AMD R2-290X no dvi-i to vga? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lhikary
Go to solution Solved by lhikary,

Get a active DP to VGA as they are readily available.

I'm a little confused. Why can't you use a DVI to VGA adapter? I think I missed something...

Probably because its DVI-D not DVI-I

Probably because its DVI-D not DVI-I

Oh I see.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

VGA, although is not necessary, but its better to have it,

these is to ease out trouble shooting, and i'm a system builder, i use vga only monitor to "TEST"  client's machine,

i'm not willing to buy another monitor for testing only 

I'm a little confused. Why can't you use a DVI to VGA adapter? I think I missed something...

Because it doesn't have the pins for it.

The one above is one that supports VGA and the one bellow is the one that doesn't. It has those 4 pins on the side of it.

dual-dvi.jpg

And a simple solution is to get a new monitor 24" IPS LED screen with DVI and HDMI on it :D.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

To be honest, who the f*ck would spend so much money on this kind of gpu and use VGA? WTF xD

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

To be honest, who the f*ck would spend so much money on this kind of gpu and use VGA? WTF xD

People like me who use a VGA monitor as a secondary monitor. But I can just get a new monitor anyway. I have the money and the need for HDMI.

But, I'm probably going with a 280x anyways. Don't really need a 290x.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

Im gonna be honest at 1080p on my monitor i cant tell the difference between vga and dvi yeah i know sue me.

Some monitors handle VGA better than others, I think it depends on the quality of analog to digital converter inside the monitor, for instance my friends monitor looks like shit with VGA, but he still uses it though : /.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Getting a 27inch 1440p monitor was a better upgrade over buying 680s in sli...

god someone tell me what i saw on linus video is not true

no dvi capable to vga ;_; I DIDNT PLAN FOR A NEW MONITOR UNTILL I BUY THE GPU FIRST

anyone can tell me a way arond it ? if theres no awy whatsoever and amd wont put a dvi-i port then im screwed :(((((((((((

or can i install the gpu and use the motherboard vga port?

Unless your motherboard supports LucidVirtu, allow the video to switch from using your discreet gpu to your apu.

The colours of my monitor, using a dvi cable is much richer (yes, may factor cabling quality), but testing other available vga cables, I find that vga sucks for graphical design, especially when your project involves a lot of rich colours.

AMD is making sense to remove analogue signal on a premium high-end card, plus I wouldn't mind seeing AMD removing all DVI and opt for more modern connectors like full-size HDMI and/or DP.

Anyone using VGA with a graphics card of this caliber is clearly doing it wrong.  

This is the reason why Governments around the world don't give out all the information to things that we, the normal people, deem to be outrageous. You have panicked for no reason, as many people have said and i will iterate, there are adapters you can get like.........http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-26957-Female-Adapter/dp/B00006HSM2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380288616&sr=8-4&keywords=dvi+to+vga so be calm.

EDIT:

The link may not work for you but this one will...........http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI2VGAE-1920x1200-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00C93JQXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380289922&sr=8-1&keywords=DVI-D+to+VGA+Active+Adapter

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Whoa, you guys now Monitor Nazis ?

Only because someone saved up enough money to buy this card doesn't mean he has enough of it to buy a new second monitor. 

Why should he switch out his VGA monitor for something more expensive when that thing is only for monitoring stuff by the side anyway,

as long as he is running a decent monitor as his main. Get of your high horses guys ! 

And why should he throw something, that works completely fine, away ? We produce enough waste anyways !

BTT:

Just wait for the board partners to release one with the possibility for VGA(very probably to happen) or buy an active Adapter.

I actually like my VGA-only monitor. It's 23" @ 2048x1152 and it looks pretty great.

It's not cutting edge, but I'd rather get a new high-end GPU(7950 successor) to replace my aging GTX460 768MB, than mid-range monitor that wouldn't be any better than the one I already have except it would be digital and a mid-range GPU that would struggle with BF4 on medium settings.

Must agree with most people here.

If u can spend 600$ on a GFCard then really just but a new monitor...

Ok i can see maybe one scenario where u would use VGA, that is when u have like a double or triple monitor setup and u want to use some old screens for that.

Like i stil have atm, but correct me if i'm wrong but won't u be able to use ure onboard MoBo GFCard to use the second old monitor ?

VGA, although is not necessary, but its better to have it,

these is to ease out trouble shooting, and i'm a system builder, i use vga only monitor to "TEST"  client's machine,

i'm not willing to buy another monitor for testing only 

Still have it though now its through DP instead of DVI.

Because it doesn't have the pins for it.

The one above is one that supports VGA and the one bellow is the one that doesn't. It has those 4 pins on the side of it.

dual-dvi.jpg

And a simple solution is to get a new monitor 24" IPS LED screen with DVI and HDMI on it :D.

Agreed as even the cheapest $100 1080p tn monitors have at least DVI now days.

Heck i have a old ass Dell 1024x768 LCD that has DVI

I actually like my VGA-only monitor. It's 23" @ 2048x1152 and it looks pretty great.

It's not cutting edge, but I'd rather get a new high-end GPU(7950 successor) to replace my aging GTX460 768MB, than mid-range monitor that wouldn't be any better than the one I already have except it would be digital and a mid-range GPU that would struggle with BF4 on medium settings.

You sure its VGA only? I only know of 2 monitors (at least in the US) that had that resolution and both had VGA + DVI.

You sure its VGA only? I only know of 2 monitors (at least in the US) that had that resolution and both had VGA + DVI.

Yes, I'm sure. It is possible that it's a european model, it actually has a sticker that says DVI right next to the VGA port, but there is no port. I even tried to disassemble it to see if I can soldier on a connector...

I have 2 mini displayport to VGA adapters, only cost me like $25 each. I still love my vga monitors, I'd rather have 3x VGA monitors than a 16:9 monitor any day.

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

I need the VGA so I need nvidia :P

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

Nvidia is to to do the same thing on their next set of GPUs. There's already plans to drop DVI in favor of native DisplayPort by 2015, so there should be no reason to whine about the lack of VGA interoperability on a top dollar GPU.

I have a samsung 21" monitor with hdmi and vga. Honestly i cant tell the difference between the two so i have it hooked up to my gtx660 with vga and hdmi to my xbox. Flame away monitor nazis.

I was just happy to see this

Death to VGA!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone uses VGA he does not care about new graphics cards at all. 

lol what

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

ONLY REASON I CAN SPEND $600 ON A GPU IS BECAUSE I WORKED 3 MONTHS TO GATHER THE BLOODY MONEY

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.