Installing XP Pro on New-Old PC, Need Help

flibberdipper
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Yes, it's tricky to get SATA AHCI support working.

The easiest way, is to set your SATA controller to IDE mode (could also be called: Legacy or Compatibility), where the SATA controller will emulate IDE interface for legacy OS, like Windows XP can operate properly.

If you really want AHCI, then you need to get:

-> A floppy drive

-> A diskette for it in good shape and functioning.

-> Insert the SATA controller drivers extracted (also refereed as "*inf stup" , if you look at the motherboard driver disk or website.

-> Then when Windows XP setup load, you'll have a short moment, where at the bottom of teh screen, it will say "Press F6 to install additional drivers". Do so. Then load the drivers

If you don't have a floppy drive or diskette , then you are in a world of hurt, as you'll need to figure out how to slipstream Windows XP, and cross your finger it works. SATA AHCI drivers can't be installed after WinXP was installed. They can be updated but not installed and actually be used. Due that drivers are tied to the kernel, for efficiency reasons that were required back in the days to run on the slow computers we had.

Alright, so I'm building a new-old PC for all of my grandma's old programs, since most of them don't seem to work with 7 Home Premium 64-bit AT ALL. It's using an ASRock N68C-GS FX mobo with a Sempron 145 CPU, HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6570, and I plan on installing it with an ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA DVD Drive to a WD 2500AAKX SATA HDD. Should it install normally, or will it need some help? If you want to know all the goods, I've supplied a link below.

And if it needs some help installing, PLEASE give me a link or a file for the "help stuff".

EDIT: I forgot to mention it's the 32-bit version.

EDIT: Guess the link didn't go. Here it is: LINK

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yes with that your system will be fine for XP, XP never had any specific requirements like 7 or 8 so it should work just fine.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Yes with that your system will be fine for XP, XP never had any specific requirements like 7 or 8 so it should work just fine.

reason I asked is because I heard XP didn't like being installed in SATA stuff and it needed help.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

reason I asked is because I heard XP didn't like being installed in SATA stuff and it needed help.

I have never heard of that at all.. I don't think it is an issue, my dad had used XP on an SSD.. I think it will be fine

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

The easiest way, is to set your SATA controller to IDE mode (could also be called: Legacy or Compatibility), where the SATA controller will emulate IDE interface for legacy OS, like Windows XP can operate properly.

-> A floppy drive

-> Insert the SATA controller drivers extracted (also refereed as "*inf stup" , if you look at the motherboard driver disk or website.

-> Then when Windows XP setup load, you'll have a short moment, where at the bottom of teh screen, it will say "Press F6 to install additional drivers". Do so. Then load the drivers

If you don't have a floppy drive or diskette , then you are in a world of hurt, as you'll need to figure out how to slipstream Windows XP, and cross your finger it works. SATA AHCI drivers can't be installed after WinXP was installed. They can be updated but not installed and actually be used. Due that drivers are tied to the kernel, for efficiency reasons that were required back in the days to run on the slow computers we had.

• 2 weeks later...

-> A floppy drive

xD got it put together and it looks like it runs in IDE mode by default anyway. But I changed my mind and I'm going to put Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit on it. It's b****** fast with my crippled old IDE hard drive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Awesome!

I also have a b****** fast!

lol xD that's funny.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler