The Mosquito Killer Billboard

ahhming

This high-tech billboard is designed by two Brazilian advertising agencies, is lit with fluorescent lights and emits carbon dioxide (meant to simulate mammals exhaling) and a lactic acid-laced mist (meant to simulate sweat) to attract  mosquitoes.The mosquito then crawl into the sign and become trapped, eventually dying. It can attract mosquitoes from as far as 2.5 kilometers away, according to the designers.

Posterscope and NBS, the companies that designed the sign, released all the technical specs online for free, encouraging communities to build their own signs to go with the two prototypes the firms have already installed in Rio de Janeiro.

The companies believe a sign can be built for just under $200 and kill millions of mosquitoes, which may be carrying Zika, or other viral threats like dengue and chikungunya.

The companies believe a sign can be built for just under $200 and kill millions of mosquitoes.

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/21/11477008/mosquito-killer-billboard-brazil-zika-virus

http://cargocollective.com/mosquitokiller/English

wonder if there something similar to this for home usage, summer is approaching and living in a house without air conditioning means keeping open doors and windows day and night. And living on the country side doesn't help at all (other than the amazing dead silent nights, can't complain about that)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I want 2. Or maybe three. 

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

That's amazing for people in the areas affected by zika and malaria 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I'll take ten if they alter them to kill house flies, stink bugs, ladybugs, and wasps as well as mosquito's.

Also spiders. DEATH TO THE INSECT MENACE!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Also spiders. DEATH TO THE INSECT MENACE!

1 hour ago, Agost said:

...spiders are not insects

Insects, arachnids - tomato,potato...

We can all agree that spiders are tiny furry beast from the deepest depths of Tartarus! They share their place in those pits with Geese >_>''' feather demons....

Lets make a killer billboard for those!

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I am curious how often it needs to be emptied of mosquitos and have the bait refilled.

1 hour ago, GeekJump said:

Insects, arachnids - tomato,potato...

We can all agree that spiders are tiny furry beast from the deepest depths of Tartarus! They share their place in those pits with Geese >_>''' feather demons....

Lets make a killer billboard for those!

#NukeThePlanet

Damned nature.

The downside of this is that mosquitoes are food for a lot of species. So wiping out mosquitoes may cause a lot more damage to the environment than most people realize.

7 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

1227744431_1350033482.jpg

Incorrect comics suck. Should have been a mother/daughter joke.

19 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

The downside of this is that mosquitoes are food for a lot of species. So wiping out mosquitoes may cause a lot more damage to the environment than most people realize.

Incorrect comics suck. Should have been a mother/daughter joke.

I'm not sure we'll be able to ever get rid of mosquitos. But the least everyone can do is not kill all the spiders in their homes.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Spiders are good. They kill annoying insects. And the Lizards in turn can eat spiders. The cat swats everything. 

I have bunch of insects, spiders and lizards around my house. They seems to be living together in harmony.

Damn those little disgusting crawlers! 

19 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

#NukeThePlanet

Damned nature.

So you want to kill the insects, and also kill the spiders, that help with limiting the insects.

Now where is my underwear hat?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 minute ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

So you want to kill the insects, and also kill the spiders, that help with limiting the insects.

Now where is my underwear hat?

Obvious joke was obvious.

I do seriously hate all insects though.

22 hours ago, Agost said:

...spiders are not insects

Whatever, they're still the physical embodiment of pure f**king evil, and they must die.

Not to make light of something awful... But...

Finally! Something to counter the zika virus!

37 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

-snip-

God damned spiders,mosquitoes, centipedes, flies, wasps and cockroaches. If worldwide governments developed an extremely effective poison that would be released into the atmosphere and wipe the earth clean out of these devils, we could finally live in a world that is guaranteed to be 85% safer than before. Hell, if possible, include snakes in the plot, and make them pay! All insects we need are the damn Bees and Butterflies, which the wasps only make sure dies constantly. So we should start with the mosquitoes, then the wasps, then the arachnids and finally the friggin cockroaches.

