MSI Dominator: 7 Months Later

I bought my MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G-220 in October 2015. Overall it's fantastic. There are plenty of reviews that sing MSI's praises for this product, but this is about the BS I've encountered in the last 7 months:

Backlight bleed. Black screens look terrible. During my un-boxing, it almost killed my excitement. Almost.

*Cracking it open voids the warranty. I want a SATA SSD for storage for editing high-res video, but, as you'll see below, the warranty is a must.

On day 3 of a video shoot, it couldn't access the SSD, the drive with my OS. It booted straight to the BIOS, where essentially told me there was no SSD, and only recognized my HDD for storage. I closed it and left it unplugged. 15 hours later, it was fine, so I guess it was just overcharged since we left it plugged in all night. Still, that's something I shouldn't have to deal with, especially with that kind of price tag. We ended up using my brother's 2012 Dell Inspiron to transfer RED footage (4.6K resolution), a truly horrendous experience. Anyway, that was the first and last time that ever happened, but it still pisses me off, especially since I'd only had the thing for about a month and a half.

Just a couple of weeks ago, 3 keys on the SteelSeries keyboard stopped working: Space bar, F, and G (I don't know when exactly they stopped working beause I mostly use an external keyboard). Without a keyboard, this is just an overpriced Desktop. I reported this online and almost immediately got an email from MSI with an RMA package and info. Nice quick response, but I still had to pay $40 (US) to ship it, even though it's still under warranty! I'm supposed to get it back just barely in time for summer classes, but there's a chance I won't get it back until over a week into classes. The latter is worst-case scenario and unlikely, but this is still way too close for comfort, especially for a Software Development student.

No real question here, just reporting. Let me know if you've also had bad luck with MSI.

*added 4:55pm 5/21/16

Edited by Bootskii
Add content

5 minutes ago, Bootskii said:

Let me know if you've also had bad luck with MSI.

MSI is a good company, but i'd reccomend you build your own computer for your needs (4.5k video)

I dislike MSI support very much

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

14 minutes ago, Bootskii said:

sometimes you just have bad luck with stuff like this.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

16 minutes ago, josephaltareb said:

MSI is a good company, but i'd reccomend you build your own computer for your needs (4.5k video)

They're a great company, and it's superb when handling the footage. I know a tower would be better, but I need the mobility. That's why I didn't build a tower, as much as I wanted (and still want) to.