"Scientists create 'light saber' material with photon-binding technique"

TopWargamer

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4773354/scientists-create-light-saber-material-with-photon-binding-technique

Photons are usually thought of as ephemeral, massless particles that rarely interact with each other, but a recent discovery by Harvard and MIT professors may force physicists to rethink that assumption. By pumping atoms into a supercooled vacuum chamber, the project created a non-linear quantum medium in which photons will actually bind to each other, creating a new form of photon-based matter that, as it happens, looks an awful lot like the business end of a light saber.

"It's not an in-apt analogy to compare this to light sabers," Harvard physicist Mikhail Lukin told Phys.org. "When these photons interact with each other, they're pushing against and deflecting each other. The physics of what's happening in these molecules is similar to what we see in the movies."

The most immediate applications of the discovery will come not in combat, but in quantum computing, where the new form of light-matter could be used to build more intricate chains of interaction. Light is crucial for the mechanics of quantum computing, but physicists have always been limited by photons' ephemeral nature. With this new medium, in which photons aggressively interact with each other, scientists hope to enable more complex logical circuits that are more analogous to those found in conventional computers.

So awesome. I'm glad that this is coming to quantum computers, which should benefit it, but somebody somewhere just has to make a real life, working lightsaber out of this. 

COMIC SANS

More things which have the potential to be used as a lethal weapon.

Just what humanity needs....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Bind...photons...together?

Well, that's everything I learned in A-Level Physics out the window -.-

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

More things which have the potential to be used as a lethal weapon.

Just what humanity needs....

Yes we do! If it works the same as a lightsaber then imagine how much faster we can be! Cutting a tree down will be a piece of cake! Cutting a door off a car/door hinges to save a life is a huge plus.

Anything can be used as a weapon, have you seen Riddick use that tea cup?

Yes we do! If it works the same as a lightsaber then imagine how much faster we can be! Cutting a tree down will be a piece of cake! Cutting a door off a car/door hinges to save a life is a huge plus.

Cutting tree's down is....good?

Cutting of a door to save someones life? guessing from fire or something? why not tackle the cause so it doesn't happen, instead of dealing with the situation later....

Also not everyone is Vin Diesel !

We already have lasers that can do the things you suggested....

We past the point long ago of weapons research being beneficial for the future of humanity.

I fully expect the world to get blown up by nukes or some other weapon within 100 years.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Exactly, lasers are the perfect example.

A precision surgical instrument that has helped save thousands of lives, one of the most useful pieces of equipment in a physics lab or used to intercept aircraft/missiles and burn holes in the side of ships.

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

May the force be with you!

unquote.png

Exactly, lasers are the perfect example.

A precision surgical instrument that has helped save thousands of lives, one of the most useful pieces of equipment in a physics lab or used to intercept aircraft/missiles and burn holes in the side of ships.

Yes! So many situations! It's perfect!

Cutting tree's down is....good?

Cutting of a door to save someones life? guessing from fire or something? why not tackle the cause so it doesn't happen, instead of dealing with the situation later....

Also not everyone is Vin Diesel !

We past the point long ago of weapons research being beneficial for the future of humanity.

Well we need wood don't we? Well unless your house is made of bricks and cement. I like to trim my trees, and if I need to cut some metal for some case modding, then why would I use a dremel?

Sure, it can be used for evil purposes, but so can everything else!

Weapons research not being beneficial for the future? Uh, I don't know about you but I'd like a laser pistol somewhere down the line!

People will always be in car accidents. The cutting equipment used to remove the roof from a car is painfully slow. Getting people out of the vehicle ASAP is the key to getting them to hospital quicker and preserving life and limb. It's called the "Golden Hour" for a reason ;)

People will always be in car accidents. The cutting equipment used to remove the roof from a car is painfully slow. Getting people out of the vehicle ASAP is the key to getting them to hospital quicker and preserving life and limb. It's called the "Golden Hour" for a reason ;)

Or you could you know....use automated car's/transport.

Which will be here eventually.

Until then, make people take driving tests every year and have no faults on tests.

Also don't allow old/young people on roads without going through rigorous driving tests.

and push the safety factors into peoples heads

Or you could you know....use automated car's/transport.

Which will be here eventually.

Until then, make people take driving tests every year and have no faults on tests.

We don't know that they will ever be crash-proof. Until then, thousands die on the roads around the world every day and if this can help save even one life it'd be worth it.

This isn't the only application, either. Think of the industrial uses! 

Right, a lot of benefits like saving lifes and cutting trees easily, although if you can cut through a metal door easily, you can also cut through a bank vault easily, you can also cut through someone's house door easily to get in, and so forth. It's funny that people say that everything can be used as a weapon. It's true, but I don't see people making a hole in a car door with a cup of tea or a pen. :P

oooh epic im going to bring one to mars 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

We don't know that they will ever be crash-proof. Until then, thousands die on the roads around the world every day and if this can help save even one life it'd be worth it.

This isn't the only application, either. Think of the industrial uses! 

People die because of there own stupidity or someone elses.

Until you eliminate the human factor (face it, we are a pretty stupid species) people will die all the time for various different reasons.

Although...skynet

but I don't see people making a hole in a car door with a cup of tea or a pen. :P

Vin diesel can

Right, a lot of benefits like saving lifes and cutting trees easily, although if you can cut through a metal door easily, you can also cut through a bank vault easily, you can also cut through someone's house door easily to get in, and so forth. It's funny that people say that everything can be used as a weapon. It's true, but I don't see people making a hole in a car door with a cup of tea or a pen. :P

Well where do you live? I bet I can use a pen to make a hole in your door, albeit a tiny hole...

Why can't you guys let us have our fun? :(

People die because of there own stupidity or someone elses.

No offence, but that's a very childish thing to say. My uncle was killed by a drunk driver crashing into him when he was parked by the side of the road. I'd like to think that if this could've saved him then it'd be worth it.

And people can make innocent mistakes without deserving to die. In the UK, 1/2 of all males ages 17-20 will write off a car in their first year of driving. Yes, it is their own fault. Yes, it is annoying that they drive my premiums up. Do I think they deserve to die? Of course not. 

No offence, but that's a very childish thing to say. My uncle was killed by a drink driver crashing into him when he was parked by the side of the road. I'd like to think that if this could've saved him then it'd be worth it.

And people can make innocent mistakes without deserving to die. In the UK, 1/2 of all males ages 17-20 will write off a car in their first year of driving. Yes, it is their own fault. Yes, it is annoying that they drive my premiums up. Do I think they deserve to die? Of course not. 

Ofc.

But the fact still stands, there or someone elses stupidity caused it.

Your uncle? a stupid idiot who decided to get drunk and go driving caused it (offtopic, alchohol needs to go away, so does smoking and anything that effects your state of mind but no....it makes too much money)

1/2 of males aged 17-20? cocky little brats who think they are the best of the best and have not gone through enough tests to be worthy of being allowed to operate a vehicle that can easily kill someone, much like pretty much everyone else on the road.

I'm 22, had a car for 5 years, no accidents, no nothing.

This is all well, but humans have a tendency to use everything they can as a weapon 1st, all else 2nd. The only reason we can't use lasers today in warfare as weapons is the fact that they are banned by international agreements, and that is great, there are other things banned as well, but since we are on this subject, this one is appropriate.

So i don't believe this will be of a good use for anyone since funding for stuff like this is never out of someone with a big heart, or a humanist, but from the kind of person that would sell his mother because it's business!

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Ofc.

But the fact still stands, there or someone elses stupidity caused it.

Your uncle? a stupid idiot who decided to get drunk and go driving (offtopic, alchohol needs to go away, so does smoking and anything that effects your state of mind)

1/2 of males aged 17-20? cocky little brats who think they are the best of the best

I'm 22, had a car for 5 years, no accidents, no nothing.

My uncle was parked by the side of the road. You need to read posts properly. Do you think if someone drink drives they deserve to die? Let's be serious here.

Yes, they are stupid and cocky. I've also been driving without incident since I was 17. Does a bit of stupid driving mean someone should die? OR just that they should get points, a ban or (at worst) prison time? 

My uncle was parked by the side of the road. You need to read posts properly. Do you think if someone drink drives they deserve to die? Let's be serious here.

Yes, they are stupid and cocky. I've also been driving without incident since I was 17. Does a bit of stupid driving mean someone should die? OR just that they should get points, a ban or (at worst) prison time? 

I didn't say your uncle was the one drunk and driving.

Anyone who willingly puts others at risk without taking appropriate persuasions should be put into prison, although the prisons are pretty full these days because humanity is horrible species, so you should get one warning for drink driving (assuming you don't kill someone or cause harm to someone) and after that if it happens again then a permanent solution should be brought back to get rid of the filth.

Causing harm/death of someone else should be punishable by...well you know.

Opinion, but I'm rather dark....I have no hope for humanity what so ever.

I expect the world to end one way or another within 100 years.

yey more of the photon magic

I didn't say your uncle was the one drunk and driving.

"Your uncle? a stupid idiot who decided to get drunk and go driving".

Don't lie. I should've just blocked you sooner, my bad. 

"Your uncle? a stupid idiot who decided to get drunk and go driving".

Don't lie. I should've just blocked you sooner, my bad. 

I wasn't referring to your uncle....

"But the fact still stands, there or someone else s stupidity caused it.

Your uncle? a stupid idiot who decided to get drunk and go driving"

As in Your uncle? *insert example of someone else*

Maybe a poor choice of wording....but it can be looked at both ways.

I apologize for being misinterpreted.