MSI Vortex G65 Un-build Log

Looks interesting. Just curious, what is he using to change his cameras?

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

cool

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

1 minute ago, 1Revenger1 said:

mini Bluetooth keyboard

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

1 minute ago, 1Revenger1 said:

I think just Xsplit.

Just now, nicklmg said:

I think just Xsplit.

Oh. You probably mean what device. Derp.

It's a tiny bluetooth keyboard, the same one he uses in his pocket for the teleprompter. I have no idea what the product name is - @LinusTech?

4 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Oh. You probably mean what device. Derp.

It's a tiny bluetooth keyboard, the same one he uses in his pocket for the teleprompter. I have no idea what the product name is - @LinusTech?

Is it this?

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

1 minute ago, adams said:

Is it this?

Looks right :)

Ouch!  What a nightmare of a system for the technician who has to do stuff like replace something like that CMOS battery (which certainly have been known to fail prematurely!).

I'm impressed by the industrial design, but seriously, would never buy one. 

I suspect those mounting braces provide for a +12VDC bus or similar to power everything.  There is no way the 40A+ of that power supply is going through those little wires.

The PCH is actually that little green chip with an exposed die on the bottom interconnect board. The ribbon connector from the interconnect board to the mainboard says PCH on the interconnect board end because the PCH is on the interconnect board, same with those connecting the I/O daughterboard to the interconnect board.

30 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

I suspect those mounting braces provide for a +12VDC bus or similar to power everything.  There is no way the 40A+ of that power supply is going through those little wires.

Correct, there's an annotation in the video that says so

Linus couldn't destroy CES this year so he waited patiently to do this savagery and it is just as wonderful.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Where's the episode 2? -"Linus putting that stuff back together" to prove his screw notes work :D

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

Where's the episode 2? -"Linus putting that stuff back together" to prove his screw notes work :D

Just play the video in reverse. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This week in Tech YouTubers. People review phones, printers and news. Yet here is Linus taking apart a cylinder.

2 hours ago, SaperPL said:

What I wanted is a short clip of them packaging it the way it is to send to MSI disassembled. 

Might want to edit and add some text to the video again...unfortunately while not labeled or described clearly by MSI, those GPU's are IN FACT GTX 980m's, interestingly they each have 8GB VRAM instead of 4 on the full PC Cards but it doesn't make enough of a difference as it didn't beat a real 980 in a single test.

Linus said at least twice that they weren't the m (notebook) version. Here is a link for a review with benchmarks. This PC is NOT worth it's price tag.

http://www.pcgamer.com/msi-vortex-review/

Pretty awesome tear down though.

You know, it's really very uncool of MSI. They are clearly, intentionally trying to mislead people, calling these 980's. They clearly aren't. Not only are they trying to scam with false advertising, they are screwing with your integrity and the integrity of your channel by giving you false information which you are disseminating to your subscribers. That's a serious NO-NO! And to think, as I am planning my next build I was looking at MSI boards...but I'm just gonna stick with ASUS, at least they don't need to falsify specs to get sales and results. It's shocking, they are clearly saying, even on their own site that these are full blown 980 gpu's...just, WOW!!

4 hours ago, Qrtrmstr2k said:

Might want to edit and add some text to the video again...unfortunately while not labeled or described clearly by MSI, those GPU's are IN FACT GTX 980m's, interestingly they each have 8GB VRAM instead of 4 on the full PC Cards but it doesn't make enough of a difference as it didn't beat a real 980 in a single test.

Linus said at least twice that they weren't the m (notebook) version. Here is a link for a review with benchmarks. This PC is NOT worth it's price tag.

You know, it's really very uncool of MSI. They are clearly, intentionally trying to mislead people, calling these 980's. They clearly aren't. Not only are they trying to scam with false advertising, they are screwing with your integrity and the integrity of your channel by giving you false information which you are disseminating to your subscribers. That's a serious NO-NO! And to think, as I am planning my next build I was looking at MSI boards...but I'm just gonna stick with ASUS, at least they don't need to falsify specs to get sales and results. It's shocking, they are clearly saying, even on their own site that these are full blown 980 gpu's...just, WOW!!

Even if they were full desktop versions it wouldn't be worth the price. Good catch man. I just built my beast of a system for 4500 and it blows that thing out of the water.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

5 hours ago, Qrtrmstr2k said:

You are not correct here... They're the MXM versions of the full-fat GTX 980. The chips that were announced at this Nvidia event last year and used in this Sager notebook.

Not once in that PCGamer article that you linked does the writer even refer to the GPUs as GTX 980Ms...

Next time please have your facts straight before you start talking about "false information which [we] are disseminating to [our] subscribers."

Ah, but you see, they are full desktop 980s.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, mikat said:

25k views on an LTT video? dang

Lol it's from 6 years ago! We didn't ALWAYS have 2.5 million subscribers... :P

where did you get the information from that it doesn't have 2 980s?

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

You are not correct here... They're the MXM versions of the full-fat GTX 980. The chips that were announced at this Nvidia event last year and used in this Sager notebook.

Not once in that PCGamer article that you linked does the writer even refer to the GPUs as GTX 980Ms...

Next time please have your facts straight before you start talking about "false information which [we] are disseminating to [our] subscribers."

Apparently you should re-read the article, it's clearly in there...he states the same reason I went looking to begin with, the power consumption alone doesn't add up. I have a 980 reference card and nVidia recommends 500w for it. The psu in this PC isn't even 500w and it's running TWO 980's??? Ridiculous!!! 

Those are 980m gpu's in the tower...re-read the article, it's in there. But as I said, look at a 980 box, google it, the psu isn't enough to run one 980 card, let alone two of them.

AND...

I'm not jumping you...I'm annoyed at MSI...they simply describe the gpu's as 980. That's very misleading. The average person is going to see that and get taken for a ride...

I'm not blaming Linus...that's not his fault. We all only have the info we're givin from the vendor until we do benchmarks to see what the real deal is. This video clearly isn't a benchmark test, it's a tear down...Linus simply went off of what is a "trusted" vendor...except this time, this vendor has decided not to be 100% clear about what is up with that machine...it's way way way overpriced for what it is. Even the article was clear about that. You could build a similar PC using 980 Ti's and still save a boat load of money. They're asking people to pay for a radically customized pc and aren't being forthcoming about the hardware inside of it. That's not Linus's fault. It's theirs and it's not cool. 

Really cool note Linus is the power is not actually delivered only via the cable but the L brackets. I doubt they could handle that many amps. I could almost guarantee that you could test one of the brackets against the ground and find a short. They are capable of handling plenty of wattage to power the individual parts.