Passive cooling or water cooling?

So I am looking in upgrading my PC in a few months. I am looking into what type of cooling I should look into. I want a really quiet system, so CPU air cooling is pretty much out of the equation, and I've heard that pump noise might also be a problem with watercooling.

if you want quiet watercooling, an AIO solution is not your best bet.

What parts you gonna use? 

I'd say AIO is louder than air in most cases.

Why is air cooling not an option? It's quieter than water cooling could ever be. 

Would you be cooling the entire system passively?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Air cooling is more quiet than AIO as you're only having to deal with the fan noise :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why is air cooling not an option? It's quieter than water cooling could ever be. 

Would you be cooling the entire system passively?

Nope. I'm only looking to cool the cpu passively, and just get a quiet GPU.

Just now, RADEON_GUY said:

Nope. I'm only looking to cool the cpu passively, and just get a quiet GPU.

The system is only as quiet as the loudest component. If you're actively cooling the gpu, psu, or any other component and/or using hdd's, you might as well do the same with your cpu. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The system is only as quiet as the loudest component. If you're actively cooling the gpu, psu, or any other component and/or using hdd's, you might as well do the same with your cpu. 

HDD? Probably gonna use SSDs only. I am also going to get a gpu, like the strix, and make a custom fan curve to enable the fan at ~70C. Probably going to do the same for the PSU. I also had the insane idea to get a massive CPU heatsink and put it on a GPU. 

6 minutes ago, RADEON_GUY said:

HDD? Probably gonna use SSDs only. I am also going to get a gpu, like the strix, and make a custom fan curve to enable the fan at ~70C. Probably going to do the same for the PSU. I also had the insane idea to get a massive CPU heatsink and put it on a GPU. 

That's not that crazy of an idea. You can do the same thing with the fans on the cpu and enable the fan at higher temps. 

3 minutes ago, RADEON_GUY said:

I don't see why you're so opposed to air cooling...honestly, air cooler with a quiet fan would be your best bet. AIO water cooling will have the pump and fan making noise, at first it'll be really quiet but if you ever decide to over clock or something the pump will get louder. 

I personally like the sound of water cooling pump, dunno why, but you want a super quiet build again, water cooling isn't smart.

As long as you're not planning to overclock, which would seem likely since you are considering passive cooling, there are lots of CPU coolers that are very quiet.

A smaller cooler such as the CM Hyper T3/101/103, etc would be very quiet except maybe in heavy use situations. (Much, much quieter than a stock cooler from Intel or AMD.)
You'd never hear a basic CM Hyper 212 even when the system is going full blast (stock clock).

Of course, much of this depends upon what sort of system you are planning. what sort of processor, what size case, etc.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD