Overwatch is actually good

Taswell

For people who were confused like me here is a description of overwatch.

Intro

I come from a background in mostly CSGO and DOTA  +1000 hours into each. In the past I have never thought a single blizzard game was any good (Hearthstone,WOW, Heros of the Storm), So I went into my first game expecting to get wrecked in the most noob-like of ways and was surprised with I lost my first game on the defending side by a small margin with the other team only winning with the use of the overtime timer.

Genre - FPSMOBA?

This is definitely a unique game, some people say it is a TF2 Clone, and technically they would be right to a extremely slim degree(only because the character select screen resembles TF2 a little) . It takes the class system and game modes from TF2, but thats about it. A Better comparison would be if you smashed Dota/Smite with CSGO and then added the TF2 gamemodes on top of that.

Characters

Instead of classes there are characters that fall into a category similar to a MOBA draft, you have your offensive damage dealing characters, defensive tank styles, and the squishy healers. The Category they fall into dictates the play style. Example: an offensive player would play fast paced on the font lines of behind enemy lines being annoying and disrupting their supports.Most Characters seem pretty straight forward with the similar theme of "easy to play hard to master".

All Characters have a primary attack,*secondary attack ,one or two abilities and an ultimate. *(in some cases secondary attack and E ability are repeated and share a cooldown)

The game still doesn't feel completely balanced yet, but really close for a beta.I think most of the nerfs will come in  the form of cool down adjustments. 

Performance 

Im able to run this game well above 60FPS at 2560 x 1080 and regular 1080 on ultra preset with the configuration in my signature. Temps were really low (almost idle)with leads me to suspect that even on ultra this game requires little processing power or is just really fucking optimized. 

Lag compensation leads to extreme rubber banding similar to the way COD handles lag. Lag is still annoying and is still a bitch.

Conclusion 

I only played a couple hours so I still have no idea about 80% of the stuff in this game these are just my initial thoughts.

Controls are super simple. The only adjustment I made was mouse sensitivity.

I can see this being fun in casual and competitively. (there will be a ranking system)

Notes

Im also wondering how they expect people on consoles using controllers to keep up with the fast moving charters like tracer who literally blinks and teleports all over the place. 

Some characters ultimate comes online way too many time in one game ( still a beta though) 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

welp it doesn't support 21:9 so it gets a negative from me

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Only fun with bastion+medic

I've gotten a 39 kill streak with the guy

everyone else is eh

Bastion + mercy + reinhart = Legit hitler 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

It is pretty good. 40 euros good? Not sure about that. Need to see how ranked works first. 

5 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

Notes

Im also wondering how they expect people on consoles using controllers to keep up with the fast moving charters like tracer who literally blinks and teleports all over the place. 

Some characters ultimate comes online way too many time in one game ( still a beta though) 

well the tracers have controllers too, they will all move in slow motion. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

@Mohenjo
Throw in the mix a Tracer/Reaper with Torbjorn's turret near Bastion, and U have almost have a executing squad on Defense type map/objective :)

System requirements ?
I could play on something like this :D

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Nah, it's so broken.

yeah current bastion is bs, the ability to turn 360 in turret mode needs to be removed. 

also his ultimate is among the most retarded, you go into tank mode, oneshot everyone and STILL have 400 hp during all that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

once they nerf bastion itll be good. the game itself is fun. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

yeah current bastion is bs, the ability to turn 360 in turret mode needs to be removed. 

also his ultimate is among the most retarded, you go into tank mode, oneshot everyone and STILL have 400 hp during all that.

Hey let's not forget the wallhack dragon that you can't dodge and essentially one shots you. :|

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Hey let's not forget the wallhack dragon that you can't dodge and essentially one shots you. :|

wallhack dragon at least is harder to get since you need to land curving arrows, but yeah.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Nah, it's so broken.

It's ALWAYS (every single game) either: Bastion goes into turret mode, immediately kills 3 people

or Hanzo's ultimate

or Junkrat's ultimate

that's literally all I ever see as POTG

And there are some broken parts of it as well- Torbjorn's turret. It turns instantly, is dead-on accurate, and has TONS of health. 

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, ZetZet said:

wallhack dragon at least is harder to get since you need to land curving arrows, but yeah.

Eh, if you're halfway decent and charge it you pretty much one shot most things with it especially if they've taken any damage already.

The game itself is alright but a lot of the characters are a mess and I would never pay $40/60 for it because it bores me too quickly. There's not a lot to do in it.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

It's ALWAYS (every single game) either: Bastion goes into turret mode, immediately kills 3 people

or Hanzo's ultimate

or Junkrat's ultimate

And there are some broken parts of it as well- Torbjorn's turret. It turns instantly, is dead-on accurate, and has TONS of health. 

How about a DVA nuke that has the range of a football field? :P Best play of the game is watching someone whack a turret with a hammer imho.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

or Hanzo's ultimate

or Junkrat's ultimate

I have gotten Soldier 76 potg many times, also Genji. But it's always ultimates, I mean, obviously. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Eh, if you're halfway decent and charge it you pretty much one shot most things with it especially if they've taken any damage already.

The game itself is alright but a lot of the characters are a mess and I would never pay $40/60 for it because it bores me too quickly. There's not a lot to do in it.

I think the games are too snowbally. They can end in 5 minutes flat, how can anyone enjoy that.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

I have gotten Soldier 76 potg many times, also Genji. But it's always ultimates, I mean, obviously. 

Yeah. Of course I've seen other character's POTGs, but those are the main 3 (today, out of 8 games, I've seen one POTG that wasn't the ones I listed. It was rocket chick's ultimate.)

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How about a DVA nuke that has the range of a football field? :P

huh

18 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

For people who were confused like me here is a description of overwatch.

Intro

I come from a background in mostly CSGO and DOTA  +1000 hours into each. In the past I have never thought a single blizzard game was any good (Hearthstone,WOW, Heros of the Storm), So I went into my first game expecting to get wrecked in the most noob-like of ways and was surprised with I lost my first game on the defending side by a small margin with the other team only winning with the use of the overtime timer.

Genre - FPSMOBA?

This is definitely a unique game, some people say it is a TF2 Clone, and technically they would be right to a extremely slim degree(only because the character select screen resembles TF2 a little) . It takes the class system and game modes from TF2, but thats about it. A Better comparison would be if you smashed Dota/Smite with CSGO and then added the TF2 gamemodes on top of that.

Characters

Instead of classes there are characters that fall into a category similar to a MOBA draft, you have your offensive damage dealing characters, defensive tank styles, and the squishy healers. The Category they fall into dictates the play style. Example: an offensive player would play fast paced on the font lines of behind enemy lines being annoying and disrupting their supports.Most Characters seem pretty straight forward with the similar theme of "easy to play hard to master".

All Characters have a primary attack,*secondary attack ,one or two abilities and an ultimate. *(in some cases secondary attack and E ability are repeated and share a cooldown)

The game still doesn't feel completely balanced yet, but really close for a beta.I think most of the nerfs will come in  the form of cool down adjustments. 

Performance 

Im able to run this game well above 60FPS at 2560 x 1080 and regular 1080 on ultra preset with the configuration in my signature. Temps were really low (almost idle)with leads me to suspect that even on ultra this game requires little processing power or is just really fucking optimized. 

Lag compensation leads to extreme rubber banding similar to the way COD handles lag. Lag is still annoying and is still a bitch.

Conclusion 

I only played a couple hours so I still have no idea about 80% of the stuff in this game these are just my initial thoughts.

Controls are super simple. The only adjustment I made was mouse sensitivity.

I can see this being fun in casual and competitively. (there will be a ranking system)

Notes

If by "good" you mean linear and dull, then yes - it's good for simpletons.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

7 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I get plenty of POTG on offense as Pharah with her ult.

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How about a DVA nuke that has the range of a football field? :P Best play of the game is watching someone whack a turret with a hammer imho.

no, best ones are mercy ones where they literally just stand there not even healing anyone and then press q once

Spoiler

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

I get plenty of POTG on offense as Pharah with her ult.

You get "plenty?" Of your own? How much have you played the beta?!?!

Just now, ZetZet said:

no, best ones are mercy ones where they literally just stand there not even healing anyone and then press q once

Only seen that once, still annoying.

Honestly my problem with the game is the only way I can have fun is playing in a party, and that's not always viable. Other than that the game is a frustrating mess.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

You get "plenty?" Of your own? How much have you played the beta?!?!

What do you mean? Yes of my own... I see play of the game, then it shows me ult murdering 3 or 4 people as Pharah. Hit lvl 12 in the first wave, got reset to 1 and hit 11. So not a ton, not much time.