i would still recomend 16 gb but 8 gb minimum.

5 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

That 980 is more expensive that the 1070, performs far worse than the 1070, and has a cereal box cooler on it. Half the VRAM etc etc etc.

If OP only has a budget of $1000, why are we suggesting they overspend on an item that is clearly overpriced now?

You can get way more value for your money if you're just patient.

1 minute ago, Hunched said:

That 980 is more expensive that the 1070, performs far worse than the 1070, and has a cereal box cooler on it. Half the VRAM etc etc etc.

If OP only has a budget of $1000, why are we suggesting they overspend on an item that is clearly overpriced now?

You can get way more value for your money if you're just patient.

i know that! he said though he wanted the 980

I don't have to get a 980 i just wanted something that will work good with a VR headset that I will get in the future.

2 minutes ago, sauce55 said:

I don't have to get a 980 i just wanted something that will work good with a VR headset that I will get in the future.

just wait for the 1070   it will steam roll for vr

when  are the 1070's going to be released?

8 minutes ago, sauce55 said:

Saying that makes it even more so that you should get the 1070.

The 1070/1080's biggest advancements over the 900 Series is supposedly their VR performance from everything I've heard.

I say supposedly because I'm not planning on VR anytime soon so I'm not sure how accurate that is, Nvidia is saying it's huge difference anyways.

Regardless, wait for the 1070 if you can, it's way better value for your money. 

It doesn't release until June 10th, and I'm unsure when you will be able to get one with a custom cooler.

It will likely consist of checking every single day to see if they're in stock, like I had to with my 970, but it's worth it not to pay more for a worse, outdated product.

For what's worth if you're impatient like myself, you can buy everything but the GPU and use your PC for basically everything except games until you can get the 1070.

I built my whole PC before I got my 970 since the 970 was never in stock and I just wanted everything ready for when it was. Could still browse the internet and do everything else, just using the CPU's iGPU in the meantime. Play 2D games and lesser demanding 3D games in the meantime.

13 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Saying that makes it even more so that you should get the 1070.

The 1070/1080's biggest advancements over the 900 Series is supposedly their VR performance from everything I've heard.

I say supposedly because I'm not planning on VR anytime soon so I'm not sure how accurate that is, Nvidia is saying it's huge difference anyways.

Regardless, wait for the 1070 if you can, it's way better value for your money. 

It doesn't release until June 10th, and I'm unsure when you will be able to get one with a custom cooler.

It will likely consist of checking every single day to see if they're in stock, like I had to with my 970, but it's worth it not to pay more for a worse, outdated product.

For what's worth if you're impatient like myself, you can buy everything but the GPU and use your PC for basically everything except games until you can get the 1070.

I built my whole PC before I got my 970 since the 970 was never in stock and I just wanted everything ready for when it was. Could still browse the internet and do everything else, just using the CPU's iGPU in the meantime. Play 2D games and lesser demanding 3D games in the meantime.

Thanks for  the info I think I will wait for the 1070. For now what parts  should I get while I wait for the 1070 keep in mind I only have a budget of $1000

11 minutes ago, sauce55 said:

Thanks for  the info I think I will wait for the 1070. For now what parts  should I get while I wait for the 1070 keep in mind I only have a budget of $1000

You should create your list on PCPartPicker

Jer45 posted a list in here which has improvements.

Definitely get an Intel i5 CPU. 4690k and 6600k are the best i5's you can buy.

Need at SSD at least for Windows.

Don't get a super cheap PSU, can get good things in the $75-$100 range, especially from EVGA.

I'd have some trouble making a list for under $1000 because I just don't like making compromises.

When I make a build on PCPartPicker that I'm comfortable with it more ends up around $1250 or a bit above.

If you wanna make a list or use Jer45's I can point out any red flags at least.

edit: also obviously Jer45's list with a 1070 instead of the 980.

12 minutes ago, Hunched said:

You should create your list on PCPartPicker

Jer45 posted a list in here which has improvements.

Definitely get an Intel i5 CPU. 4690k and 6600k are the best i5's you can buy.

Need at SSD at least for Windows.

Don't get a super cheap PSU, can get good things in the $75-$100 range, especially from EVGA.

I'd have some trouble making a list for under $1000 because I just don't like making compromises.

When I make a build on PCPartPicker that I'm comfortable with it more ends up around $1250 or a bit above.

If you wanna make a list or use Jer45's I can point out any red flags at least.

edit: also obviously Jer45's list with a 1070 instead of the 980.

What you recomend for about $1250 I have some time to save up until the 1070 comes out. 

27 minutes ago, sauce55 said:

What you recomend for about $1250 I have some time to save up until the 1070 comes out. 

Well I just decided I'd see what I could do for $1000 flat.

This has everything but the case, since that's up to you. Still, you won't be getting a good case for $40.

Good case is at least $70 imo.

I really think you should go for the best i5, so 4690k/6600k. So I got the 4690k, it's cheaper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qQhYcc

Then I got the cheapest motherboard that supports SLI for future decisions that I didn't think was trash, Z97 so you can overclock the 4690k.

Everything else, I chose bare minimum requirement from the filtering, and chose the cheapest thing that I would at the least called good.

Nothing is "meh" or "bad" in this list. Bare minimum, everything is at least good.

With $1250 I'd just end up choosing parts I'd prefer more, from brands I'd prefer more. Nothing too huge.

So instead of creating a whole other list, I'll just say what you should spend money on if you have another $250 or so.

1. If you really want to overclock the CPU, could spend more on the CPU Cooler. But 212 Evo will still get you pretty far.

2. Could get more RAM or higher clocked RAM if you want, but 8gb of 1600mhz DDR3 is sufficient.

3. Bigger SSD if you'd like.

4. EVGA G2 Series is a bit better than the EVGA GS Series.

Mainly, just get a GTX 1070 with a good cooler if you can, it will cost more than the base $380.

And get at better CPU cooler if you're going for 4.5ghz on the CPU.

Nothing else is really going to give you any more performance in games.

Make sure you get a case with good fans, or buy some case fans that are good, try to get a case with dust filters, all these things will keep your PC cooler = more performance.

For what it's worth, my part list is in my sig. It was mostly all bought and built late 2014 though, so there's likely some newer better things.

For the most part it's still pretty solid, if it helps. My case only comes with 1 fan, which I replaced anyway with all $20 NF-A14's.

My SSD is outdated since the Crucial MX200 exists now. My 970 is obviously outdated as of June 10th. 6600k is newer than 4690k.

All peripherals/extras are $0 to show the true price of the essentials

In my opinion the graphics card is to pricey for this build.  I would get a 970 or 380 and get a better Case,Power supply, & Storage.  But this is just what I would do and hope you find a a way to keep the 980. 

:)