New Mobo, CPU, and RAM = Won't boot

I cannot get my rig to boot up at all. I got a i5-6600k paired with an evo along with an h170a pc mate mobo. r9 280x. returned a z170 and tried to see if another mobo would fix it but looks like it's not the mobo.

the motherboard lights up blue and that's it. the jumper cables are where they should be. Tried a different PSU = didnt work. very frustrated! any help would be rad. 

This sounds stupid I would double check to make sure the power supply is actually turned on and also make sure the 24 pin is fully connected. I would then try using one stick of ram. 

6 minutes ago, chrittaz said:

I cannot get my rig to boot up at all. I got a i5-6600k paired with an evo along with an h170a pc mate mobo. r9 280x. returned a z170 and tried to see if another mobo would fix it but looks like it's not the mobo.

the motherboard lights up blue and that's it. the jumper cables are where they should be. Tried a different PSU = didnt work. very frustrated! any help would be rad. 

Not to be that guy but let's do some sanity checks.

• Is the 24-pin ATX power cable connected to the motherboard?
  • Are both 4-pin EPS connectors plugged into the motherboard?
  • Will it boot with only ONE stick of RAM plugged into any of the 4 slots?

Given that the motherboard power light does indeed come on, we know it's receiving some kind of signal from the power supply.

Plus, you've tried another power supply (which I assume is a known-working supply) so that eliminates that.

The only thing left is bad or incorrectly seated RAM, or a defective CPU as a worst case scenario.

The i5-6600k is on the compatibility list, so that's a good sign too. 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, Codymm03 said:

Try one stick of ram 

or a different one

Doesn't work. Tried every slot but that doesn't work either. I only have one 8 gig stick by the way. thank you for the rapid response

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

Not to be that guy but let's do some sanity checks.

• Is the 24-pin ATX power cable connected to the motherboard?
  • Are both 4-pin EPS connectors plugged into the motherboard?
  • Will it boot with only ONE stick of RAM plugged into any of the 4 slots?

Given that the motherboard power light does indeed come on, we know it's receiving some kind of signal from the power supply.

Plus, you've tried another power supply (which I assume is a known-working supply) so that eliminates that.

The only thing left is bad or incorrectly seated RAM, or a defective CPU as a worst case scenario.

The i5-6600k is on the compatibility list, so that's a good sign too. 

2 hours ago, striker477 said:

This sounds stupid I would double check to make sure the power supply is actually turned on and also make sure the 24 pin is fully connected. I would then try using one stick of ram. 

Checked all of what you guys said. Everything is plugged in properly and snug. No luck at all. I only have one stick of ram (8gig) as well. I'm kind of leaning towards my ram being at fault maybe. I don't think it is the CPU. I literally didnt do anything to it.

1 minute ago, chrittaz said:

Checked all of what you guys said. Everything is plugged in properly and snug. No luck at all. I only have one stick of ram (8gig) as well. I'm kind of leaning towards my ram being at fault maybe. I don't think it is the CPU. I literally didnt do anything to it.

Alright, well the next step is to see if you have a friend with DDR4 RAM and test it out.

Or maybe a shop will let you bring your machine in and just test RAM on the spot.

Worst case, pickup a stick of DDR4 at a store, bring it home, test it. If it works, bingo, problem solved.

Then you can return the temporary stick and buy good RAM, or just keep it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

Alright, well the next step is to see if you have a friend with DDR4 RAM and test it out.

Or maybe a shop will let you bring your machine in and just test RAM on the spot.

Worst case, pickup a stick of DDR4 at a store, bring it home, test it. If it works, bingo, problem solved.

Thank you! I will report back and let you guys know what happened. Thanks for the help

9 minutes ago, kirashi said:

And if you can't find a friend try this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-kvr21n15s84

its not uncommon for ram to die Austin had it happen in scrapyard wars and I had it happen a month ago. Mine was working fine for a year then stopped and wouldn't boot. I did a RMA on the set of hyperx DDR3

Try a new stick of ram. Also, unplug case USB/Firewire headers.  If a case has a plug with a short it will prevent your MB from powering on or it will work intermittently.

14.png 

Also if this helps when I first tried to boot my PC one of the fans lit up and spun for 1 second then turned off. It never did that again .This happened for both of the motherboards I tested with. 

2 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Try a new stick of ram. Also, unplug case USB/Firewire headers.  If a case has a plug with a short it will prevent your MB from powering on or it will work intermittently.

14.png 

tried the USB headers unpluged. No luck. Going back to the store tomorrow to do an exchange for my ram.

If you don't get anything out of the RAM swap then I'd breadboard it (build it outside of the case) because it kind of sounds like a short of some sort. You do have the standoffs in right? Possibly a bad CPU too I guess, sounds like about the only thing you haven't swapped out.. sounds highly unlikely but it could happen. Especially if somehow you bent it or it cracked or something from perhaps putting on a cpu cooler on too tight. Not accusing you of that just tossing the relative info out there. 

19 hours ago, DunePilot said:

If you don't get anything out of the RAM swap then I'd breadboard it (build it outside of the case) because it kind of sounds like a short of some sort. You do have the standoffs in right? Possibly a bad CPU too I guess, sounds like about the only thing you haven't swapped out.. sounds highly unlikely but it could happen. Especially if somehow you bent it or it cracked or something from perhaps putting on a cpu cooler on too tight. Not accusing you of that just tossing the relative info out there. 

Seems like it wasn't the ram. It's either the case at this point or my cpu.  I will try to build it without a case 

not the case either .I tried it without the case. 

Okay then might be a dead motherboard IDK

20 hours ago, Codymm03 said:

And if you can't find a friend try this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-kvr21n15s84

its not uncommon for ram to die Austin had it happen in scrapyard wars and I had it happen a month ago. Mine was working fine for a year then stopped and wouldn't boot.

2 hours ago, Codymm03 said:

Okay then might be a dead motherboard IDK

Unfortunately it's not the mobo. I tried a different mobo and it didn't work either. just got a replacement CPU. hopefully this works.. literally last thing on the checklist. 

Don't manhandle it when you put the heatsink on, perhaps you hairline cracked the last one. Not accusing you of it just tossing it out there. A doa CPU is extremely rare. All you need to do is get it finger tight pretty much and maybe a 1/4 more turn. You just want to ensure good contact between the IHS and the heatsink. Goodluck figuring it out. 

Don't manhandle it when you put the heatsink on, perhaps you hairline cracked the last one. Not accusing you of it just tossing it out there. A doa CPU is extremely rare. All you need to do is get it finger tight pretty much and maybe a 1/4 more turn. You just want to ensure good contact between the IHS and the heatsink. Goodluck figuring it out. 

Tried a different CPU. Didn't work... I'm literally running out of ideas. I tried everything. :/

3 minutes ago, chrittaz said:

Tried a different CPU. Didn't work... I'm literally running out of ideas. I tried everything. :/

Can you explain again what it's doing, nothing no power, no lights, no case fans, nothing? Are you trying more than just the power switch on the case? Shorting the pins or pressing the power button directly on the motherboard (to eliminate the case of a bad case power button)?

Can you explain again what it's doing, nothing no power, no lights, no case fans, nothing? Are you trying more than just the power switch on the case? Shorting the pins or pressing the power button directly on the motherboard (to eliminate the case of a bad case power button)?

The motherboard lights up with one blue led by the pci slots, so I know I'm getting power. When I first tried to boot it up one of the fans turned on and shut off after one second and it didn't do that again. Happened for both motherboards. Tried to change out the ram. Nothing worked.I tried to short the pin and that didnt work either and I don't think I have a power button on my mobo. I have a H170A PC Mate mobo.

Breadboard it or make sure you have it on standoffs in the case. Unplug all fans other than the cpu fan, have it in the correct CPU fan header. 1 stick of ram, no GPU or other PCI-e cards, no case USB or firewire, no SATA cables or hard drives, no front IO....

Nothing but 24 pin and 8 pin, and CPU fan plugged in and 1 stick of ram. Try it and see what you get. If it comes on for a split second then flip the PSU off wait 10 seconds, reset CMOS, and flip the power back on and try to boot back up.... see if it POST. 

Ok can you give more information about all the components in the build please. is it a fresh build, or a mix of old and new components, nobody has suggested hard drives !!!

have you got new hard drives or old ones with old data and drivers on it?

you should also try to flash the bios before turning on the first time, see if you can rest the bios and then cmos, and then flash the bios with the latest from the official website.

i think its an incompatibility problem between some of the components or drivers.

hope this helps.

try a formatted hard drive and fresh install. after flashing the bios.

14 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Breadboard it or make sure you have it on standoffs in the case. Unplug all fans other than the cpu fan, have it in the correct CPU fan header. 1 stick of ram, no GPU or other PCI-e cards, no case USB or firewire, no SATA cables or hard drives, no front IO....

Nothing but 24 pin and 8 pin, and CPU fan plugged in and 1 stick of ram. Try it and see what you get. If it comes on for a split second then flip the PSU off wait 10 seconds, reset CMOS, and flip the power back on and try to boot back up.... see if it POST. 

Does not boot at all. Light from the mobo is still lit. 

19 hours ago, i-deluxe said:

Ok can you give more information about all the components in the build please. is it a fresh build, or a mix of old and new components, nobody has suggested hard drives !!!

have you got new hard drives or old ones with old data and drivers on it?

you should also try to flash the bios before turning on the first time, see if you can rest the bios and then cmos, and then flash the bios with the latest from the official website.

i think its an incompatibility problem between some of the components or drivers.

hope this helps.

try a formatted hard drive and fresh install. after flashing the bios.

I'm using my existing R9 280x. Same HDD. Same SSD. Same case.

Got a new motherboard. New CPU. New Ram. New PSU (thinking that it was the PSU at fault) 

I got the new PSU today which was pretty much my last resort and that didn't work either. I  had the CPU and ram replaced thinking I got defectives but still no boot. 

I've tried to breadboard it only connecting it via 24 pin and 8 pin, CPU heatsink/fan in and 1 stick of ram. Jumper for power-switch. Still no boot. :(! 

i've tried to reset CMOS.. no luck either.