Steamlink V.S. Pi running SteamOS?

Johnmakuta

Would you suggest getting a Steamlink or a Rapsberry Pi to stream games from my PC? I have a PS4 but I really want to play my PC games at my TV and my HTPC isn't ready yet (waiting for pascal to move my GTX 770 from my main rig to my HTPC). It is worth the $50?

i have acutally tried the pi running steam os. It doesnt work nearly as well as i wish it did. You might as well just get a steam link. You could use in home streaming with your current HTPC.

Its automatic, just press this button!

3 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

i have acutally tried the pi running steam os. It doesnt work nearly as well as i wish it did. You might as well just get a steam link. You could use in home streaming with your current HTPC.

Which version of the Pi? I hear the model 3 is a significant step forward.

model 2b. The 3 might work a lot better, but Im speaking from experience that steam OS doesn't like ARM so much and it makes that known with some pretty annoying problems.

Actually, If OP has an Nvidia card, there is always the wonderful little program called limelight that does what the steamlink does on the Raspberry pi. From what I have heard it works pretty well, but considering the newest nvidia card i have is a gtx280, i haven't been able to test it out.

1 hour ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Actually, If OP has an Nvidia card, there is always the wonderful little program called limelight that does what the steamlink does on the Raspberry pi. From what I have heard it works pretty well, but considering the newest nvidia card i have is a gtx280, i haven't been able to test it out.

I do have my GTX 770 in a rig right now but the PC I was going to steam from has 390s in Xfire

7 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

I do have my GTX 770 in a rig right now but the PC I was going to steam from has 390s in Xfire

Well u can stream to your htpc through steam but steam OS has no arm version so the Pi is out

2 hours ago, Johnmakuta said:

Would you suggest getting a Steamlink or a Rapsberry Pi to stream games from my PC? I have a PS4 but I really want to play my PC games at my TV and my HTPC isn't ready yet (waiting for pascal to move my GTX 770 from my main rig to my HTPC). It is worth the $50?

I would highly suggest the SteamLink over a Pi. Pi's are neat. But they're pretty weak, and general purpose.

For only $50, get a specific purpose built device that is designed to do Steam in-home streaming very well.

The latency is very low, and the performance is smooth. You certainly need a capable gaming PC to stream from, of course. And you definitely want to run the connection over Ethernet if at all possible. AND it can stream games at 1080p60.

I read several reviews, all which were glowing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Well u can stream to your htpc through steam but steam OS has no arm version so the Pi is out

Ok, I have 4 systems I could use:

AMD Phenom 64 x2 with 1 gb ram

Dual core Pentium (not sure which one) on the LGA 775 socket with 2 GBs of ram

AMD FX 8320e with 16 GBs of ram

i5 4690K with 16 GBs of ram (rather not use as I am going to be using it for something) 

do you think the older systems will work or do I need to use one of my newer builds? 

Well the ram is a bit low on the older ones but if you have any ram laying around I'm sure you could make either of those work. If not, then the AMD build will most certainly work and it will do it quite well. If you don't want to use the AMD and the others are not working, the steam link might be the way to go. Personally I stream to my laptop and plug it into my TV with HDMI.

34 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

I do have some old laptops but the only ones that have better specs than the older systems are on use by my brother or I am trying to fix (MacBook having trouble with OSX). I'll look at using the AMD build though I don't have a good case for an HTPC that would fit an ATX board. Any thoughts? Cheap?

having no experience with Ras Pi, i couldn't tell you how well that would work. I would think though that Valve designed the Link specifically for the purpose of streaming, so it might be more effective for the money you would spend.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown