980ti SLI vs 1080gtx

danielhowk

Hi, im currently using a MSI lightning 980ti, and i just recently bought a Acer XB271HU. and the best sweet spot to set it is 144hz (normal) without ghosting and pixel response time. Is my first time using a gsync monitor, so from what ive read about gsync, if my fps is about 110fps it doesnt feel as good as the actual 144fps (if my monitor is set at 144hz too)
my current graphic card is only about 90-100fps in games like overwatch. is it better for me to get another 980ti to make it SLI, or just buy a single GTX1080. will 980ti sli>1080? and will the price of 980ti drop when 1080 is released? or is there another way i could make it, like a 980ti + 1080 in my mobo? sorry im new to this. 

2 minutes ago, danielhowk said:

Hi, im currently using a MSI lightning 980ti, and i just recently bought a Acer XB271HU. and the best sweet spot to set it is 144hz (normal) without ghosting and pixel response time. Is my first time using a gsync monitor, so from what ive read about gsync, if my fps is about 110fps it doesnt feel as good as the actual 144fps (if my monitor is set at 144hz too)
my current graphic card is only about 90-100fps in games like overwatch. is it better for me to get another 980ti to make it SLI, or just buy a single GTX1080. will 980ti sli>1080? and will the price of 980ti drop when 1080 is released? or is there another way i could make it, like a 980ti + 1080 in my mobo? sorry im new to this. 

wait for 1080's benchmark. 

There will be plenty of GTX 980ti for sale used when it comes out anyway from people upgrading if SLI is better than single

I can guarantee you right now a 1080 will not beat an SLI'd 980 Ti in SLI compatible games. I mean let's be realistic here, a 780 Ti SLI'd smashes a 980 to the ground in regards to overall gaming performance. But if I was in your spot I would not take either and wait for a 1080 Ti, multi-GPUs based on personal experience are a waste of money and power due to game compatibility issues. Yea yea there's the saying "wait for driver/dev support" but this shit should be working flawlessly if we're spending absurd amounts of money on high-end products.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,22.html

14 minutes ago, danielhowk said:

will 980ti sli>1080? and will the price of 980ti drop when 1080 is released? or is there another way i could make it, like a 980ti + 1080 in my mobo?

1: We don't know. Wait for the 1080s benchmarks to come out.

2: On the used market maybe, on the new market probably not.

3: 1080+980Ti is not possible.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

1080+980ti is possible for DX12 supported games. 

Magical Pineapples

13 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

If the devs decides to add that compatibility :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

When 980 ti SLI is working it'll destroy the 1080 that isn't in doubt. What is in doubt is how many games will support SLI. A year ago I would have told you it was awesome it worked in all but 1 or 2 games a year and I was very happy with 970 SLI. Then Windows 10 came out, then DX12 and then Vulkan and each time it has felt like Nvidia was falling ever further behind the game releases and didn't have SLI profiles ready in time, and in many of those games in the last 6 months no SLI support was released at all. I would say its 50% coverage in the games I have played in the last 6 months which is the worst its been since I started using dual cards (started with the 4870X2).

I don't know if its going to solve itself into the future or not, with DX12 putting support in the hands of the developers I think its extremely unlikely that support will be good in the future. Developers are very lazy when it comes to high end support, its mostly poor console ports for AAA games so unless its in Nvidia/AMD's hands you aren't going to see SLI/Xfire support happen and DX12 is going to make that so much less likely.

So while 980 ti SLI will smash a 1080 its not an easy choice you have there, the 980 ti SLi in a months time will be a cheaper option but if the last 6 months is anything to go by I would not recommend SLI or xfire, both have been awful. Its a hard choice because you don't know what is going to happen in the future it could get better or worse from this point.

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Isn't there a new SLI bridge for the 1000 series? I'm not sure if the SLI bridge is compatible with the older card anyways

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

Isn't there a new SLI bridge for the 1000 series? I'm not sure if the SLI bridge is compatible with the older card anyways

With dx12, you don't need a bridge...considering that you can pair a AMD gpu and a Nvidia GPU together...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

With dx12, you don't need a bridge...considering that you can pair a AMD gpu and a Nvidia GPU together...

