Project Ice Queen - Inspired by Scrapyard Wars

Corwin111

Before

oHfu1Pb.jpg

After

BIvRoHH.jpg

Watching Scrapyard Wars, I have always found myself thinking - "Gee, I should try this".

This will not be my personal rig, I just decided to find some used parts online, put them into a new case, prettify it and... well I haven't quite figured out the "and' yet.

So here goes.

So far I have gotten a pretty banged up, but not too shabby used PC at a very nice price. i5-2500k, ASUS P8P67 LE mobo, 16 GB of 1333 A-Data memory, 2TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM HDD, A 500W Fortron Saga II 80+ PSU and a pretty ballin' looking old-school Zalman CNSP9900 All-Copper CPU cooler with a blue LED fan. These are the parts that I intend to use. It also comes with a banged up case that I can not invision using for anything, as well as a GTX 460 and a CD-RW, which I will probably keep for something else or sell off. Otherwise, the machine has been tested extensively and works without a hitch.

In place of the GTX 460 I found a guy selling what he claims is a "brand new" MSI GTX 970 Gaming pretty cheaply. I will test it and see if everything is ok. If it is, into the Ice Queen it goes. If not - I'll find some other good GPU offer.

I intend to buy a small amount of new things. A NZXT S340 case (White), a 120GB Intel 530 Series SSD for OS and a couple of games at a time, as well as four blue after-market memory heatsinks, not because they will do much heatsinking, but because these bare A-Data modules that I have will be sticking out like a sore thumb in this beauty otherwise. I may end up painting the latter white, we'll see.

So here's the preliminary plan:

Put this

Spoiler

oHfu1Pb.jpg

And this

Spoiler

msi-geforce-gtx-970-gaming-4gb.jpg

Into this

Spoiler

81iFWqu2NbL._SL1500_.jpg

Then I will paint the red parts of the GPU shroud white, add all white sleeved PSU cable extensions and run a blue LED strip along the edges of the case.

Well, that's it for now. I will post updates as I go along.

Update: Day 1 - Waste management and LEDs ^^

Spoiler

xll2NEQ.jpgDOEkWik.jpgRW4hzH3.jpgrF8RgBD.jpgVtT1V4f.jpg

R2qoIPo.jpgwEQ3OIL.jpg6sC9BYd.jpgZcId8wd.jpg0UvqP8D.jpg

3inUYuo.jpg

So far so good. Now put on your gas masks! :D

Spoiler

5EMCTyA.jpg1BDncrD.jpgPP8OWK3.jpgrjf1Lmq.jpgmmqutRF.jpg

IDRU293.jpgwkwj4yB.jpg

uK0jWZs.jpghD6OPHr.jpggLXkVGo.jpg

fJuvzXA.jpg

That's it for today. The GPU comes in tomorrow. Painting, sleeving and cable management to follow... :)

Update: Day 2 - Sleeving and painting

Spoiler

At this point the house is a mess:

C8wjAvh.jpg

And my dawgs are tired! ^^

qTdpcUj.jpg

But the 970 came in today and it even works fine!  So on we go with painting and sleeving. :)

Spoiler

lQ9zjZr.jpgD5NSB4v.jpg10747077291a4084bc6137331014e5cd.png

wufj4pF.jpgAAwdBPH.jpgg8a5LTr.jpg

krG6dAO.jpg

xqFaD0U.jpg

So far so good. Unfortunately, my pesky real job interupted the process yet again. I will pick this up tomorrow and likely finish the build. After that, a load of testing.

Update: Day 3 - assembly

She's alive. Alive and working. I have yet to do any extensive load testing but everything seems to be operational at the moment.

