HTC Vive + Corning Thunderbolt

Greetings,

I'm a long-time LTT/LMG fan, and yet here I am just creating a forum account to post a request for a future LTT video topic. Feel free to crucify me if this is being posted in the wrong place.

I received my HTC Vive a week ago, and my computer is currently in my dungeon of a bedroom in the basement of a townhouse. I was wondering if it was even possible to run one of Corning's Thunderbolt cables to a Thunderbolt dock on a different floor and have the Vive connected to just that dock.

I think Asus's Thunderbolt support card can send Displayport from the Thunderbolt connection back into a discrete graphics card, though I'm not sure how much this impact's the Vive's latency. Obviously this would be quite expensive for an average joe to just test out, but it might be the solution I'm looking for. I just want to know if it would actually work without compromising the experience. Thanks!

I cant see any reason as to why it woudnt work... If the latency is low enough for use with a mouse, it should be fine with the vive.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

There are many variables that may hinder the experience. While maybe slight mouse latency may still be fully usable and barely noticeable for normal work situations, for a solution that demands a constant 90fps and the lowest possible latency possible for 1-to-1 tracking, that small latency might matter. No idea if USB latency would be the same as displayport latency.

I would also be very interested in this, as I found out that my cheap 10m hdmi cable can't handle the vive.

I use Steam's in-home streaming between two computers that are connected through a switch that's on the other side of the house with some long ass cat5e and cat6 cables, and it measures a latency of about 10ms as I interpret it, with 1080p 60fps and 5.1 surround sound. It's a measurable latency, but not noticeable. I'm willing to bet Thunderbolt can do (measurably) better.