Trying to lock my little sister out of home network

nj4ck

Reset the router. Manually reconfigure a new password. Manually connect other devices around the house except your sisters.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Just now, Wed15septoid2 said:

You could just disable wifi and run your pc off lan.

An excellent solution, because the rest of the family don't have devices with WiFi....

8 minutes ago, nj4ck said:

ZyXel 6641

page 55

http://www.zyxel.de/uploads/images/sphairon/Handbuch_o2_HomeBox_6641_v16.pdf

i assume you're from germany?

(i had german for 2 years so i kind of know what it says but not entirely)

just look up her MAC adress (should be under DHCP or something) and block it :)

Sign up for OpenDNS, then go in to the router, DHCP settings, and change the DNS it hands out to the OpenDNS servers. Now go to OpenDNS and watch the history, once you see some of the familiar messaging servers (facebook / AIM / whatever) just block them.

Now it'll just look like her App doesn't work ;-)

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

An excellent solution, because the rest of the family don't have devices with WiFi....

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You could tether them to your phone with a data connection.

2 minutes ago, Wed15septoid2 said:

You could tether them to your phone with a data connection.

That's so stupid...it would be sooooo expensive if he was to tether his phone data :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

heres another way...

buy like a REALLY shitty router thingy... like... a kingston G2 Mobilelite.  Its actually handy to have, and may help your problem.  Any other shit router will do, or decent one, just remove all antena's.

Change the name, and password to be exactly like the original one now, if its an iphone, i think it'll auto connect, if not.. help her fix it, or she might figure it out herself.

But due to the crappy network of this 2nd router you have, she'll have wifi, but it'll be crap.  U can plug it in, unplug instantly.  Hide it, (it can connect to your current wifi, and broadcast a wifi at the same time, at least the mobilelite does).  

its not a fix to the problem, but if you can manage to hide the 2nd router somewhere where it gives her room shitty internet, or whereever she stations herself mostly at, then ya.  If she moves around, and finds the good wifi, move it around again. xD

20 minutes ago, nj4ck said:

She's 10. If she can't access the network for unknown reasons we tell her there's something wrong with her phone, she's bummed, end of story. If I change the password, she'll realize someone changed the password and we'll all be in hell until someone gives her the new one. 

If you lie to her and tell her that her phone cant connect to wifi for some reason, then she's either going to just use mobile data, or she's going to throw a fit until she gets a new phone that isn't broken. It sounds like she's just spoiled and a brat, and that you mom (and dad? idk) just need to actually do their job as parents and tell her no. It's really not that hard. Life isn't fair. The days aren't filled will butterflies and unicorns shitting out rainbow sherbet. It sounds like that, until she can learn how to self-regulate her use of the internet, restrictions are going to have to be placed on her access. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's so stupid...it would be sooooo expensive if he was to tether his phone data :P 

Not for those of us with unlimited data. My washing machine suggestion still stands.....

Just now, Wed15septoid2 said:

Not for those of us with unlimited data. My washing machine suggestion still stands.....

...well in the UK people with unlimited data is either not allowed to tether or is limited to a specific amount :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Sign up for OpenDNS, then go in to the router, DHCP settings, and change the DNS it hands out to the OpenDNS servers. Now go to OpenDNS and watch the history, once you see some of the familiar messaging servers (facebook / AIM / whatever) just block them.

Now it'll just look like her App doesn't work ;-)

Also, @nj4ck how is the weather in mount Everest?

10 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

If she is off the home internet surely if the "addition" is really she will just use mobile data?

Nah, she's got prepaid mobile data, which my mom controls

1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

Also, @nj4ck how is the weather in mount Everest?

Cold.

3 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

If you lie to her and tell her that her phone cant connect to wifi for some reason, then she's either going to just use mobile data, or she's going to throw a fit until she gets a new phone that isn't broken. It sounds like she's just spoiled and a brat, and that you mom (and dad? idk) just need to actually do their job as parents and tell her no. It's really not that hard. Life isn't fair. The days are filled will butterflies and unicorns shitting out rainbow sherbet. It sounds like that, until she can learn how to self-regulate her use of the internet, restrictions are going to have to be placed on her access. 

Can I just say that this is absolutely the best solution?

Trying to be sneaky about it will just hurt her when she eventually finds out. It's better to teach her that she can't have what she wants unless she works for it.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

If you lie to her and tell her that her phone cant connect to wifi for some reason, then she's either going to just use mobile data, or she's going to throw a fit until she gets a new phone that isn't broken. It sounds like she's just spoiled and a brat, and that you mom (and dad? idk) just need to actually do their job as parents and tell her no. It's really not that hard. Life isn't fair. The days are filled will butterflies and unicorns shitting out rainbow sherbet. It sounds like that, until she can learn how to self-regulate her use of the internet, restrictions are going to have to be placed on her access. 

Believe me, I know my sister... and no offence, but I'll let you know when we're in need of parenting advice. 

She'll begrudgingly accept it and move on. It's not the lack of internet that actually bothers her (she's got a shitton of hobbies and gets distracted easily), it's the fact that my mom would be taking away her access that would cause chaos. She also doesn't have mobile data.

5 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

if you give a kid mobile data at the age of 10 you're out of your mind, that's asking for it.

Just now, nj4ck said:

Believe me, I know my sister... and no offence, but I'll let you know when we're in need of parenting advice. 

She'll begrudgingly accept it and move on. It's not the lack of internet that actually bothers her (she's got a shitton of hobbies and gets distracted easily), it's the fact that my mom would be taking away her access that would cause chaos. She also doesn't have mobile data.

but can you try my solution?

2 minutes ago, nj4ck said:

honestly, i think everyone on this forum here would go ballistic if you take away our internet, =_=... 

4 minutes ago, mikat said:

but can you try my solution?

I kind of did, there's no blacklist option so I simply whitelisted everything on the network except her phone. Seems to be working, thanks!

2 minutes ago, never_here said:

honestly, i think everyone on this forum here would go ballistic if you take away our internet, =_=... 

Yeah well, not everyone on this forum is a 10 year old girl with a lot of homework left to do :P

2 minutes ago, never_here said:

Actually if I had no internet I would just go back to tweaking voltages. :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, mikat said:

but some people are 15 years old and have some homework to do lol *hint hint*

Those 5 years make quite a difference, don't they ;)