A thought on SLI and Crossfire

YongKang

Hello guys, I just had this thought when I was searching for a good mobo for my future build. Is SLI and Crossfire even worth it with the raise of more powerful single card gpu? At what crowd is it aiming at? Is the performance that you're getting that earth shattering? From what I see, you'll only get a 30% performance increase. I also wonder if it's gonna help with programs like AutoCAD and 3D drawing programs.(going into engineering) At which resolution it's relevant to SLI or Crossfire?

Post your answers and thoughts down below. It might help out other people. :)

2 minutes ago, YongKang said:

Hello guys, I just had this thought when I was searching for a good mobo for my future build. Is SLI and Crossfire even worth it with the raise of more powerful single card gpu? At what crowd is it aiming at? Is the performance that you're getting that earth shattering? From what I see, you'll only get a 30% performance increase. I also wonder if it's gonna help with programs like AutoCAD and 3D drawing programs.(going into engineering) At which resolution it's relevant to SLI or Crossfire?

Performance increase depends on how well optimized the individual program is for multi-GPU. Some games get near 100% scaling, some get almost no benefit.

4 minutes ago, YongKang said:

No, just get a better gpu in the first place, too many issues with sli and crossfire...unless you're running 4k

Depends on a lot of things. Sli much more widely supported now than it used to be. I run 2 970s and have yet to run into an sli related issue 

1 minute ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Depends on a lot of things. Sli much more widely supported now than it used to be. I run 2 970s and have yet to run into an sli related issue 

In your opinion, does the extra performance worth the extra money you paid for your extra 970? Also, at what res you're playing and what game? Do you use your PC for professional purpose too? 

9 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

No, just get a better gpu in the first place, too many issues with sli and crossfire...unless you're running 4k

A single gpu option is always better. But I wanted to know why people want to sli or crossfire and for what reason. :)

6 minutes ago, YongKang said:

A single gpu option is always better. But I wanted to know why people want to sli or crossfire and for what reason. :)

Usually for resolutions higher than 1080p....apart from 2560x1080

that's just crap. 21:9 is crap

I always prefer 2 cards. As games need more and more and screens get wider or using multiple, one card won't cut it. Won't benefit with rendering having more cards. Not most programs anyway. 

Card will depend on the res you play at. 1440 or higher I would use a 980ti or equivalent. Anything less then 1440 a 980 or lower will work. But that depends on how many frames u prefer and if you would want a card that can perform better in rendering. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, YongKang said:

In your opinion, does the extra performance worth the extra money you paid for your extra 970? Also, at what res you're playing and what game? Do you use your PC for professional purpose too? 

Yeah, I ran at 5760x1080 for a while on one, and it did it but wasn't always smooth. With two it was incredibly smooth and had consistent high framerate. Rn I'm running a 1440p 144hz monitor and have zero stutters. I don't do much productivity, but for games 2 970s outperforms 980tis titans all of it. And never have i run into any issues with vram, thats all a load of bs

I went the SLI route, instead of paying £699 for a 980ti when they where released I just bought a second hand GTX 780 for £180 and now I have the same performance as 980ti. I'll probably do the same when Pascal/Polaris comes out.