Corsair Strafe with Cherry MX Blues key click

QRCodeKiller

Today i received my Corsair Strafe keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches and i've been using it and loving it but after few hours of use, i noticed that my "B" switch doesn't sound as sharp and clicky as the other keys. In terms of tactile feedback, it feels the same as the rest of the keys but it just doesn't sound as crisp and sharp as the other keys. Is there a problem with the key? Is it as durable, would it break faster than the other keys? Is there a way to fix this issue?

its probably ok and they would most likely not accept an RMA regarding that

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

its probably ok and they would most likely not accept an RMA regarding that

Well i probably wasn't going to return it unless it was a serious issue. My main issue is that i'm rather OCD(ish) and it annoys me. I'm just worried about the durability.

that happens occasionally. the control key on my Rapid-i is a bit weird, it almost has zero click  

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 minute ago, ITheSpazI said:

that happens occasionally. the control key on my Rapid-i is a bit weird, it almost has zero click  

Have you used it for long time without any issues?

22 minutes ago, QRCodeKiller said:

i noticed that my "B" switch doesn't sound as sharp and clicky as the other keys. In terms of tactile feedback, it feels the same as the rest of the keys but it just doesn't sound as crisp and sharp as the other keys.

Considering the design of what makes it 'click' this is bound to happen with blue switches. I have a board with 3+ Cherry MX blue switches that are inconsistent after only 3 months use. If you think about it, it takes very little to interfere with that clicky mechanism.

You might get some temporary fix with the alcohol/water thing ppl do to 'clean' the switch, but you're just moving dust around inside and can't actually remove it effectively unless you desolder, open the switch, clean it out, then put it all back together again... bah!

The inconsistency bugged me enough that I got a CIY keyboard so that I can swap any inconsistent switches among other things.

But in short, this sorta thing is normal. Other switch types you won't notice inconsistencies as much, especially the linear type. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

9 minutes ago, QRCodeKiller said:

Have you used it for long time without any issues?

the switch still works fine. it just doesn't really click anymore

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

I'd return/RMA and get a replacement. I wouldn't take anything less than perfect for expensive keyboards.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

23 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

I'd return/RMA and get a replacement. I wouldn't take anything less than perfect for expensive keyboards.

I got it internationally shipped from Amazon so i don't want to return it unless it is a rather serious issue where it will affect the durability of the keys

51 minutes ago, QRCodeKiller said:

I got it internationally shipped from Amazon so i don't want to return it unless it is a rather serious issue where it will affect the durability of the keys

Amazon should pay for returns.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 minute ago, AstroBenny said:

Amazon should pay for returns.

They do, but its a lot of hassle. if i continue to use it, i'll get used to it so i'm fine with this as long this doesn't affect the durability of that switch.

1 hour ago, AstroBenny said:

i doubt they will accept an RMA for a key that doesnt sound as sharp

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

i doubt they will accept an RMA for a key that doesnt sound as sharp

It's not an RMA, i can just return it to Amazon, which i probably won't unless durability of the key is affected.

40 minutes ago, QRCodeKiller said:

It's not an RMA, i can just return it to Amazon, which i probably won't unless durability of the key is affected.

The durability Will not be effected

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

53 minutes ago, spwath said:

The durability Will not be effected

That's good, do you know what the problem is though? i want to try fix it but i have no clue why its like this

1 hour ago, QRCodeKiller said:

That's good, do you know what the problem is though? i want to try fix it but i have no clue why its like this

Likely some teeny tiny bit of dust under the plastic piece that drops to make the click sound. 

