Youtube video making queston

whats the difference between these two heads? Thanks in advance.

Manfrotto 502 Video Head MVH502AH

Manfrotto MHXPRO-2W XPRO

compare them yourself

https://www.manfrotto.com/pro-video-head-flat-base-msize

https://www.manfrotto.com/xpro-fluid-head-with-fluidity-selector

there is this button called "compare" at the left of the screen

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The mhxpro is a much lighter duty fluid head and i believe it only offers fluidity on the tilt from what i can tell. I personally own the 502ah and i would recommend it. It offers adjustable pan and tilt drag, has a decent counterbalance that isnt too strong if you plan on using a lighter camera. The 502 is a BIG fluid head, so keep that in mind. It will add quit a bit of weight to your tripod so that is somthing to keep in mind if you are going to be traveling with it.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

1 minute ago, bob345 said:

The mhxpro is a much lighter duty fluid head and i believe it only offers fluidity on the tilt from what i can tell. I personally own the 502ah and i would recommend it. It offers adjustable pan and tilt drag, has a decent counterbalance that isnt too strong if you plan on using a lighter camera. The 502 is a BIG fluid head, so keep that in mind. It will add quit a bit of weight to your tripod so that is somthing to keep in mind if you are going to be traveling with it.

ok so whats does the 

• Variable Fluid Drag System on PAN and TILT movements

mean on the 502 is it useful and what is it useful for 

4 minutes ago, Hexorian said:

ok so whats does the 

• Variable Fluid Drag System on PAN and TILT movements

mean on the 502 is it useful and what is it useful for 

The fluid drag is what helps you get smooth shots for video. Here's a video i shot with my 502 to give you an idea on the fluid movement it offers. Without a fluid head, it is very difficult to achieve smooth camera movement. The variable drag lets you fine tune the amount of drag you want for slow movements or fast movements.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

4 minutes ago, bob345 said:

The fluid drag is what helps you get smooth shots for video. Here's a video i shot with my 502 to give you an idea on the fluid movement it offers. Without a fluid head, it is very difficult to achieve smooth camera movement.

Ok thank your for the input

The MHXPro: use it only if you plan to stick to DSLRs or Mirrorless or just small cameras for video*.  If you play to get any heavier or larger camera, or even a proper video camera (even if it's probably far in the future)... get the 502.  The Quick Release (QR) system is more robust on the 502.  The XPro's quick release plate is nice for photo cameras (even then I wouldn't generally recommend it to any photographer, Arca Swiss style systems are better), but for video cameras it's not really an ideal system.

Sacthler (a very expensive brand) also makes a very nice video head system with a small QR plate, but their design is much more robust and solid than Manfrotto's small QR plate system.

*And when I say small cameras or DSLR/Mirrorless, I am assuming you will use it with a kit lens or short lightweight zoom.  If you plan to use any heavy or very large lenses... forget the XPro.  In fact, just forget the XPro completely.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer