Network Switch Tanked My Internet speed!

Manage My Cables

Hello,

So I recently switch my pc's and ps4 to a wired internet connection. I got a tp link gigabit switch that has tanked my internet speed. The device is plug and play no setup required but can't figure whats going wrong?

Thanks

Switch-   http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/tp-link-5-port-gigabit-switch-tl-sg105-tpsg105

Does it ruin your internet speed when both devices are operating simultaneously or just strait up it doesn't matter which device is turned on and being used.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Does it ruin your internet speed when both devices are operating simultaneously or just strait up it doesn't matter which device is turned on and being used.

The speeds are horrible across all my devices.

I have the same switch connecting my office to the rest of my network and I get 1Gbps no problem. Have you checked all of your cables to make sure they aren't bad or creating a loop anywhere (these switches don't have STP)? Are you sure you don't have an IP/MAC address conflict on your network? Have you tried running a file transfer and unplug the other devices to see if ti helps? Maybe you have a bad switch/port? Try to RMA it and see if the replacement acts the same.

I have 3 TP-LINK switches (1 5-port, 1 8-port w/ POE, and 1 8-port w/o POE) and I get the full line rate during iperf tests.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I have the same switch connecting my office to the rest of my network and I get 1Gbps no problem. Have you checked all of your cables to make sure they aren't bad or creating a loop anywhere (these switches don't have STP)? Are you sure you don't have an IP/MAC address conflict on your network? Have you tried running a file transfer and unplug the other devices to see if ti helps? Maybe you have a bad switch/port? Try to RMA it and see if the replacement acts the same.

I have 3 TP-LINK switches (1 5-port, 1 8-port w/ POE, and 1 8-port w/o POE) and I get the full line rate during iperf tests.

ok give me about 10mins to find out.

10 minutes ago, Manage My Cables said:

The speeds are horrible across all my devices.

I would try plugging them into the switch one at a time and see what kind of difference it makes. If each device performs poorly independently attached to the switch you might have to return it and locate a different one. 

I WOULD recommend the TP-LINK Gigabit switch I installed in my parents home but I really doubt your room needs a 16 port switch.

58 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I opened up a couple ports on my modem and that fixed it :)