Samsung M.2 950 Pro: Is it worth it?

iPC

Hi, I was originally going to go with a 250 gb 850 EVO as my boot drive, but I was wondering if you get a significantly faster boot time with the 256 gb 950 PRO. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iPC said:

Hi, I was originally going to go with a 250 gb 850 EVO as my boot drive, but I was wondering if you get a significantly faster boot time with the 256 gb 950 PRO. Thank you!

pice to performance, no

performance, yes

3 minutes ago, iPC said:

950P definitely should be faster if it's an M.2 drive, because SATA has I believe about a 600Mb/s bandwidth cap, whereas M.2 is higher than that.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

pice to performance, no

performance, yes

This is my build so far. Link; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YDQh6h What things do you think could be rearranged to fit in the 950 pro at around 1,900$ ?

http://techreport.com/review/29221/samsung-950-pro-512gb-ssd-reviewed/4

Here's some benchmarks showing Windows 8 boot times, as well as a few application loading benchmarks, between the 950 Pro, 850 EVO, and a few others.

Note that while the 950 Pro shows up on synthetic benchmarks much faster an 850 EVO, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to translate into an obvious real-world difference you can see and feel.

5 minutes ago, GR1MES said:

950P definitely should be faster if it's an M.2 drive, because SATA has I believe about a 600Mb/s bandwidth cap, whereas M.2 is higher than that.

M.2 is just the formfactor and uses either the PCI-e or SATA interface to communicate with the chipset.

So a M.2 SATA drive isn't going to be faster than a normal 2.5'' SATA drive, but if it is connected over the PCI-e interface, it can go significantly faster.

The 950 Pro is a PCI-e M.2 SSD (or SSM - Solid State Module), which can achieve much higher read and write speeds than any SATA drive, but that doesn't mean it'll automatically boot faster than a normal 2.5'' SATA SSD.

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

M.2 is just the formfactor and uses either the PCI-e or SATA interface to communicate with the chipset.

So a M.2 SATA drive isn't going to be faster than a normal 2.5'' SATA drive, but if it is connected over the PCI-e interface, it can go significantly faster.

The 950 Pro is a PCI-e M.2 SSD (or SSM - Solid State Module), which can achieve much higher read and write speeds than any SATA drive, but that doesn't mean it'll automatically boot faster than a normal 2.5'' SATA SSD.

4 hours ago, typographie said:

Here's some benchmarks showing Windows 8 boot times, as well as a few application loading benchmarks, between the 950 Pro, 850 EVO, and a few others.

Note that while the 950 Pro shows up on synthetic benchmarks much faster an 850 EVO, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to translate into an obvious real-world difference you can see and feel.

4 hours ago, mikat said:

No it's not going to boot that much faster with the 950 pro compared to the 850 evo

m.2 is much faster i have it

I currently don't believe the m.2 or pcie ssds are worth it over something like an 850 evo. Why? Take a look at these benchmarks:

There's like no difference. Nadda. You're only gonna see a difference in large file transfers and stuff for like a server. Therefore, I currently don't recommend any pcie drives to anyone, unless they will use it for like a home server or something.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Again, M.2 is just a formfactor.

7 hours ago, mikat said:

in boot times too?

12 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I currently don't believe the m.2 or pcie ssds are worth it over something like an 850 evo. Why? Take a look at these benchmarks:

There's like no difference. Nadda. You're only gonna see a difference in large file transfers and stuff for like a server. Therefore, I currently don't recommend any pcie drives to anyone, unless they will use it for like a home server or something.

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Again, M.2 is just a formfactor.

So 

512 gb m.2 Samsung pro 950=3 secound boot

1tb samung pro 950 data ssd= 5-6 secpunds.

So, again

Price to performance, no

Performance, yes

The boot-time is damn near the same. It shines in other applications. I don't really think it's worth it unless you want to go for the best of the best (of consumer hardware)

1 hour ago, Bajantechnician said:

So 

So, again

Price to performance, no

Performance, yes

Not sure what you are talking about.... Plus there isn't even a 1tb 950 pro.

And the boot times aren't 3 seconds. It's like 15.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

33 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

And the boot times aren't 3 seconds. It's like 15.

You can shave it down to 6-8. I also suspect he meant 1tb 850 pro.

Get 850 evo. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

So 

So, again

Price to performance, no

Performance, yes

And again, M.2 is just a form factor. The PCI-e interface and NVMe protocol are what makes the 950 Pro so quick.
But still, 3 seconds aren't worth anything.

950 Pro isn't worth it for normal everyday use, you'll be disappointed with its performance and the money you've wasted on it. 950 Pro booting up is similar to 850 in RAPID mode, nothing too special.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

And again, M.2 is just a form factor. The PCI-e interface and NVMe protocol are what makes the 950 Pro so quick.
But still, 3 seconds aren't worth anything.

It's actually annoying me big time how people need to learn that they are NVMe drives not m.2 as you can get sata m.2 drives which cap out at around 550MB/s.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It's actually annoying me big time how people need to learn that they are NVMe drives not m.2 as you can get sata m.2 drives which cap out at around 550MB/s.

Wait wait wait...

M.2 is just the formfactor.
SATA and PCI-e are the interfaces.
AHCI and NVMe are the protocols.

A 2.5'' AHCI PCI-e drive can be faster than a M.2 NVMe SATA drive, but the NVMe drive can still be better when it comes to random read and writes.

NVMe has little to no impact on the sequential read and write performance of a drive.But it improves the random read and write performance drastically and therefor also the IOPS.

The NVMe protocol isn't an indicator for a fast drive and neither is PCI-e or M.2.

On 4/25/2016 at 8:47 PM, Bajantechnician said:

Do you have a SATA drive as well that you can run direct comparisons on?

Did you look at the benchmarks I linked? :P 

3 hours ago, typographie said:

Do you have a SATA drive as well that you can run direct comparisons on?

Did you look at the benchmarks I linked? :P 

yes, i do