Terrible sound quality after doing a system restore

dukethedj
Go to solution Solved by dukethedj,
22 hours ago, Enderman said:

event viewer just shows you all the logs and you can see the errors of stuff that goes wrong

sometimes you can fix them by googling the error and finding someone that has solved it

most of the time there are tens or hundreds of errors though, so clean install is the best option

So I did a clean install and I got stereo to work properly but its my headphones that are just doing something. I guess my phone had a massive bass boost enabled. I don't know how they could do this, though. I kept the volume and bass at a reasonable level, but I guess things just happen. Thanks for the help.

So I just finished with a system restore on my PC and there is absolutely no low end and it sounds like I am listening to some overly compressed mp3s. Sound also seems to be leaning toward the right even though I have them both equal. It was fine yesterday, but after doing a system restore to a backup from yesterday, it sounds terrible. I have a Xonar DGX and Siberia v3's and the settings are exactly the same. I reinstalled the xonar drivers, tried 3rd party ones, and tried different sound devices. Is there anyway to fix this? I looked around online and found that people said to turn off "enhancements" in the advanced tab but I don't have that option.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

6 minutes ago, dukethedj said:

So I just finished with a system restore on my PC and there is absolutely no low end and it sounds like I am listening to some overly compressed mp3s. Sound also seems to be leaning toward the right even though I have them both equal. It was fine yesterday, but after doing a system restore to a backup from yesterday, it sounds terrible. I have a Xonar DGX and Siberia v3's and the settings are exactly the same. I reinstalled the xonar drivers, tried 3rd party ones, and tried different sound devices. Is there anyway to fix this? I looked around online and found that people said to turn off "enhancements" in the advanced tab but I don't have that option.

Install latest drivers?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Install latest drivers?

I did do that, both first and 3rd party versions.

7 minutes ago, dukethedj said:

Had the same issue, try pulling the plug out just a little bit and turning it. That's what fixed my issue

try uninstalling the drivers then reinstalling them again maybe something got corupted 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, mattbatc said:

Had the same issue, try pulling the plug out just a little bit and turning it. That's what fixed my issue

Nope. It seems to be software

why would you do a system restore?

do a proper clean install and these issues wont happen

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, dukethedj said:

Nope. It seems to be software

Try RealTek audio drivers

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

why would you do a system restore?

do a proper clean install and these issues wont happen

I was restoring from my NAS and I really didn't want to go through downloading everything again

4 minutes ago, dukethedj said:

I was restoring from my NAS and I really didn't want to go through downloading everything

yeah well windows sucks at upgrading or restoring or repairing parts of the OS

it messes up often, which is why if you ever need to move to a new drive or anything like that, you should always do a clean install

it seems like the restore process also messed up in your case

there may be some strange way of fixing your sound issue but there is probably a lot more that is messed up that you dont know about

like, go to event viewer and look at all the errors that are probably there

most of the time a clean install is the only thing that will fix a screwed up OS

this is why you should take the time to do a proper clean install in the first place, and you save yourself the time of restoring or cloning or whatever it is that messed up the OS

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah well windows sucks at upgrading or restoring or repairing parts of the OS

it messes up often, which is why if you ever need to move to a new drive or anything like that, you should always do a clean install

it seems like the restore process also messed up in your case

there may be some strange way of fixing your sound issue but there is probably a lot more that is messed up that you dont know about

like, go to event viewer and look at all the errors that are probably there

most of the time a clean install is the only thing that will fix a screwed up OS

this is why you should take the time to do a proper clean install in the first place, and you save yourself the time of restoring or cloning or whatever it is that messed up the OS

I guess you are right, it also messed up winload.exe

But what should I be looking for in the event viewer?

3 minutes ago, dukethedj said:

I guess you are right, it also messed up winload.exe

But what should I be looking for in the event viewer?

event viewer just shows you all the logs and you can see the errors of stuff that goes wrong

sometimes you can fix them by googling the error and finding someone that has solved it

most of the time there are tens or hundreds of errors though, so clean install is the best option

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Enderman said:

So I did a clean install and I got stereo to work properly but its my headphones that are just doing something. I guess my phone had a massive bass boost enabled. I don't know how they could do this, though. I kept the volume and bass at a reasonable level, but I guess things just happen. Thanks for the help.