Oh okay, thanks for clearing it up 

This is a "leaked" overclock comparison.  If this numbers were to be believed, then the 2 x 970s still outperform an overclocked 1080.  So, no....a single 1080 won't touch 2 x 980tis.  

http://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/gtx_1080_overclocked_3dmark_performance_leaked/1

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

If you want to sell that Lightning look me up, I'd be interested in it.

That's my way of saying go with the cheaper more powerful SLI, and if you won't, I will ;)

If anyone asks you never saw me.

8 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

wait for 1080's benchmark. 

There will be plenty of GTX 980ti for sale used when it comes out anyway from people upgrading if SLI is better than single

8 hours ago, ybriK said:

I can guarantee you right now a 1080 will not beat an SLI'd 980 Ti in SLI compatible games. I mean let's be realistic here, a 780 Ti SLI'd smashes a 980 to the ground in regards to overall gaming performance. But if I was in your spot I would not take either and wait for a 1080 Ti, multi-GPUs based on personal experience are a waste of money and power due to game compatibility issues. Yea yea there's the saying "wait for driver/dev support" but this shit should be working flawlessly if we're spending absurd amounts of money on high-end products.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,22.html

8 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

8 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

7 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

5 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

When 980 ti SLI is working it'll destroy the 1080 that isn't in doubt. What is in doubt is how many games will support SLI. A year ago I would have told you it was awesome it worked in all but 1 or 2 games a year and I was very happy with 970 SLI. Then Windows 10 came out, then DX12 and then Vulkan and each time it has felt like Nvidia was falling ever further behind the game releases and didn't have SLI profiles ready in time, and in many of those games in the last 6 months no SLI support was released at all. I would say its 50% coverage in the games I have played in the last 6 months which is the worst its been since I started using dual cards (started with the 4870X2).

I don't know if its going to solve itself into the future or not, with DX12 putting support in the hands of the developers I think its extremely unlikely that support will be good in the future. Developers are very lazy when it comes to high end support, its mostly poor console ports for AAA games so unless its in Nvidia/AMD's hands you aren't going to see SLI/Xfire support happen and DX12 is going to make that so much less likely.

So while 980 ti SLI will smash a 1080 its not an easy choice you have there, the 980 ti SLi in a months time will be a cheaper option but if the last 6 months is anything to go by I would not recommend SLI or xfire, both have been awful. Its a hard choice because you don't know what is going to happen in the future it could get better or worse from this point.

5 hours ago, Wolther said:

4 hours ago, Vellinious said:

This is a "leaked" overclock comparison.  If this numbers were to be believed, then the 2 x 970s still outperform an overclocked 1080.  So, no....a single 1080 won't touch 2 x 980tis.  

http://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/gtx_1080_overclocked_3dmark_performance_leaked/1

3 hours ago, quintencapital said:

2 hours ago, App4that said:

If you want to sell that Lightning look me up, I'd be interested in it.

That's my way of saying go with the cheaper more powerful SLI, and if you won't, I will ;)

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

980 Ti SLI should smash the ever living shit out of the 1080 in games that support SLI

wait. is going to be my first time getting an sli. so not all games support sli. and it takes them around 6 months to support games with sli? man i thought sli will straight up be usable for any game. so overwatch and dota2 support sli? but just the idea of sli not being instant usable for all games is pretty turn off :( why would people get 970sli over a 980ti i mean the specs are about the same. since sli doesnt work after awhile instead of a single powerful gpu in this care 980ti vs 970sli

True.  Not all games support SLI.  Any more though, support for SLI is becoming more and more common.  You can bet it'll be supported on pretty much any VR titles that release.

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

11 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

yes it is...

19 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

True.  Not all games support SLI.  Any more though, support for SLI is becoming more and more common.  You can bet it'll be supported on pretty much any VR titles that release.

So far none of the VR games on Vive support SLI. Its literally zero support in 200 games. I know people think its meant to be really common based on Nvidia and AMD marketing but the reality is right now is far from that.

SLI has also been less used in the past 6 months than the many years before, I have never seen worse dual card support than I have had in the last 6 months and I have been using dual cards since the 4870X2.

Interesting about the VR games.  But, I'm not seeing the same thing you are with recent releases.  There will always be those studios that don't put support in for SLI / crossfire, but.....the ones that do, out number those that don't.  

To each his own.  I love my dual card setups....and won't have any reservations at all about running 2 x 1080s.