What Kind of Geek Are You

What Would You Consider Yourself  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What would you consider yourself

• A complete tech geek
    • A software geek
    • A hardware geek
    • A person who has surpassed all forms of geek and has taken on a new tech sentient form somewhere in tech universe
    • A person who knows little about computers but still loves tech geek
    • A turnip that has grown arms and legs and has somehow found a computer and clicked this button

you should put audio :P but for now I put hardware

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

2 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

hold on it glitched out again I have to edit it

6 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

4 minutes ago, jeonjaeng said:

Wont let me select more than one?

Fixed it now I just have to add the second poll that should be there

I'm a software nerd, I like programming and programs and trying out different stuff and looking up different driver stuff and compression and all that stuff.

Of course software covers games too and yeah I would say I'm a nerd in that too (game modding and stuff), but also a huge nerd for programs (mainly image manipulation/digital art programs lately)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ah damn, I can only pick two. I'm kind of an all-around geek, I like building computers, I like tearing laptops apart, I like Linux,  I like programming, I like mech keyboards, I like audio... yeah I'm a goddamn nerd.

EDIT: Lol I like the new poll better. How'd you know I was a sentient turnip?

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

3 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Ah damn, I can only pick two. I'm kind of an all-around geek, I like building computers, I like tearing laptops apart, I like Linux,  I like programming, I like mech keyboards, I like audio... yeah I'm a goddamn nerd.

then that would go under complete geek

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

then that would go under complete geek

I was typing that before you revised it. I revoted :P

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

2 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

I was typing that before you revised it. I revoted :P

ok I'll just remake the second poll in a different post to prevent it from glitching out again

ok I'll just remake the second poll in a different post to prevent it from glitching out again

yea, this poll is flipping out big time for me

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

No I think it's fine now. I don't think you need to do that

4 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

yea, this poll is flipping out big time for me

I'm going to leave this poll alone for now because I got it to work and I don't want to create another post that is going to be borked too

I'm a complete geek, the best and worst kind (I spend a lot of money on geek stuff but at least I make a lot of money off geek stuff). :(

-KuJoe

Once you get into servers regular desktops seem boring. For example I have a dual Xeon server with 32GB's of DDR3 ECC RAM and that's WAYYYY more dope than a regular desktop.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

there comes white stuff out of my pee pee when i touch expensive new tech :) hahaha

PC || CPU - I5 3570K @4.5ghz|| Motherboard - Asrock Z77 extreme 4 || CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 || RAM - 1x8GB Vengeance Blue - XPG Adata 2x4GB's (16GB) || Graphics card - EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 2.0 SLI || Storage- SEAGATE FIRECUDA 1TB ||PSU- Corsair AX750 watt gold rated|| Case- NZXT 340 WHITE

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Once you get into servers regular desktops seem boring. For example I have a dual Xeon server with 32GB's of DDR3 ECC RAM and that's WAYYYY more dope than a regular desktop.

very true, I feel like servers are the dreamland of hardware (who needs a plebby i7 when you can have 22 core xeons??)

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Yah I tried to get into servers but since I live at home with my parents still its kinda hard to do networking when your father says you can't touch their router so I'm going to have to wait until I rent a apartment

4 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

very true, I feel like servers are the dreamland of hardware (who needs a plebby i7 when you can have 22 core xeons??)

I'm actually upgrading my server to dual 6 core processors, so I'll have 12 cores and 24 threads.

4 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Yah I tried to get into servers but since I live at home with my parents still its kinda hard to do networking when your father says you can't touch their router so I'm going to have to wait until I rent a apartment

I still live at home, I'm a 17 year old high school junior. You can do plenty of stuff even if you're not allowed to "mess with the router" port forwarding which you may want to do for certain applications is super easy and shouldn't even be noticeable by you parents unless they're looking for it.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I'm actually upgrading my server to dual 6 core processors, so I'll have 12 cores and 24 threads.

I still live at home, I'm a 17 year old high school junior. You can do plenty of stuff even if you're not allowed to "mess with the router" port forwarding which you may want to do for certain applications is super easy and shouldn't even be noticeable by you parents unless they're looking for it.

Nice, which xeons? my build featured 2x 6 core X5680s are the beginning of the year :P 

3 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Nice, which xeons? my build featured 2x 6 core X5680s are the beginning of the year :P 

I currently have two X5550's, but I'm upgrading to two L5640's which have more cores, and a lower TDP meaning they'll be lighter on the power bill as well as easier to cool. They have a slightly lower clock speed but that doesn't bother me.

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I currently have two X5550's, but I'm upgrading to two L5640's which have more cores, and a lower TDP meaning they'll be lighter on the power bill as well as easier to cool. They have a slightly lower clock speed but that doesn't bother me.

Nice! I can feel you on the cooling part, that's why I sold them in the first place :P that gen of chips can get toasty!!

3 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Nice! I can feel you on the cooling part, that's why I sold them in the first place :P that gen of chips can get toasty!!

My X5550's are pretty decent, with 1U coolers on both the stay at 40c under idle and only get to 60c under a full load.