FOX News reports that GTA 5 trains millions of people to become the killers of tomorrow

TopWargamer

BULL crap . . . I don't play the games because I don't like the thought of committing even virtual crimes - grand theft auto, killing police, what ever else you do in the games. Even in other games (such as the Elder Scrolls) I STILL  won't lockpick closed shops or go around killing needless citizens.

This is a very interesting observation. You CHOOSE not to lockpick and that's all there is to it, you will not lockpick in real life and for some reason you will not lockpick inside games... That's nice you keep your morality inside games xD

But anyway guys, have you ever played Postal 2? It's as violent as the gamer wants. If you dont want you dont have to kill a lot... but if you want you could do HORRIBLE things in this game.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/19/grand-theft-auto-v-sales-set-record-why-are-surprised-when-virtual-violence/

So, personally, I disagree with this, and imagine that all of you do as well. Me and my dad (who also plays games) just had a little discussion on this article. Now first off, we both agree that GTA and games like it are well, bad, as in the content that are in them, and we both (kind of) agree that these kind of games don't cause people to become killers. 

Now, here's where we first disagreed. He says that these types of games can cause people to lower their moral standards, and personally I disagree. Just because I'm doing drugs, killing people, hiring prostitutes, etc. in a video game does not mean that it will lower my moral standards. If you disagree, sue me. If anything, these types of games definitely don't help you raise your moral standards, but they do help you get out any kind of frustration and whatnot. How so? By taking it out in the game. How I see it, if you take it out on the game, then you're more likely to calm yourself down and act more well, normal. 

Another thing we disagreed about was what the article was interpreting. I mean, to me, it's pretty clear that FOX is saying that people who play GTA 5 will become killers. I mean, it just does sound this way, and if that's not what they meant, then find better writers. So my dad thought that, that was the question being brought up (aka, "Do these kinds of games make you a killer?"). Again, it's pretty clear that's not what the article is interpreting. I think he's just trying to justify it because he does actually watch FOX. So whatever. 

What are your thoughts on the matter?

John S. Dickersonexternal-link.png  is author of the book “The Great Evangelical Recession: 6 Factors that Will Crash the American Church…and How to Prepareexternal-link.png

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/19/grand-theft-auto-v-sales-set-record-why-are-surprised-when-virtual-violence/#ixzz2fWBRvSbU

This is what I read under that article.

Holy fuck, another Christian psychopath...

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Now, here's where we first disagreed. He says that these types of games can cause people to lower their moral standards, and personally I disagree. Just because I'm doing drugs, killing people, hiring prostitutes, etc. in a video game does not mean that it will lower my moral standards. If you disagree, sue me. If anything, these types of games definitely don't help you raise your moral standards, but they do help you get out any kind of frustration and whatnot. How so? By taking it out in the game. How I see it, if you take it out on the game, then you're more likely to calm yourself down and act more well, normal. 

Though I don't agree with lowering their moral standards, I think I understand what he means; you get to see things like violence and references to drugs and alcohol

that it must've seem that, back in the good ol' days, things are far nicer.

However I must protest that, the good old days do have their fair share of troubles, the ones we're facing is just our version of their problems - so though it puts a different

mask on, the time has changed, but it doesn't mean that today is far worse than in the yester years...

In term of this argument of taking it out in game however, I think as though most people do this - or at least admitted to do this, I think your dad just

think more of let's say fishing is more relaxing, calms you down and what not; so whereas the concept of playing a game and be relaxed with shooting

pedestrian, it might be a bit harder for him to see that from your perspective.

It's not everyone's way to calm themselves with shooting things, however - yes for those who can take it out on that, it would be a good game to take it out on.

It's similar to if one's meditate or fishing, or any other activities that alleviate stress; game is just one such thing.

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

So someone who has views that appose yours, they are a Psychopath? While I disagree with the article it's his view. In some cases we DO KNOW games can lead people to do crazy things. But it's not really the games fault. They should never have been able to buy the game, and the family should have stepped in.

But that doesn't make the man a Christian Psychopath. Name calling is uncalled for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go again, a new game comes out and this topic pops up again. What was written in that opinion piece is so one sided that it is dangerous. It bypasses the real issues and go straight to scapegoating. Trying to find a solution like that will never work. Taking 3-5 people out of millions and equating their acts to one of their pass time is completely moronic. You would never do this if it was say baseball or hockey.

Did we see a rise in street races in the past 10 years when games like need for speed or midnight club were selling millions? Did we see a rise in theft and home invasions with the rise of RPGs?

Come on now, let's just use a bit of common sense. What all those murderers had in common was not video games, it was mental issues. Thats one of the area where the problem lies. The second is the media itself, it is toxic. Filled with misconception, opinions not based on any sort of truth and some people sitting all day watching it and seeing it as gospel. Then their is the issue of glamorizing these killers every time it happens. Leads some to believe they can become infamous. Was the dark knight blamed for the shooting in Aurora? The guy walked in saying he was bane, but no its a movie so it can't cause that.

Those are just a couple of examples of real issues. Can we actually tackle them instead? ( retorical question, the answer is no)

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

Stop right there. When you try to censor someone's point of view, you have crossed a line in my book. We could go into things, but that isn't for here. Who made you God and King to decide what someone believes in. Yes I watch Fox News, but I also watch other networks as well. So this is personally offensive. You're no better a person than the IRS! Why don't you leave if you don't like the articles people read/use.

As the person right above you stated, this is an opinion article by someone with no ties that I can tell, to Fox News. Instead the original poster tied it to Fox News. Was Putin an employee of The Times when he wrote and published his opinion piece?

This is by no means an attempt to restrict freedom of speech of any users on this forum but a request of courtesy based on:

1. The source (Fox News) is not a credible source of tech news.

2. Judging from the first page of results, it bothers a fair number of other users on the forum as well.

And for the record, my first post wasn't directed at this particular story as the original poster has posted two "Fox News says" threads in recent memory.

So someone who has views that appose yours, they are a Psychopath? While I disagree with the article it's his view. In some cases we DO KNOW games can lead people to do crazy things. But it's not really the games fault. They should never have been able to buy the game, and the family should have stepped in.

But that doesn't make the man a Christian Psychopath. Name calling is uncalled for.

I called him another Christian psychopath who doesn't understand his surroundings and the only thing he believes in is some imaginary 'god' who loves everybody and that's why he made a world full of pain. Right.

I'm not calling out the religion, i'm calling out the man who believes in God... those kind of people are very likely to perceive the nature of things in a very different manner, so to speak. I have no problem with beliefs or people who worship gods, it's just that rarely, some people among them are really mad and can't think clearly.

And now that article makes sense, simply:

nax10.jpg

the reason people kill is simple we are all animals and animals are unpredictable. its not because of video games or movies its just nature its in us to kill.

This is by no means an attempt to restrict freedom of speech of any users on this forum but a request of courtesy based on:

1. The source (Fox News) is not a credible source of tech news.

2. Judging from the first page of results, it bothers a fair number of other users on the forum as well.

And for the record, my first post wasn't directed at this particular story as the original poster has posted two "Fox News says" threads in recent memory.

So Fox News isn't credible by what standard besides your own? Did you know they have a section dedicated to tech news? And you are censoring people, whether you want to admit it or not. You even called Fox News Warmongering. You are NOT a Moderator, you are a member, a junior member at that according to your profile. Why don't you stop telling people what sources they can and can't use, and stop trying to act like a moderator.

The military spends billions of dollars to train people how to kill. I paid $60 and now apparently im a trained killer. SWEET!

I've had a lot of mental issues in my time and honestly, video games have helped me cope with these issues.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I was waiting for the inevitable "GTA turns people into killers" news report. They're only going to contribute to R*'s sales. People that don't know about GTA (who doesn't?) will probably go out and buy it

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

The video games are never to blame. It's either the mental health or parenting. Sure, a game could put the idea to do something in someones head, but if they go and do it, there's obviously some mental health issue that isn't being addressed. If it's a kid, it's the parents responsibility to monitor what their kids consume. If video games are causing issue with the child, the parent should be keeping the child from playing. All this ever comes down to is mental health and parenting.

As for these news reports blaming video games, all we can do is ignore them. Don't get them the time of day, don't give them views.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/19/grand-theft-auto-v-sales-set-record-why-are-surprised-when-virtual-violence/

So, personally, I disagree with this, and imagine that all of you do as well. Me and my dad (who also plays games) just had a little discussion on this article. Now first off, we both agree that GTA and games like it are well, bad, as in the content that are in them, and we both (kind of) agree that these kind of games don't cause people to become killers. 

Another thing we disagreed about was what the article was interpreting. I mean, to me, it's pretty clear that FOX is saying that people who play GTA 5 will become killers. I mean, it just does sound this way, and if that's not what they meant, then find better writers. So my dad thought that, that was the question being brought up (aka, "Do these kinds of games make you a killer?"). Again, it's pretty clear that's not what the article is interpreting. I think he's just trying to justify it because he does actually watch FOX. So whatever. 

What are your thoughts on the matter?

i actually agree to a degree with fox news on this one. games like cod, bf, halo, gow, etc. all have a barrier or some such from reality. this doesn't have anything like that. all you are is a murdering thug. how can anyone honestly like this?

Yeah, the people that have this opinion are uneducated in the matter. But you know what's equally as bad? People that take the opinion of a few and construe them as the opinions of an entire news network. Get a brain people.

Stop right there. When you try to censor someone's point of view, you have crossed a line in my book. We could go into things, but that isn't for here. Who made you God and King to decide what someone believes in. Yes I watch Fox News, but I also watch other networks as well. So this is personally offensive. You're no better a person than the IRS! Why don't you leave if you don't like the articles people read/use.

As the person right above you stated, this is an opinion article by someone with no ties that I can tell, to Fox News. Instead the original poster tied it to Fox News. Was Putin an employee of The Times when he wrote and published his opinion piece?

No one is censoring anyone, calm down.

Fox News is shit. Same goes for CNN and MSNBC. All of them lean left or right and don't focus on the real issues. All major news outlets are propaganda machines that anyone with open eyes can see. Half the time something is on the news, it's stupid filler that distracts people from what's really going on. This BS "news" that playing a game like GTA turns people into murderers or Miley Cyrus twerking. It's all crap and isn't real news. -- It's entertainment for the masses. You won't find real news on the mainstream media, not unedited to fit an agenda. Shame we have to depend on leaked documents to find out what's actually going on in the world.

Well, we all know what Rupert Murdoch's views on video games are now :)

Compatible with Windows 95

Ratings grab

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I'm not sure what else you expected from Fox News / Rupert Murdoch

I need more SSDs.

Don't pay them any attention. It's just a bunch of right-wing American nutjobs who are paid to point the finger of blame at anything but guns. 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

its fox -_- they have trash talked every game that you can either shoot o see partial nudity or anything that is M rated, once they made a report about mass effect a few weeks after launch calling it the "sexbox" or something stupid like that pretty much trash talking the game popularity on the xbox, funny thing the game sales triplicated the next week :)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here