Groomlake Authority

15 hours ago, ElfFriend said:

-snip-

Not really. Mosquito eating species are scarce, and theyr not those animals main food source. Watch DNews Channel, i believe i saw that there. Or perhaps it was on an online article regarding mosquitoes extermination. Anyways, even if we did wipe out 100% of all mosquitoes, the world natural supply chain would remain almost unintact. It would also mean, most people and grazing animals, wouldnt be infected with those terrifying viruses and we could have such silent sleeping sessions :(

Groomlake Authority

7 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Not really. Mosquito eating species are scarce, and theyr not those animals main food source. Watch DNews Channel, i believe i saw that there. Or perhaps it was on an online article regarding mosquitoes extermination. Anyways, even if we did wipe out 100% of all mosquitoes, the world natural supply chain would remain almost unintact. It would also mean, most people and grazing animals, wouldnt be infected with those terrifying viruses and we could have such silent sleeping sessions :(

You're listening to the wrong stuff.

Mosquitos are very important for spreading viruses over large areas. This ensures, that new mutations are spread fast while still being very similar to its "un-mutated" form. That way our immune systems can adapt easily. If a virus can mutate uncontrolled in an isolated area, neither the virus can adapt to make the host survive, nor can the host adapt to the virus. All you can hope for is, that the virus alters itself too much for using humans as hosts.

We're able to extinct mosquitos, flies & Co. for quite some time now. Designing highly specialized bacteria and viruses is anything but hard and actually the most major threat to humanity right now. Anyone with a bit of knowledge, a small laboratory and the right mindset could wipe out humanity.

And on a regional basis there are other methods (that were already used), too. E.g. this over a prolonged time: http://www.israel21c.org/israel-sends-380-million-radioactive-flies-to-croatia/

Found an insanely good deal for a VPS by Time4VPS (Lithuania). Warning: I don't have a lot of experience with them yet, if you had any bad experience, please PM me. /// Warning2 (Sorry, should have added this earlier): Very Low Disk IO

1 x 2.4GHz (E5 2630 v3), 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD cached Raid 6, 500GB Traffic => ~$17.5 (15.84€) + Tax for 2 years (Prebuild Servers)

On 4/21/2016 at 0:56 PM, suicidalfranco said:

wonder if there something similar to this for home usage, summer is approaching and living in a house without air conditioning means keeping open doors and windows day and night. And living on the country side doesn't help at all (other than the amazing dead silent nights, can't complain about that)

It's under 200€, just make one for yourself and put it in your garden or something. (wouldn't put it inside, cuz of the fumes it makes (co² and the acid thing)

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

41 minutes ago, steini1904 said:

-snip-

Insects fightning insects? Man, now that is genius. Maybe make some flies to combat mosquitoes XD? And by a bit of knowledge and a small laboratory, you mean a manic person with the intelligence of Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein and 900,000€ worth of high tech equipment :D?

Groomlake Authority

20 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Maybe make some flies to combat mosquitoes XD?

It works by spreading large amounts of "highly attractive", but infertile mating partners. You can combat mosquitos only with other mosquitos using that way.

22 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

by a bit of knowledge and a small laboratory, you mean a manic person with the intelligence of Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein and 900,000€ worth of high tech equipment :D

You need an isolated, sterile containment, that is equipped with a climate control system. Also, a high quality nutrition solution and some Petri-dishes. Next you need to get your hands on the right kind of bacteria. I won't share here how, but the answer is pretty obvious if you start thinking about where most major bacteria problems are coming from (on a small scale). Maybe you want to invest in a microscope, so you can check if your bacteria cultures are growing. The rest is basic 6th grade biological knowledge and scientific methodology. All you're doing with the bacteria is doing what Gregor Mendel did to peas.

It's a bit more complicated (and a bit more expensive in terms of running costs) with viruses since you need hosts, but not a lot harder.

Means: If you passed basic biology classes at your school, got 20-30 years for cultivating the bacteria or viruses and are willing to make a one-time investment of $1,000-$2,000, you've got all you need for wiping out humanity.

Found an insanely good deal for a VPS by Time4VPS (Lithuania). Warning: I don't have a lot of experience with them yet, if you had any bad experience, please PM me. /// Warning2 (Sorry, should have added this earlier): Very Low Disk IO

1 x 2.4GHz (E5 2630 v3), 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD cached Raid 6, 500GB Traffic => ~$17.5 (15.84€) + Tax for 2 years (Prebuild Servers)

1 hour ago, steini1904 said:

-snip-

O-o! Still tough, 2000$ isnt even enough for Titan X + I7 5960X, Xd.

Groomlake Authority