Need Help to Decide (1440p,144hz/4k)

ThornHD

Hi,

I am about to build my first Pc, currently i have a gaming Laptop but its getting pretty old now and a Laptop is pretty meh for gaming.

My Specs will be:

Spoiler

Cpu: I7 6700K

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Cpu Cooler: Dark Rock 3

Gpu: Zotac GTX 980Ti

Ram: 16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200

Psu: 650 Watt Corsair Vengeance 650M Modular 80+

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D with Sidepanel

SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo

HDD: 3TB Seagate Desktop HDD

So because I currently have a Laptop, i also need a new Monitor for my Rig. I looked around for so long but i just have no idea which one i should take. I am thinking about either a 1440p 144hz 27 inch Ips Monitor or a 4k Monitor. I was also considering an Ultrawide Screen 1440p but they are so expensive and i heard many games can´t even be displayed at a 21:9 ratio. I would really appreciate any help to decide and Monitor suggestions. Personally i was thinking about the Asus PG279Q, but i have heard so many stories about really bad Backlight bleeding and dead Pixels.

Just now, ThornHD said:

games are no problem with 21:9. to this day i havent had a game except for cod that couldnt run on 21:9

also at that price point i would get a g-sync display or fury x and freesync if you want to safe money.

also wait for next gen gpu's

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Stoppppp , do not buy a 980 Ti , AMD Polaris 10 releasing some time around Computex in June is rumored to offer 980 Ti like performance for 350 USD it would be an utter waste of money unless you found a hell of a deal for like 500 or less

9 minutes ago, ThornHD said:

Hi,

I am about to build my first Pc, currently i have a gaming Laptop but its getting pretty old now and a Laptop is pretty meh for gaming.

My Specs will be:

Reveal hidden contents

Cpu: I7 6700K

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Cpu Cooler: Dark Rock 3

Gpu: Zotac GTX 980Ti

Ram: 16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200

Psu: 650 Watt Corsair Vengeance 650M Modular 80+

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D with Sidepanel

SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo

HDD: 3TB Seagate Desktop HDD

So because I currently have a Laptop, i also need a new Monitor for my Rig. I looked around for so long but i just have no idea which one i should take. I am thinking about either a 1440p 144hz 27 inch Ips Monitor or a 4k Monitor. I was also considering an Ultrawide Screen 1440p but they are so expensive and i heard many games can´t even be displayed at a 21:9 ratio. I would really appreciate any help to decide and Monitor suggestions. Personally i was thinking about the Asus PG279Q, but i have heard so many stories about really bad Backlight bleeding and dead Pixels.

I'd go 1440p, you'll be able to max out graphics and the additional screen real estate isn't as much felt on gaming as it is on productivity workloads. I'll echo the sentiment that waiting for GPU releases is worth it. We're looking at a paper launch for Pascal tomorrow and a worldwide launch about 4 weeks after that. And then you might be able to buy a GPU that maxes out 4K.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Stoppppp , do not buy a 980 Ti , AMD Polaris 10 releasing some time around Computex in June is rumored to offer 980 Ti like performance for 350 USD it would be an utter waste of money unless you found a hell of a deal for like 500 or less

I have a hard time believing that rumor because AMD would have no problem charging more than $350 for 980 Ti-like performance. It's either going to perform at less or cost more.

Or AMD just gave us the most amazing price / performance in the history of GPUs.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

I have a hard time believing that rumor because AMD would have no problem charging more than $350 for 980 Ti-like performance. It's either going to perform at less or cost more.

Or AMD just gave us the most amazing price / performance in the history of GPUs.

A lot of major PC hardware outlets reported on it i doubt they would if the source wasn't reliable  

Just now, FirstArmada said:

A lot of major PC hardware outlets reported on it i doubt they would if the source wasn't reliable  

I only found the one source quoted here in LTT. If you could link me the other ones I'd be grateful and start saving that money up.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

AMD Polaris 10 releasing some time around Computex in June is rumored to offer 980 Ti like performance for 350 USD

take it with some grain of salt

but yea, do wait for the newer gpus if you are patient enough

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

i would have gotten the 980ti for 500 euros which is really n1 because normally they are around 700 but i rather wanted help for the monitor not to start a discusion about future gpus who will be able to beat the 980ti for half the price on their release date nobody sure knows about and because sure they will be so cheap on their release with this amount of gpu power but k i can wait ^^

I consider frequency a higher quality factor than pixel density. 2.5x times the frequency is a vast improvement in games and very noticeable on the desktop with mouse movement. On the other hand 4x the pixels does improve image quality but not as much as the fluid movement does. I came from 1080p@144 to my 1440@165 and I largely consider the extra pixels more hassle than they are worth! The reasons is scale in Windows is a bit meh, its not quite perfect. For some programs its beneficial (PowerDirector, Eclipse) but in games it mostly just makes it harder to get a high frame rate.

Scaling is a problem that i have with my Laptop too but i am not really bothered too much with it. I also though to rather go with a 1440p as a primary and a 1080 as a secondary, actually i was thinking about a monitor setup pretty close to your setup on paper, but right now i will probably still wait for the new gpu´s.