Spoiler

iaqYUjY.jpgP4Rzj50.jpg

XRQO55n.jpg

vYOM8Km.jpgL8LQPAz.jpg

BIvRoHH.jpg

That seems like a really cool idea and if you can make it look cool I'm sure we would love to see pictures of the final product... but for the love all that is holy, dust your current computer before doing this :D

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

1 minute ago, Bangflop said:

That seems like a really cool idea and if you can make it look cool I'm sure we would love to see pictures of the final product... but for the love all that is holy, dust your current computer before doing this :D

To be clear, this is not my old machine. I just bought it off some wedding agency, who had no clue what they were selling and had not opened it ever. On the bright side, they were selling it way cheaper than they could have. It is currently in this sorry state but not for long. :D 

1 minute ago, Corwin111 said:

To be clear, this is not my old machine. I just bought it off some wedding agency, who had no clue what they were selling and had not opened it ever. On the bright side, they were selling it way cheaper than they could have. It is currently in this sorry state but not for long. :D 

lol fair enough. It would just be a shame to have such a beautiful computer ruined by two inches of dust is all. But still, I would love to see pictures of the finished product.

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Looking forward to this, would be nice to see what other people can do when they don't have Linus' influence in prices (Even though he protests he doesn't use it). Hope you can make something good looking out of it.

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

nice build :P

here's a video you should really watch just to get some extra juice out of that i5

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

OP Updated with pictures from today's cleaning and Christmas decoration. :)

Barring any hiccups, tomorrow I will paint the GPU shroud, make the sleeved PSU cables and put the whole thing together. 

xll2NEQ.jpgDOEkWik.jpgRW4hzH3.jpgrF8RgBD.jpgVtT1V4f.jpg

R2qoIPo.jpgwEQ3OIL.jpg6sC9BYd.jpgZcId8wd.jpg0UvqP8D.jpg

3inUYuo.jpg

So far so good. Now put on your gas masks! :D

5EMCTyA.jpg1BDncrD.jpgPP8OWK3.jpgrjf1Lmq.jpgmmqutRF.jpg

IDRU293.jpgwkwj4yB.jpg

uK0jWZs.jpghD6OPHr.jpggLXkVGo.jpg

fJuvzXA.jpg

26 minutes ago, Corwin111 said:

OP Updated with pictures from today's cleaning and Christmas decoration. :)

Barring any hiccups, tomorrow I will paint the GPU shroud, make the sleeved PSU cables and put the whole thing together. 

So far so good. Now put on your gas masks!

This looks pretty nice already. May I ask you how much you spend until now?

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

1 minute ago, Napper198 said:

This looks pretty nice already. May I ask you how much you spend until now?

It will all come to about 600-620 Euros tomorrow when I pay for the 970. No further spending is planned. Knock on wood. ;) 

Update: Day 2 - Sleeving and painting

At this point the house is a mess:

C8wjAvh.jpg

And my dawgs are tired! ^^

qTdpcUj.jpg

But the 970 came in today and it even works fine!  So on we go with painting and sleeving. :)

Spoiler

lQ9zjZr.jpgD5NSB4v.jpg10747077291a4084bc6137331014e5cd.png

wufj4pF.jpgAAwdBPH.jpgg8a5LTr.jpg

krG6dAO.jpg

xqFaD0U.jpg

So far so good. Unfortunately, my pesky real job interupted the process yet again. I will pick this up tomorrow and likely finish the build. After that, a load of testing.

7 hours ago, Corwin111 said:

God damn real jobs, ruining all the fun!

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

Update: Day 3 - assembly

She's alive. Alive and working. I have yet to do any extensive load testing but everything seems to be operational at the moment.

iaqYUjY.jpgP4Rzj50.jpg

XRQO55n.jpg

vYOM8Km.jpgL8LQPAz.jpg

BIvRoHH.jpg

Have you got any more modifications to make to it now or is it just software stuff?

1 minute ago, abyss03 said:

Have you got any more modifications to make to it now or is it just software stuff?

Well, there's a lot more I could have done. I could have painted the inside of the GPU shroud, because now it looks a bit odd when the LEDs are not on.

But it's too late now. MSI have decided to be very obnoxious with their shroud and even though it looks easy to remove, you need to take off the entire heat sink, voiding the warranty in the process, in order to remove the stupid MSI logo LED so the red part of the shroud can be painted. And I don't want to expose the die any more than I absolutely have to. So it will stay as it is. I should have thought of it earlier.

I could have also painted the entire PSU cover part of the case white, but it's too late now. 

I think I'll leave it as it is. All that remains is running a few benchmarks and stress tests to gouge temps and performance and I guess I'm done. I will share the results when I get around to it.