Try this.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31125.0

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

This was the problem for me as well on my keyboard as well, i really hated it being inconsistent with the rest of the keys. I got mine replace, which had the same problem. Now even though i absolutely love blue switches i'm staying away from them right now and using a red switch. Once i got used to the reds, i really like them as well, i am actually grateful at the lightness of the key press. I'm thinking of trying brown's but i'm not sure because they might have the same problem. So if anybody knows if this problem is apparent only on the blues and not on browns, please let me know :)

1 hour ago, MenSuRx said:

I'm thinking of trying brown's but i'm not sure because they might have the same problem

It's a lot less likely to be a noticeable problem with browns if it's just a bit of dust. But there can be some variance in tactileness. I've got a Gateron brown that to me feels like it's a red switch... no tactile bump at all! 

Red/Black linear is the simplest design so flaws will go unnoticed.

Brown/MX Clear has only as many moving parts as linear but the tactile bump can be worn down or poorly manufactured.

Blue/Green is some kind of abomination of engineering. Satisfying to use... but behind that satisfying click is everything waiting to go wrong.

9 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

It's a lot less likely to be a noticeable problem with browns if it's just a bit of dust. But there can be some variance in tactileness. I've got a Gateron brown that to me feels like it's a red switch... no tactile bump at all! 

Red/Black linear is the simplest design so flaws will go unnoticed.

Brown/MX Clear has only as many moving parts as linear but the tactile bump can be worn down or poorly manufactured.

Blue/Green is some kind of abomination of engineering. Satisfying to use... but behind that satisfying click is everything waiting to go wrong.

Would you say your browns were defective or just very easily worn down from use?

What switch would you personally recommend then? After browsing through the internet, like OP i want to try get Corsair Strafe which comes in Reds, Browns and Blues

The 'B' key that had inconsistency problems feels and sounds exactly the same as a brown switch. I have no idea what to do.

9 hours ago, MenSuRx said:

Would you say your browns were defective or just very easily worn down from use?

What switch would you personally recommend then?

It was just one bad Gateron brown switch in a batch of 120. It wasn't on a keyboard yet lol. Tho I was surprised since many of the DIYers have been praising Gateron switches as better than Cherry MX. 

I'd still recommend browns. But personally I love blues, and deal with the inconsistency with this. I can replace switches in a matter of seconds :P

8 hours ago, QRCodeKiller said:

The 'B' key that had inconsistency problems feels and sounds exactly the same as a brown switch. I have no idea what to do.

That would drive me mad if it happened in the alpha numeric key zone. The Cougar 600k MX blue I had had 3-4 quieter switches but fortunately they were in the F and arrow keys. 

29 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

It was just one bad Gateron brown switch in a batch of 120. It wasn't on a keyboard yet lol. Tho I was surprised since many of the DIYers have been praising Gateron switches as better than Cherry MX. 

I'd still recommend browns. But personally I love blues, and deal with the inconsistency with this. I can replace switches in a matter of seconds :P

Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to re-solder or the knowledge to do this.

11 hours ago, MenSuRx said:

Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to re-solder or the knowledge to do this.

The Zhuque and Void Ray don't require soldering. They're designed with a mechanism to allow you to pull out and plug in RGB switches without disassembling the keyboard or doing any soldering. Compatible with Cherry RGB switches, Gateron RGB switches, and Outemu RGB switches. 

On 5/13/2016 at 10:41 AM, dtaflorida said:

Considering the design of what makes it 'click' this is bound to happen with blue switches. I have a board with 3+ Cherry MX blue switches that are inconsistent after only 3 months use. If you think about it, it takes very little to interfere with that clicky mechanism.

You might get some temporary fix with the alcohol/water thing ppl do to 'clean' the switch, but you're just moving dust around inside and can't actually remove it effectively unless you desolder, open the switch, clean it out, then put it all back together again... bah!

The inconsistency bugged me enough that I got a CIY keyboard so that I can swap any inconsistent switches among other things.

But in short, this sorta thing is normal. Other switch types you won't notice inconsistencies as much, especially the linear type. 

MX Brown Master Race...

Well right now I've only used membrane and scissor switch keyboards but when I have the money to build my first PC I intend to get a MX Brown Keyboard. Probably the Logitech G610 with MX Browns.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization