Pilotless F-16 jets flying

Empty F-16 jets are being tested by Boeing and US Air Force.

What are your thoughts about this? Would you be worried if a pilotless jet was flying over your house? Is this the future for us, where we will eventually have no pilots flying planes from within cabins?

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24231077

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II OC | SSD128GB Samsung 840 Evo  | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 | Monitor: 2x LG 22EA53VQ IPS 

really the only thing pilots do is land,takeoff and quick judgment calls.

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Automated warfare, kinda scary now that I think about it. 

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

really the only thing pilots do is land,takeoff and quick judgment calls.

Carrier pilots don't even take off.. 

Carrier pilots don't even take off.. 

landing on a carrier is a bit nerve wrecking though

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

lol, every day i see and hear the noise of jets flying over my house

there is an air force military base 5km from my house

where we will eventually have no pilots flying planes from within cabins

no Pilot means that a plane can't fly and WILL not fly. you will never see Humanless planes. and the plane Can't "Fly itself" the pilot has to tell the Autopilot what to do on commercial planes, Yes the Autopilot can land the plane but the Pilot has to give in the Frequency, Course and so on for it to work. and if the AP fails what then? the plane will Crash thats one of the reason why there are pilots. Computers Help the Pilot and don't fly the plane by itself

They're turning it into a target drone, not a fully functional war machine.They've been turning their old, useless things into target drones since the late 50's early 60's. This really isn't a big deal, and it wouldn't be if people didn't have some irrational fear of drones, even though they're just like giant RC toys.

My dad used to be an F-16 pilot for the Air National Guard. He said they take the old, no longer used F-16s and turn them into drones for target practice and training other pilots.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

They're turning it into a target drone, not a fully functional war machine.They've been turning their old, useless things into target drones since the late 50's early 60's. This really isn't a big deal, and it wouldn't be if people didn't have some irrational fear of drones, even though they're just like giant RC toys.

Giant RC toys with weapons attached to them that can kill anybody with the press of a button.

Giant RC toys with weapons attached to them that can kill anybody with the press of a button.

Most drones aren't armed when they're up in the air, they're meant purely for surveillance, you just hear about the ones that are armed because of the boom that they make makes the media go crazy. Also, the amount hoops you have to go through to even get the go to for a strike on anyone is pretty large. It's easier for me to be told by an actual pilot and my CO to drop rounds on a guy digging an IED than it is for the button to be pressed to target and take out hostiles firing upon our own soldiers. And like I said, this F-16 is merely a target drone, which has been done for far longer than the internet as we know it has been around. 

Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAVs) are quite common, for surveillance and reconnaissance like the Global Hawk, as well as combat capable drones like the Predator. This unmanned F-16 is probably turned into target drones.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

i think its an improvement now you dont have to put men in those jets so if they get taken down no one dies :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

i think its an improvement now you dont have to put men in those jets so if they get taken down no one dies :D

YAY, unmanned warfare so eventually terminator can happen :D

YAY, unmanned warfare so eventually terminator can happen :D

that would be EPIC :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Empty F-16 jets are being tested by Boeing and US Air Force.

What are your thoughts about this? Would you be worried if a pilotless jet was flying over your house? Is this the future for us, where we will eventually have no pilots flying planes from within cabins?

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24231077

I think this is pretty cool.

You could have a pilot remotely controlling the plane using an ... Oculus Rift.

Lololol, I'm already gone if you're searching for me.

Pilot.exe has stopped working...

Or even worse. if the person controlling it is just flying along and the display drivers fail...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Es a target drone senor, it take the bullet, not give.

Coming from my Aerospace Engineering background ...

It'll never be practical. No mathematical/computer model of a pilot is perfect, and will never replace the instincts and intuition of a real pilot. It sounds great in theory. The only time a computer simulated pilot is used is in conjunction with a flight simulator or a mathematical model of a flight simulator to get an idea of the handling of an aircraft. Actual flight testing is still only done with real pilots. 

For Pilotless flight to be possible, the program would need to be able to learn like a human and adapt. That has SkyNet written all over it. Humans have the ability to sift through multiple inputs and immediately come up with multiple actions accordingly, and choose the best action given the situation. The same approach using a computer program/programmable controller (also called a Multi Input Multi Output controller) is very complex. By contrast, Single input Single output (or SISO) is a lot simpler, which is usually what mathematical models of pilots restrict themselves to (easier computation). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2