Can I change the desktop location of Windings 7?

niksuto
Go to solution Solved by amiah137,

Hey,

Is there a way to change the target location for my desktop?
I'm not liking how all my files on my desktop are located on my C drive

Thanks for reading
9726702211_d2f7b48190_n.jpg

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

In windows explorer, right click on desktop and go to properties and then the shortcut tab, from there you should be able to change your target location.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II OC | SSD128GB Samsung 840 Evo  | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 | Monitor: 2x LG 22EA53VQ IPS 

Do you mean the default isntallation directory?

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

Do you mean the default isntallation directory?

I'm not totally sure how to word this correctly. 

but I want the desktop instead of it being "C:\Users\Niksuto\Desktop" to be "D:\AlternativeDesktop" so when I click the "show desktop" button and place something on my desktop I'm not placing it on my C drive.

In windows explorer, right click on desktop and go to properties and then the shortcut tab, from there you should be able to change your target location.

I tried this, this only changes it for the desktop shortcut in the explorer.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II OC | SSD128GB Samsung 840 Evo  | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 | Monitor: 2x LG 22EA53VQ IPS 

Windows 7 and 8 make this easy as pie.

Right-click the Desktop folder, go to Properties, go to the Location tab.  Click Move and set whatever location you want.

Works for Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and similar folders as well.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Windows 7 and 8 make this easy as pie.

Right-click the Desktop folder, go to Properties, go to the Location tab.  Click Move and set whatever location you want.

Works for Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and similar folders as well.

there is no locations tab, the only location path I can change here is for the shortcut.

there is no locations tab, the only location path I can change here is for the shortcut.

You sure?  Make sure you actually go to C:\Users\<your username> and right-click on the actual Desktop folder.  Right-clicking on a shortcut to the Desktop folder won't work.

EDIT: Maybe this is only Windows 8.  It's been so long since I installed Windows 7 that I can't remember whether a registry edit was required.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

You sure?  Make sure you actually go to C:\Users\<your username> and right-click on the actual Desktop folder.  Right-clicking on a shortcut to the Desktop folder won't work.

EDIT: Maybe this is only Windows 8.  It's been so long since I installed Windows 7 that I can't remember whether a registry edit was required.

Yup it's there, I just double checked to be sure. 

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias