Something about Ultrabooks

I have noticed that all of the Ultrabooks does not have a dedicated GPU.

Is this what Intel wants in order to recognise a notebook as an Ultrabook,

or the chassis too thin to fit in the graphics card?

A dGPU would affect battery life, require a more beefy cooling solution, and increase costs. So a little of everything. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Then it wouldn't be "ultra light, thin and silent"

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Well, there are "Ultrabooks" with a dedicated GPU, even though they may not be allowed to call themselve "Ultrabook", if Intel's specification demands onboard graphic. For exaample, look at the Asus UX 303 LN, which is small an light, has most of the Ultrabook capabilities and a dedicated 840M:

asus-ux303ln-conclusions.jpg

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

6 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Well, there are "Ultrabooks" with a dedicated GPU, even though they may not be allowed to call themselve "Ultrabook", if Intel's specification demands onboard graphic. For exaample, look at the Asus UX 303 LN, which is small an light, has most of the Ultrabook capabilities and a dedicated 840M:

Is there one with a good dedicated GPU?

I think the point of an ultrabook is always more about form and form factor than performance. Most normal non-ultrabook, non gaming laptop, laptops are shite. There's really no other way of putting it. Battery life is often good but their i3s are lacking, the screens are frankly awful in every respect -- resolution (usually 1366x768 still) colours are drab, colours are drab and viewing angles are narrow.

Gaming laptops are heavy and last a couple of hours if you are lucky. If you want something that is just nicer in every way than a standard laptop and will last you through 10 hours of word processing and look gorgeous doing it then an ultrabook makes a tonne of sense. This is basically the entire reason that Macbooks and Macbook Airs exist and why no one who has ever bought an ultrabook has ever given a flying fuck that it cannot run Crysis.

10 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

I think the point of an ultrabook is always more about form and form factor than performance. Most normal non-ultrabook, non gaming laptop, laptops are shite. There's really no other way of putting it. Battery life is often good but their i3s are lacking, the screens are frankly awful in every respect -- resolution (usually 1366x768 still) colours are drab, colours are drab and viewing angles are narrow.

Gaming laptops are heavy and last a couple of hours if you are lucky. If you want something that is just nicer in every way than a standard laptop and will last you through 10 hours of word processing and look gorgeous doing it then an ultrabook makes a tonne of sense. This is basically the entire reason that Macbooks and Macbook Airs exist and why no one who has ever bought an ultrabook has ever given a flying fuck that it cannot run Crysis.

Well, you just answered your own question: graphical powerful laptops (gaming laptops) are big an heavy. Most inexpensive laptops are most suitable for Aunt Martha's office work. Ultrabooks are quite powerful for their size and have a decent battery life, which makes them perfect for students and on the go use. Sure, you can't heavily edit video or game in native resolution - but (as of now) thin, light, powerful and long-living is just not feasable ;)

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

34 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

call yourself lucky, anything above an nvidia GT*40m in belgium is price times two...

25 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Well, you just answered your own question: graphical powerful laptops (gaming laptops) are big an heavy. Most inexpensive laptops are most suitable for Aunt Martha's office work. Ultrabooks are quite powerful for their size and have a decent battery life, which makes them perfect for students and on the go use. Sure, you can't heavily edit video or game in native resolution - but (as of now) thin, light, powerful and long-living is just not feasable ;)

Maybe. Although the GPU in those laptops is only being used when it needs to be, most of the time you are running on Integrated to save power, so there isn't really any reason that in low intensity applications a gaming GPU couldn't last as long as an ultrabook.

If AMD's performance per watt boasts regarding Polaris are accurate, the Mac Pro landscape could actually get quite interesting here. At the moment the high end Macbook Pros only have M370Xs. If a a GPU that were actually good could match the heat and power of that (or the 840M) then thin and light gaming ultrabooks could explode.

Incorrect, they are ultrabooks with dedicated GPUs.

The 2 most popular ones are: Dell XPS 15 series, Razor series laptop and Surface Book, but that doesn't mean they are the only one, you have ASUS too, and other manufactures with competing products.

But, as consumer seek lowest price possible system, manufacture seek to maximize revenues, the consumer that wants a dedicated graphics, wants high performance (so that means more powerful CPUs and GPUs, which means more cooling, which means larger laptop), and those that want a dedicated GPU wants larger laptops, all comes down the market that you see here.

And yes, Intel has the monopoly of graphics solution for Intel powered system. Even if your laptop has a dedicated graphics, in most laptop, it all goes through the Intel graphics chip (special drivers are made, where the dedicated GPU output each rendered frame not to a display, but rather in to the system RAM where Intel graphics solution stores its frame buffer. It puts the rendered frame, and fools the Intel graphics solution that the job is already done, and it outputs it to the display. This also allows switchable graphics helping boosting battery life of laptops. Nvidia used to have this great idea of having 2 dedicated graphics solution, one super weak in comparison, for non gaming or graphically intensive tasks, and then you actual dedicated graphics. Sadly, because it requires more money (2 GPUs) that the manufacture needs to spend (meaning the system cost more to you), the consumer was not interested, and the idea fell out.

So now, you are forced to live with all the issues of the Intel integrated graphics, mostly thanks to its horrible drivers. They got really bad in the recent years (to a point that Microsoft had to send a team of devs to Intel to get their drivers ready for Windows 10, while Nvidia and AMD had 0 problem, let alone get the power saving feature of the Intel graphics working, as people were screaming on how "Windows 10 destroys their battery life", while in reality it was Intel), The big problem, is that Intel does not care. I doubt they even have anything but the outmost small team working on the graphics chip, with part of it outsourced on the cheap. Why? Because they have no competition, AND because they see that the graphics chip is a free solution that they offer, while in reality, they jacked up the price of all their CPUs for it, and making it the only choice.

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

Like a 970m?

You can get the MSI gs40, but that is not really a ultrabook but it is 14 inch and has a weight of about 1.6kg with a run time of max 4-5 hours with normal use and the screen brightness turned down. There is also the Clevo P640 something with the same specs as the msi one it just has a weight of 1.8kg and can last about 2-3 hours max with normal use and the screen brightness turned down.

You are lucky if you even find a real ultrabook with a 940m, most will have intel HD 520.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

There are ultrabooks that have dedicated chips mostly the mid tier Nvidia cards some has the GTX970 or 960M
XPS 15 has a GTX 960M
Asus UX303UB has 940M
and more...(mostly Aorus and Razer)

17 hours ago, Speakerator said:

asus-ux303ln-conclusions.jpg

There should be an updated version of it.

With a 6th Gen Core i and GT940M.

Anyone knows the name of the laptop model?

2 hours ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

There should be an updated version of it.

With a 6th Gen Core i and GT940M.

Anyone knows the name of the laptop model?

Don't get a Asus laptop their build quality has just been going down since the 2th gen i3/5/7. The same goes for the cooling solution.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Don't get a Asus laptop their build quality has just been going down since the 2th gen i3/5/7. The same goes for the cooling solution.

Nah I usually don't care about it.

1 minute ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

Nah I usually don't care about it.

trust me you will when it starts to get up to 96 degrees and things stop working, because then you have to pay people like me money to fix it and that fix might last 1/2 year and then you need to do it again. I think it is better to get a quality build laptop that you don't have to get fixed over a cheaper laptop you will have to get fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2016 at 9:02 PM, GoodBytes said:

Incorrect, they are ultrabooks with dedicated GPUs.

The 2 most popular ones are: Dell XPS 15 series, Razor series laptop and Surface Book, but that doesn't mean they are the only one, you have ASUS too, and other manufactures with competing products.

But, as consumer seek lowest price possible system, manufacture seek to maximize revenues, the consumer that wants a dedicated graphics, wants high performance (so that means more powerful CPUs and GPUs, which means more cooling, which means larger laptop), and those that want a dedicated GPU wants larger laptops, all comes down the market that you see here.

And yes, Intel has the monopoly of graphics solution for Intel powered system. Even if your laptop has a dedicated graphics, in most laptop, it all goes through the Intel graphics chip (special drivers are made, where the dedicated GPU output each rendered frame not to a display, but rather in to the system RAM where Intel graphics solution stores its frame buffer. It puts the rendered frame, and fools the Intel graphics solution that the job is already done, and it outputs it to the display. This also allows switchable graphics helping boosting battery life of laptops. Nvidia used to have this great idea of having 2 dedicated graphics solution, one super weak in comparison, for non gaming or graphically intensive tasks, and then you actual dedicated graphics. Sadly, because it requires more money (2 GPUs) that the manufacture needs to spend (meaning the system cost more to you), the consumer was not interested, and the idea fell out.

So now, you are forced to live with all the issues of the Intel integrated graphics, mostly thanks to its horrible drivers. They got really bad in the recent years (to a point that Microsoft had to send a team of devs to Intel to get their drivers ready for Windows 10, while Nvidia and AMD had 0 problem, let alone get the power saving feature of the Intel graphics working, as people were screaming on how "Windows 10 destroys their battery life", while in reality it was Intel), The big problem, is that Intel does not care. I doubt they even have anything but the outmost small team working on the graphics chip, with part of it outsourced on the cheap. Why? Because they have no competition, AND because they see that the graphics chip is a free solution that they offer, while in reality, they jacked up the price of all their CPUs for it, and making it the only choice.

I didn't know about ultrabooks with dgpus.

just that they are so rare. (probably older models.)