Seagate Nytro XP6500 SSD Review

It's me!

This looks like one mean SSD, though you will need a helluva case because of those big capacitors up top. This has the fastest QD1 write speed on the planet, though, so it would be the fastest with most operating systems. 4GB/s of sequential performance is nice too :)

The third-generation Seagate Nytro XP6500 leverages SandForce SSD controllers and the Avago LSISAS3108 PCIe 3.0 x8 ROC to deliver up to 300,000/100,000 random read/write IOPS and 4.0/2.2 GB/s of sequential read/write throughputThe SandForce controllers compress data during ingest to reduce the amount of capacity required to store data, which reduces wear on the NAND and extends the life of the SSD. The technique also provides extra spare area (overprovisioning) to the SSD, which boosts performance.  The combination of techniques provides a stunningly low write latency of 14 microseconds at a queue depth of one.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/seagate-nytro-xp6500-enterprise-ssd,2-1017.html#fragment-1

Nytro-XP6500-FHHL-Laying-Down-Right-hi-r

Damn look at those capacitors. *do Not do a yo mamma's dildo joke*

Pretty nice SSD, but really it's similar to all other enterprise SSD's: Expensive! I would love for consumer SSD's to have capacitors built in too (I do believe some has them, but it's rare).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I've always wanted to have a PC with a small ultrafast storage solution for the OS only, and I hope Seagate can have a reasonable price for lower capacity models (unlikely) or perhaps break into the SSD consumer market (also unlikely). I was really disappointed when the 950 Pro only came out in a 256 GB model, I honestly would have loved to buy a ~$120 ultra enthusiast speed NVME 128 GB model. Heck, I would've even bought a 64 GB model although I know that's not really possible due to base cost and NAND capacities. I guess all I can do now is plan on buying 3D Xpoint once that happens, but I don't want to wait that long...

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

11 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

I've always wanted to have a PC with a small ultrafast storage solution for the OS only, and I hope Seagate can have a reasonable price for lower capacity models (unlikely) or perhaps break into the SSD consumer market (also unlikely). I was really disappointed when the 950 Pro only came out in a 256 GB model, I honestly would have loved to buy a ~$120 ultra enthusiast speed NVME 128 GB model. Heck, I would've even bought a 64 GB model although I know that's not really possible due to base cost and NAND capacities. I guess all I can do now is plan on buying 3D Xpoint once that happens, but I don't want to wait that long...

Nand isn't parallel enough for that at low capacities (it would be quite literally half the speed...)

It's a bad idea imho to ever buy 120gb or smaller ssds... 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Nand isn't parallel enough for that at low capacities (it would be quite literally half the speed...)

It's a bad idea imho to ever buy 120gb or smaller ssds... 

yeah, that's my problem. I know that from a technical standpoint it's not doable, but I wish it was.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

2 minutes ago, CommandMan7 said:

yeah, that's my problem. I know that from a technical standpoint it's not doable, but I wish it was.

Just go full SSD instead... clearly that would be a more efficient and less annoying solution (assuming all things equal including price).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS