What Kind of Geek Are You

What Would You Consider Yourself  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What would you consider yourself

• A complete tech geek
    • A software geek
    • A hardware geek
    • A person who has surpassed all forms of geek and has taken on a new tech sentient form somewhere in tech universe
    • A person who knows little about computers but still loves tech geek
    • A turnip that has grown arms and legs and has somehow found a computer and clicked this button

6 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I'm actually upgrading my server to dual 6 core processors, so I'll have 12 cores and 24 threads.

I still live at home, I'm a 17 year old high school junior. You can do plenty of stuff even if you're not allowed to "mess with the router" port forwarding which you may want to do for certain applications is super easy and shouldn't even be noticeable by you parents unless they're looking for it.

I can't even get into the router at my house its locked in my fathers office

3 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

I can't even get into the router at my house its locked in my fathers office

TIME TO USE KALI LINUX BOIIIIIIIIIIIII, brute force your way in and try to get the password.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

7 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I currently have two X5550's, but I'm upgrading to two L5640's which have more cores, and a lower TDP meaning they'll be lighter on the power bill as well as easier to cool. They have a slightly lower clock speed but that doesn't bother me.

My little HTPC/Media Server has a 2.05ghz 25 watt quad core AMD Athlon 5350 in it and runs at 30degrees celcius while in the bios and thats with the cheapest crappiest thermalpaste I can find and the stock cooler if I probably had better thermal paste it would probably be at room temparature

12 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I currently have two X5550's, but I'm upgrading to two L5640's which have more cores, and a lower TDP meaning they'll be lighter on the power bill as well as easier to cool. They have a slightly lower clock speed but that doesn't bother me.

My HTPC/ Media Server

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Wikiforce said:

software geek, i keep fucking around with registry hacks and windows tweaking for best optimization and performance in games.

If I played arround soth that I would probably bork my windows install

10 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

My HTPC/ Media Server

-snip-

Nice! I've got a full 4U server chassis with another 4U chassis coming in this week :D

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Why is there no option for me?

I'm a turnip that has grown arms and legs and has somehow surpassed all forms of geek and has taken on a new tech sentient form somewhere in tech universe

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

48 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Nice! I've got a full 4U server chassis with another 4U chassis coming in this week :D

Mine is just a ITX chassis because I don't have any room for a rack server my HTPC/Media Server has a AMD 5350 25 watt 2.05ghz quad core APU 4gb of ram, 1tb hdd and a 250watt TFX Solif Gear PSU I also use a WiFi card in it for the internet but it's so close to the router (which is in a room close by I have no trouble streaming 1080p video to my phone from it)

11 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Mine is just a ITX chassis because I don't have any room for a rack server my HTPC/Media Server has a AMD 5350 25 watt 2.05ghz quad core APU 4gb of ram, 1tb hdd and a 250watt TFX Solif Gear PSU I also use a WiFi card in it for the internet but it's so close to the router (which is in a room close by I have no trouble streaming 1080p video to my phone from it

I've got the dual Xeon X5550's (four cores eight threads each), 3TB's of Mass storage with a 250GB boot drive, a 600W 80+ bronze PSU, and quad ethernet ports teamed for potentially 4GB/s throughput.

20 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I've got the dual Xeon X5550's (four cores eight threads each), 3TB's of Mass storage with a 250GB boot drive, a 600W 80+ bronze PSU, and quad ethernet ports teamed for potentially 4GB/s throughput.

wow the most I get is about 150mb/s out of mine and its enough to stream 1080p from it and I only have a single 1tb hdd becuase I'm using a ITX case I can put in a second HDD in there if I put my 5.25 inch hotswap bay in it and can probably squish in a 2.5 inch ssd or hdd under the 3.5 inch hard drive with some double sided tape but I need my 5.25 inch bay drive in that computer so I can put dvds in it to watch movies because it doubles as my HTPC 

what kind of pokemon are you, how do you do the things you do...

That's what kind of geek I am! o.O Or is that nerd...all this wannabe hipsters these days confuse me so idk what to believe anymore! :'( 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

3 hours ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

wow the most I get is about 150mb/s out of mine and its enough to stream 1080p from it and I only have a single 1tb hdd becuase I'm using a ITX case I can put in a second HDD in there if I put my 5.25 inch hotswap bay in it and can probably squish in a 2.5 inch ssd or hdd under the 3.5 inch hard drive with some double sided tape but I need my 5.25 inch bay drive in that computer so I can put dvds in it to watch movies because it doubles as my HTPC 

I'm looking to upgrade to 4x 4TB HDD's in the near future. My chassis has space for 8 drives, plus 3 5.25" drives so I'm going to get an SSD for the OS + an adapter to mount it in one of those bays, then I'll throw in a hotswap tray + a optical drive for handbrake.

I know absolutely dick about software, where as hardware makes me feel funny in the underwear department!  

23 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I'm looking to upgrade to 4x 4TB HDD's in the near future. My chassis has space for 8 drives, plus 3 5.25" drives so I'm going to get an SSD for the OS + an adapter to mount it in one of those bays, then I'll throw in a hotswap tray + a optical drive for handbrake.

Yah I'm definitely not going to need that much storage and that many drives for me (when I get around to building a proper one) a 3tb raid 1 server with 2 3tb hdds would be plenty

6 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Yah I'm definitely not going to need that much storage and that many drives for me (when I get around to building a proper one) a 3tb raid 1 server with 2 3tb hdds would be plenty

Yeah, I'm working on digitizing thousands of family photos at really high resolutions, as well as all of our ~500 movies and its taking up a LOT of space.

This sounds like the start to a Buzzfeed article.

i7-6700K 4.0 Skylake, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Colling Fan/Heatsink, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM, GTX 980 Ti VR Edition, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case

5 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

This sounds like the start to a Buzzfeed article.

"Take our Quiz: What kind of tech geek are you?"

"7 signs you're a tech geek - #5 will shock you!"

"8 things only tech geeks can understand"

"9 signs your spouse is a tech geek"

"Starving artist paints pictures of Disney princesses as tech geeks"

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.